Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
McCann is the spark plug and lightning this team needed. He put a jolt of energy in our asses. The guy makes plays all over the ice in every situation. He’s a threat short handed. He’s a threat in the top six. He’s a sharpshooter all over the ice with an empty net.

He did more on one shift than Brassard did his entire tenure with the Pens. He’s a real pain in the ass to play against. He’s on people like flies on ****.
Not a Pens fan at all but this is very true. What a solid acquisition by the Pens and an absolute steal of a trade as Nick looks pretty good as well. Pens always find good deals....

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Not a Pens fan at all but this is very true. What a solid acquisition by the Pens and an absolute steal of a trade as Nick looks pretty good as well. Pens always find good deals....

All in all it's true that JR usually makes solid trades, but the same can't be said about his UFA signings
Hunwick 2 summers ago, JJ this past summer

Anyways back to the topic, Brassard was simply not working out here and he turned Brassard into Bjug + got a steal in McCann by send Sheanan

Reactions: Hockeygod66 and BHD

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
All in all it's true that JR usually makes solid trades, but the same can't be said about his UFA signings
Hunwick 2 summers ago, JJ this past summer

Anyways back to the topic, Brassard was simply not working out here and he turned Brassard into Bjug + got a steal in McCann by send Sheanan
In his defence, UFA rarely works out for many, unless it's a surefire guy ala Tavares....Sweeney for example hasn't been very good in UFA (see Backes/Beleskey), though the Wagner signing has been a pleasant surprise on the small scale.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Includes a good player to get rid of a useful but somewhat overpaid player. Dale Tallon is amazing.

I don't even feel like Bjugstad is even overpaid in the first place. I really don't think Florida had to use McCann as a sunk asset to trade him, they could have found a taker for Bjugstad by himself.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
McCann is the spark plug and lightning this team needed. He put a jolt of energy in our asses. The guy makes plays all over the ice in every situation. He’s a threat short handed. He’s a threat in the top six. He’s a sharpshooter all over the ice with an empty net.

He did more on one shift than Brassard did his entire tenure with the Pens. He’s a real pain in the ass to play against. He’s on people like flies on ****.
He's like a LHS Rust. I am perfectly fine with adding another Rust to our team. I know he's killing it with Sid, but once Rusty comes back id love to see:

Guentzel Crosby Rust
McCann Malkin Kessel
Simon Bjugstad Hornqvist
Bleuger Cullen ZAR

That lineup right there could be a world beater.

Reactions: Trade and wej20

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't even feel like Bjugstad is even overpaid in the first place. I really don't think Florida had to use McCann as a sunk asset to trade him, they could have found a taker for Bjugstad by himself.
especially now with the way salaries are going up. I think that the disappointment with Bjugstad was that so much more was expected of him. Looking back on it now, he was just about set up perfectly to show well when he was on the Gophers with Rau, Haula, and Schmidt feeding him on the PP. Skjei and Mike Reilly were also on the team. That's a lot of offense for a college team.

Last edited:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He's like a LHS Rust. I am perfectly fine with adding another Rust to our team. I know he's killing it with Sid, but once Rusty comes back id love to see:

Guentzel Crosby Rust
McCann Malkin Kessel
Simon Bjugstad Hornqvist
Bleuger Cullen ZAR

That lineup right there could be a world beater.

any update on Rust? how far away is he from returning?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
especially now with the way salaries are going up. I think that the disappointment with Bjugstad was that so much more was expected of him. Looking back on it now, he was just about set up perfectly to show well when he was on the Gophers with Rau, Haula, and Schmidt feeding him on the PP. Skjei and Mike Reilly were also on the team. That's a lot of offense for a college team.
Obviously, it would have been nice for him to be 50 point player, but at this point people knew he was closer to a 40 point guy. Also, he was moved because he was costly and the Panthers have a lot of depth at the RW position. As soon as next season he could have been the number 4 RW on the team. It doesn't make sense to keep him at that point in time.
Getting picks and players to flip at the deadline was good for the Panthers. It's a shame the cost of getting rid of Bjug was McCann though. I liked him quite a bit.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Obviously, it would have been nice for him to be 50 point player, but at this point people knew he was closer to a 40 point guy. Also, he was moved because he was costly and the Panthers have a lot of depth at the RW position. As soon as next season he could have been the number 4 RW on the team. It doesn't make sense to keep him at that point in time.
Getting picks and players to flip at the deadline was good for the Panthers. It's a shame the cost of getting rid of Bjug was McCann though. I liked him quite a bit.

Does it make sense to trade Bjugstad and McCann for picks? What is the chances that a late 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick (from trading Brassard), and two 4th round picks that any of them will even produce one player as good as Bjugstad 26 or McCann 22 let alone both. McCann only being 22 is the kind of guy you hope a pick will produce and you are looking 5 years down the road to even have a shot at a guy that good. Bjugstad’s contract is not bad at all for a guy coming off a 49 point season. In today’s NHL it is what you have to pay. Do you think the Panthers will be able to get better bargains in the UFA market? Not likely because UFA’s almost always get overpaid.

Bjugstad seems like a great fit so far for our 3rd line Center and McCann looks like another Rust or better which is a great add for the Pens.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don’t know, I’m not trying to pile onto Florida. But, if they strike out on Panarin and only get Bob how dumb does this move look?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It also helps that McCann is playing with Crosby.

