Recalled/Assigned: Flame Call Up Chad Billins, Reto Berra; Joey MacDonald Waived

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well Being waived doesn't mean he is being sent down. Doesn't it? I am pretty sure if he goes unclaimed he will still be on the NHL team, it just means now we can send him down/call up any time. We did this with Irving last year. We do have two open spots after Gio and Stempniak went down anyways.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well Being waived doesn't mean he is being sent down. Doesn't it? I am pretty sure if he goes unclaimed he will still be on the NHL team, it just means now we can send him down/call up any time. We did this with Irving last year. We do have two open spots after Gio and Stempniak went down anyways.

I believe that we called Smith up when Gio went down so we only have 1 spot free (for Billins)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
3 extras right now (assuming no lineup changes other than Berra/MacDonald) would be Billins, Jackman and.... MacDonald? Assuming Breen's on IR, that is.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I like the fact that this opens up chances for Ramo, Berra, Ortio, Brossoit without one of them having to play in the ECHL.

That said, if none of them prove capable, that could be pretty disastrous.

Quite honestly we are probably waiting for Jon Gillies or making a deal a few years from now when we are ready to compete for a Schneider, Bernier type like the Devils and Leafs made.

In the meantime we may as well roll Ramo, Berra, Ortio, and Brossoit as the 4 goalies in Calgary and Abby and see if one of them emerges.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
I don't like this. Not that I'm a massive supporter of Joey Mac to be our number 1, but to not have him as at least our backup is ridiculous. Two unproven(well, one sort of proved that he's not there yet) is dumb. Smells too tanky to me. I don't wanna tank. I've enjoyed every game so far, good or bad. Losing Joey means "bad".

That said, I'll give Berra a chance for now.....since there isn't really a choice in the matter anyway.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't like this. Not that I'm a massive supporter of Joey Mac to be our number 1, but to not have him as at least our backup is ridiculous. Two unproven(well, one sort of proved that he's not there yet) is dumb. Smells too tanky to me. I don't wanna tank. I've enjoyed every game so far, good or bad. Losing Joey means "bad".

That said, I'll give Berra a chance for now.....since there isn't really a choice in the matter anyway.

What has Joey Mac done to prove he is any better than Ramo/Berra? He is suppose to be the veteran who has been through it all but makes more rookies mistakes than the other 2. Out of the 3 goalies Mac is the least skilled that combined with the fact that he is making mental errors during the game (some of the goals he has allowed are just way to soft) make it impossible to not give Berra a chance when he has been great on the Heat.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
Joey Mac has given us way more chances to win than Ramo. Feel free to prove me wrong..

Last edited by a moderator:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It doesn't hurt us to see what Berra has. I wouldn't be surprised if MacDonald goes unclaimed. If he isn't then we haven't lost that option.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Joey Mac has given us way more chances to win than Ramo. Feel free to prove me wrong..

Sure just looking at 5v5 Ramo has allowed 2.9 GA per 60 min while Mac is at 3.23 and Ramo has seen an average of 29 shots against per 60 min versus Mac at 25.5.

While their overall stats looked very similar Ramo has not only been better 5v5 but has had to do more and gets less goal support. The reason his numbers aren't as good as they should be is due to pking where he has had to go against OV and the Caps as well as the majority of the Cally teams and Mac has seen weaker competition.

Basically Ramo is better.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
It doesn't hurt us to see what Berra has. I wouldn't be surprised if MacDonald goes unclaimed. If he isn't then we haven't lost that option.

That's fine, for now. He will get claimed though, and it will be our most significant loss this season, guranteed

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

I don't see how having those two Gs is worse off than having Joey Mac in there.

He's never been much of a winner at the NHL level with limited consistency and very average/below average numbers. At a quick glance, his NHL career record is 42-60-15. Heck, his numbers in the AHL are average at best. The last time his AHL numbers were an improvement over Berra's (admittedly very limited) AHL numbers was 9 years ago. Outside of last year, MacDonald has played more NHL games than AHL games in a season only once and that was with the Isles in 08/09, when they finished dead last.

Let's be real.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
wcIudQj.jpg

I hope Berra gets the start to be honest, I was moderately impressed with him at last year's Spengler Cup.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I'm not talking about Ramo, I'm talking about it seems like the person who ran your account when it was Ed Whalen, is not you.

And regarding Mac, what has he done? He hasn't shown us that he's capable of being a starter, he hasn't shown he can carry this team in the playoffs either, so what's the loss? Ramo has more room to grow his game than Mac does, and Berra has also shown some great play on the Heat. Hartley knows more about hockey than anyone on here, he's very high on Berra, it's weighted risk worth taking.

Mac is a career backup at best, we have two other options with more potential so let's see what we got there. Goalies like Mac are very easy to replace, we acquired him on waivers I don't see a loss here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
wcIudQj.jpg

I hope Berra gets the start to be honest, I was moderately impressed with him at last year's Spengler Cup.

For Berra's confidence I hope he doesn't start tonight. 2 weeks in the nhl and then plays Chicago, man talk about throwing him to the wolves. Ramo should start tonight and Berra should get the wild (and then Colorado on the b2b)

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
Sure just looking at 5v5 Ramo has allowed 2.9 GA per 60 min while Mac is at 3.23 and Ramo has seen an average of 29 shots against per 60 min versus Mac at 25.5.

While their overall stats looked very similar Ramo has not only been better 5v5 but has had to do more and gets less goal support. The reason his numbers aren't as good as they should be is due to pking where he has had to go against OV and the Caps as well as the majority of the Cally teams and Mac has seen weaker competition.

Basically Ramo is better.

With Joey Mac playing, they are more confident, hence the shot comparisons. Don't forget that we are humans.

If you watch the games(and I'm sure you do) the difference is huge. The Flames just play better in front of Joey Mac. AS i SAID BEFORE, i DON'T WANT HIM AS OUR NUMBER ONE. tIME WILL TELL i SUPPOSE. bERRA HAS HIS SHOT, THE SAME AS rAMO DID. Sorry, not yelling, didn't notice the caps lock thing, too lazy to change it, haha.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
With Joey Mac playing, they are more confident, hence the shot comparisons. Don't forget that we are humans.

If you watch the games(and I'm sure you do) the difference is huge. The Flames just play better in front of Joey Mac. AS i SAID BEFORE, i DON'T WANT HIM AS OUR NUMBER ONE. tIME WILL TELL i SUPPOSE. bERRA HAS HIS SHOT, THE SAME AS rAMO DID. Sorry, not yelling, didn't notice the caps lock thing, too lazy to change it, haha.

I strongly disagree with this logic. They have allowed more shots because
1) Ramo has played the more offensive teams hence more shots
2) Ramo has played a larger number of his games after Gio went down compared to Mac hence more shots
4) The team generates 30 shots for with Ramo versus Macs 26 so the team is generating more offensively and giving up better chances against (So Ramo's GAA should be higher not lower)
3) MacDonald got to start the majority of the first 2 weeks before injuries and fatigue set in hence less shots.

Nothing suggests the team is more confident with Mac.

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
I strongly disagree with this logic. They have allowed more shots because
1) Ramo has played the more offensive teams hence more shots
2) Ramo has played a larger number of his games after Gio went down compared to Mac hence more shots
4) The team generates 30 shots for with Ramo versus Macs 26 so the team is generating more offensively and giving up better chances against (So Ramo's GAA should be higher not lower)
3) MacDonald got to start the majority of the first 2 weeks before injuries and fatigue set in hence less shots.

Nothing suggests the team is more confident with Mac.
If injuries and fatigue are our main problem after a month, then okay, I'm with the tank it crew. It would seem that every flame fan in the world is ready for his departure, so be it. It's ridiculous to think that Berra or Ramo are going to steal any games for us. Just my opinion, however wrong you may think it is.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
If injuries and fatigue are our main problem after a month, then okay, I'm with the tank it crew. It would seem that every flame fan in the world is ready for his departure, so be it. It's ridiculous to think that Berra or Ramo are going to steal any games for us. Just my opinion, however wrong you may think it is.

So wait I have given statistical proof, as well as several reason for the numbers and you just dismiss it and go with your gut based on nothing?

Injuries will have an effect on game 1 how can that not be obvious. Fatigue doesn't mean they are tired the second they step on the ice but on the longest road trip of the year fatigue is going to play a role. The belief that they can play for weeks on end before they should get tired at all is moronic.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad