Recalled/Assigned: Flame Call Up Chad Billins, Reto Berra; Joey MacDonald Waived

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Iginla never complained and he's always accepted responsibility...?

I think there's two points here. I always remember when Iggy was admonishing the team's performance, there was always a "myself included" or "and it starts with me" or "I know I need to be better."

In addition, people don't treat goalies' an players' comments the same way. I saw a lot of it when Luongo was the captain of the Canucks and I used to listen to Vancouver sports radio. A goalie is a completely separate position. Sure, if he has a bad game, he can be accountable, but when the team loses despite the goalie playing well, there is no way to comment on that without sounding like you're throwing your team under the bus. This was a big reason why Luongo is no longer the captain.

In this case, though, Joey seems out of line, because he isn't the captain. His response should have been limited to owning up to his own mistakes which cost us the game, because there is no expectation for him to comment on the team performance other than some canned, positive response.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not surprised by this. I was sure we were going to see a Ramo/Berra tandem by Christmas, just happened a little sooner.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I like the fact that this opens up chances for Ramo, Berra, Ortio, Brossoit without one of them having to play in the ECHL.

That said, if none of them prove capable, that could be pretty disastrous.

and this season it is not the end of the world

In this case, though, Joey seems out of line, because he isn't the captain. His response should have been limited to owning up to his own mistakes which cost us the game, because there is no expectation for him to comment on the team performance other than some canned, positive response.

agreed but dont think it has anything to do with the waiving

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Joey made similar comments after I believe his first game with Calgary. He's definitely not shy. Anyway, sucks to see him go. Hopefully Berra can rise to the occasion.

It is starting to get interesting to see which goalie emerges as the best. Broissoit vs. Ortio on the Heat is now an intriguing subplot in this drama.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
MacDonald let in way too many softies in just about every game he played. Berra is probably being a rushed a bit, but the organization might as well see what they have in him. Plus, it lets Ortio finally get some starts in the AHL, assuming Ward doesn't immediately name MacDonald the starter or he's claimed by another team.

But the organization does need to show both Berra and Ramo some patience; both will likely require some time to adjust to the North American game after spending so long in Europe.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's pretty interesting how you only really show up after a few losses in a row, in all the time that I have been here I don't think you're ever around for many wins. Not 100% sure why that is, if you don't want to celebrate at all as a fan then why are you a fan?

At this point I'm not even certain if you are even a hockey fan. MacDonald is certainly getting on in years now and his talent level is of a backup but he's been one of the most reliable backups in the league for the past decade.

By the way there is a lot more to English punctuation than just "....". I understand that all you have to write is crap, but it doesn't mean you have to write crappily. Are people supposed to take your comments seriously when you can barely communicate past a rudimentary level?

No comment on the personal attack...

As for Macdonald, before his time with the Flames, he has not been even a regular backup for any stretch of time, let alone a reliable backup,check your fact.

By the way, cheering for a high draft pick is not trying to insult the Flames, that's the best wish for them.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah, I don't necessarily think that Joey Mac's comments after the game had an influence on this decision, but I believe he fully understood the situation and knew that he was likely being waived after yet another awful performance.

He is a swell teammmate and even nicer guy but at the end of the day he is an incredibly mediocre NHL goaltender.

Best of luck to him (I hope he gets picked up).

It's Reto Berra time, boys!
I will also be nice to see what Joni Ortio can do as a full time starter in Abbotsford. To this point in the season he is 5-1 (ECHL + AHL) and has some fairly impressive numbers.

This is a decision I can fully support

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
His comments weren't that bad, but show a little lack of accountability. Tatar's goal wasn't "lucky," it was a bad goal on Mac. I think his performance has everything to do with the demotion, not so much the comments. It also makes you appreciate the way Kiprusoff went about his business. Not once in nine seasons did you hear a complaint out of this guy. He didn't care if his own guys were screening him, he'd fight to see the puck. He'd always wear the blame after a post-loss interview and always gave the guys around him credit when they won. I don't miss Iginla at all, but I really miss Kiprusoff. Too bad we wasted the prime years of an elite goaltender.

I don't agree with not missing Iggy but Kipper was a true class act and never complained regardless of how bad things got. Not only did he not complain but he bailed us out on bad nights much more often than we did on his bad nights. Kipper is dearly missed and I wish we would bring him in as a goalie consultant due to Ramo admitting he looked up to him (I would assume Berra did just not as much) and he would be great with teaching them how to deal with the pressure here.

gdaddy21

Dec 31, 2010
I have a feeling that Joni Ortio will be in the flames dressing room around February

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Berra has a better resume in hockey than Ramo does and Ramo has been far from a shining light for the Flames so far. They ought to go wit Berra straight away to see if he can hack it. If not - keep looking.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
It's no wonder Berra ended up in Calgary and now has been called up to play with the big club, Hartley knows what Berra is capable of as he coached Zurich a couple of years ago. Let's just hope he's given a real chance and not a one-game tryout..

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I wish all of these players the best, I hope MacDonald won't get claimed, probably will though. I thought that at least one team would have some interest in him (trade-wise).

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Remember all the comments after the Bouw trade saying he'd never even come over to North America?

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
It's pretty interesting how you only really show up after a few losses in a row, in all the time that I have been here I don't think you're ever around for many wins. Not 100% sure why that is, if you don't want to celebrate at all as a fan then why are you a fan?

At this point I'm not even certain if you are even a hockey fan. MacDonald is certainly getting on in years now and his talent level is of a backup but he's been one of the most reliable backups in the league for the past decade.

By the way there is a lot more to English punctuation than just "....". I understand that all you have to write is crap, but it doesn't mean you have to write crappily. Are people supposed to take your comments seriously when you can barely communicate past a rudimentary level?

(bolding mine)
That's a heck of an assertion to make when you're questioning someone's hockey knowledge. I'm not sure even MacDonald would say this.

I like the move. I've only ever seen Berra play in last year's Spengler Cup. He didn't really impress me then, but I can't wait to see what he brings to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->