McCann isn’t really getting any points off Crosby though. He just got on that line a few games ago, and I don’t think they have factored in on any goals together either.

McCann has basically gotten all of his goals by himself really and the goal he setup yesterday was to Guentzel.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Florida is really good at just giving away talent huh?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Stone hands McCanns. ;)

Rust had some bad mitts/tunnel vision at that age to, but it never stopped him from being effective. McCann will hopefully develop the same way.

That’s exactly why he is a winger, not the the third pivot of the future.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rust had some bad mitts/tunnel vision at that age to, but it never stopped him from being effective. McCann will hopefully develop the same way.

That’s exactly why he is a winger, not the the third pivot of the future.

Blueger is.

McCann can play 3C well. Just that he is a much better winger with his speed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Blueger is.

McCann can play 3C well. Just that he is a much better winger with his speed.

I love what Bjugstad is doing there with his big body. He gets that long stick in lanes and just clogs things up and he’s gotta be one of their leading players for forcing turnovers since he moved to pivot. He’s also really good at carrying the puck up ice and using the entire ice. He’s like a pterodactyl in the middle and that’s what they have been missing since Staal.

He’s just very Staal like in so many ways including temperament... and the third line has looked about as good as it has since when Bonino was actually playing well.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Miss you in Vancouver McCann....Our stud GM just flogged you off for no reason...not the only time we have given up on a young player, probably not the last win Dim Sum Jim at the helm

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So, it's been 20 games now. Let's evaluate how the trade's gone in comparison to my expectations.

I expected Bjugstad to suck. He's sucked. Had some nice bounces early, scored a few more points than expected but overall, he still has sucked. I honestly think, considering opportunity and linemates, Riley Sheahan has likely been better for Panthers than Bjugstad for Penguins. Bjugstad just is a bad, bad player. So no surprise there.

So, let's say Sheahan and Bjugstad just about cancel each other out. taking into account the Brassard trade by Panthers and what they received off it(assuming Pens would have received the same package), the trade's McCann and a 6th for 4th, 4th, 2nd, 3rd. I think that's too steep for McCann. They could have gotten better value for that array of picks.

Panthers win.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don’t know, I’m not trying to pile onto Florida. But, if they strike out on Panarin and only get Bob how dumb does this move look?
Not dumb at all. Bjugstad was pretty much useless here. McCann has his moments but nothing more. This trade works well for both sides.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
So, it's been 20 games now. Let's evaluate how the trade's gone in comparison to my expectations.

I expected Bjugstad to suck. He's sucked. Had some nice bounces early, scored a few more points than expected but overall, he still has sucked. I honestly think, considering opportunity and linemates, Riley Sheahan has likely been better for Panthers than Bjugstad for Penguins. Bjugstad just is a bad, bad player. So no surprise there.

So, let's say Sheahan and Bjugstad just about cancel each other out. taking into account the Brassard trade by Panthers and what they received off it(assuming Pens would have received the same package), the trade's McCann and a 6th for 4th, 4th, 2nd, 3rd. I think that's too steep for McCann. They could have gotten better value for that array of picks.

Panthers win.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The only way the Panthers win this trade is if the cap space opened up allows them to snag Panarin and Bobrovsky, and even then it’s just a win-win. Bjugstad has been really good, a puck magnet who tires out opponents and is good defending in all areas of the ice. Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist has been really good of late, while Bjugstad hasn’t had a single bad game. It’s too early to know either way with McCann, but he’s looking like “Sid and the twins” might be our first line for the next decade. He’s making great steps every game, has shown a fantastic attitude, and is exactly the kind of player to shoulder a lot of the puck retrieval work that will be key to allowing Crosby to be an offensive dynamo into his late 30s and 40s, if he chooses to play that long. Both are under team control and young.

For all that, the Penguins gave up two older UFAs-to-be playing at an AHL level, and a handful of later picks who won’t make an impact for three to four years at minimum.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I think part of the problem with McCann in Florida was that, the management saw him as a center rather than a winger. He wasn't really producing enough or making players around him better at top 6 center role. He has a slight tunnel vision and his overall skills make him better fit at wing. Behind Barkov and Trocheck it was hard for him and when he was given chances to play in a top 6 center role when either was injured, he wasn't simply taking his opportunity. And he wasn't defensively as strong as Barkov or Trocheck, so those they were even forced to carry the big load both in offense and defense when everyone was healthy. Sheahan is much more a traditional bottom 6 center and has been much better fit in Florida than McCann was at center and that has been the reason why it has allowed Barkov to focus more on his offense and scoring in the last few weeks. Now Barkov has risen to top 20 in NHL scoring. Since this trade he has scored 30 points in 20 games.

Bjugstad needed a change of scenery and lower expectations. But still what I've seen of him in Pittsburgh he's just not playing skilled enough game or produce enough consistently to be regular in top 6. 3rd line winger role is the ideal for him imo and there he can keep his game more simple, to drive the net and play his own way. However with 4.1 million cap hit he's slightly overpaid. He's not great defensively either like someone like Cullen and you don't want him on the ice in the last seconds when you're defending a one goal lead. He can be tough to handle but I'm interested to see how it works, Pens are interesting to follow for Panthers now with Gudbranson who divided opinions there too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Panthers win.

The idiocy in this post is astounding. Just absolutely baseless comments.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad