Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Moving away from Bjugstad is a win regardless of how he plays in Pittsburgh. If he shines, that's awesome for him but he needed a career restart. As for his 47 point season, that came when playing a big part of the season next to Barkov and they couldn't re-create that chemistry this year. For a third line winger, he's overpaid; as a 3C he just wasn't working out here for some reason. Plus despite his size he seems to be made of glass - maybe some of it is just bad luck but it's kind of a relief not to worry if/when he's going to get hurt again and if injuries will make him a detriment to the team like he was in 2016/17.

I do wish we could have kept McCann. Some fans seemed to dislike him because he came in the trade for future captain shutdown D playoff-star-that-shut-down-Tavares Erik Gudbranson. Also, the expectations on McCann were to play in the NHL right away and when he needed AHL time, people immediately saw him as a disappointment (kinda unfair with a 20 year old kid). Plus, like has been mentioned above, he never really showed much offensive potential - apart from a few flashes, he was always kinda "just there", "not hurting us but not helping". Which, again, isn't bad for a 22 year old kid but it seemed to turn fans against him.

I also think this is like a micro-retool? The 2016/17 team was supposed to make the playoffs - failed (Rowe the GM/coach took the majority of the blame, plus aging players like Jagr and Jokinen being meh/awful, plus we blamed injuries). 2017/18 was supposed to make the playoffs - failed, blamed it on injuries + learning new systems + bad luck when 96 points didn't get us in. 2018/19, we're again on the outside looking in - this year we're blaming the goaltending and the D to an extent, and I'm not saying our goaltending hasn't been horrendous and the n.1 issue but still. Something's got to change because this team is not getting it done and we're wasting years of Barkov-Trocheck-Huberedau and their sweet contracts, so for better or worse Bjugstad and McCann were the spare parts moved.

I guess my point is Bjugstad and McCann were decent enough players you could do better than what you got back. Which is a 2nd a couple fourths and two UFAs that kinda blow.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Florida has AHL level goaltending, not something Bjugstad or McCann can change. Pittsburgh forward depth was obviously an issue for you guys, but it isn't for the Panthers. You raising that point really show how little you know about the Panthers and it really helps me understand why your take on the "winning of the trade" was so off.
You’re right, I don’t follow the Panthers very closely. But my initial post was in response to someone claiming the Panthers had clearly won the trade, and the wording was such that the Penguins had clearly lost. That is overwhelmingly false as I demonstrated with my “take.” The trade is already a huge win for the Pens, and that’s simply not debatable. Bjugstad and McCann are incalculably more valuable to the Pens than Brassard, Sheahan, and a handful of mid-range picks.

Reactions: klabob

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I guess my point is Bjugstad and McCann were decent enough players you could do better than what you got back. Which is a 2nd a couple fourths and two UFAs that kinda blow.
That's legit, yeah. Was this really THE best return? Couldn't they have been moved separately?
The timing might be the key here, maybe? Wanting to have that cap space clear before FA, and to do that, the trade deadline is really the best opportunity. Although you don't need to be cap compliant in the offseason so IDK.
As a fan, I personally hoped to get a better return for Brassard, but it is what it is. Sheahan might be re-signed so we'll see how that goes.
Anyway ifwe have a big offseason and if we make the playoffs next year, I don't care much if we sold a little low here. If we blow that, yeah this doesn't look too great.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's legit, yeah. Was this really THE best return? Couldn't they have been moved separately?
The timing might be the key here, maybe? Wanting to have that cap space clear before FA, and to do that, the trade deadline is really the best opportunity. Although you don't need to be cap compliant in the offseason so IDK.
As a fan, I personally hoped to get a better return for Brassard, but it is what it is. Sheahan might be re-signed so we'll see how that goes.
Anyway ifwe have a big offseason and if we make the playoffs next year, I don't care much if we sold a little low here. If we blow that, yeah this doesn't look too great.

I mean, maybe I’m off considering what certain players went for, but Bjugstad is a lesser version of Granlund who returned Fiala and McCann is that ideal bottom six forward that every playoff team is looking for.

Just weird trade from Florida’s perspective, but when you hear they were in on Stone it makes a little more sense.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I just don’t see how a trade works well when a team is giving away a 22 year old on a cost effective contract..
Ok let me break it down. Bjugstad was not good here for his price tag. He got worse offensively every year. McCann was not bad, he showed flashes but then would disappear for stretches. He’s playing with Crosby and on a great team so naturally he’s producing. He wouldn’t have done that here. Getting rid of Bjugstad was worth including McCann.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I mean, maybe I’m off considering what certain players went for, but Bjugstad is a lesser version of Granlund who returned Fiala and McCann is that ideal bottom six forward that every playoff team is looking for.

Just weird trade from Florida’s perspective, but when you hear they were in on Stone it makes a little more sense.
Bjugstad is a super lesser version of Granlund. They’re not in the same stratosphere of skill.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ok let me break it down. Bjugstad was not good here for his price tag. He got worse offensively every year. McCann was not bad, he showed flashes but then would disappear for stretches. He’s playing with Crosby and on a great team so naturally he’s producing. He wouldn’t have done that here. Getting rid of Bjugstad was worth including McCann.

Bjugstad is exactly the type of player 4 million gets you. You realize Carl Hagelin costs 4 million dollars on a contract signed 3 years ago. If he was anymore consistent Bjugstad would be a steal of a contract.

Most of McCann’s production has come without Sid.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Bjugstad is exactly the type of player 4 million gets you. You realize Carl Hagelin costs 4 million dollars on a contract signed 3 years ago. If he was anymore consistent Bjugstad would be a steal of a contract.

Most of McCann’s production has come without Sid.
You simply are not comprehending how bad Bjugstad was for Florida outside of one year on the top line having pucks go in off of him.

Most Cats fans agreed he could do well with a change of scenery. As for McCann, we paid him to get rid of Bjugstad.

If we have a big offseason and they play well for you -- it's a win, win.

Florida doing nothing this year and going into the next with the same roster would have been insanity.

Reactions: Laus723

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Don’t think this trade happens without McCann. If he wasn’t moving the needle in a Florida, why not take a 2nd and clear some cap, even if it was minimal? They have a decent F group already.

Imo this is a great example of a fair win-win trade that was perfect for the place each franchise is in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You simply are not comprehending how bad Bjugstad was for Florida outside of one year on the top line having pucks go in off of him.

Most Cats fans agreed he could do well with a change of scenery. As for McCann, we paid him to get rid of Bjugstad.

If we have a big offseason and they play well for you -- it's a win, win.

Florida doing nothing this year and going into the next with the same roster would have been insanity.

I don’t see how a player putting up 30-40 points on an ELC or 4 million dollar deal is “so bad”.

That would be like Pens fans saying Conor Sheary is “so bad”. Oh wait, I know what you mean in terms of a certain sect of fans now!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Bjugstad to Granlund comparison just seems really weird. The comparison I keep thinking of with Bjugstad is Coyle, who is also a big middle-6 C/RW. But with Coyle, he brought back Donato straight up. Sure, Coyle is better and cheaper than Bjugstad, but I don't think the $1 million extra and being slightly better is the difference between negative value and Donato.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don’t see how a player putting up 30-40 points on an ELC or 4 million dollar deal is “so bad”.

That would be like Pens fans saying Conor Sheary is “so bad”. Oh wait, I know what you mean in terms of a certain sect of fans now!
Becuase he was carried to a point and was offensively garbage. He is nothing but wasted potential. He had no space on this team for his price tag. This can really be a good trade for both teams, if you want to win then win I guess lol.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Don’t think this trade happens without McCann. If he wasn’t moving the needle in a Florida, why not take a 2nd and clear some cap, even if it was minimal? They have a decent F group already.

Imo this is a great example of a fair win-win trade that was perfect for the place each franchise is in.
Thank you. It’s really not a hard concept. Florida gets rid of a player not in their plans and has to give up a decently promising player for picks. Bjugstad jsut wasn’t good here. However he performs in Pitt is not in my mind at all. He had his chance to produce here and didn’t.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Florida clearly didn't get enough back, but Bjugstad has 20 pts this year. Granlund has 53.

That's a similar pt difference between Granlund and Crosby, but it would be equally ridiculous to call Granlund a "lesser version of Crosby".

Unless you were talking about style and not quality. In which case, you would still be way off as Granlund and Bjugstad don't really play alike.

Just a really odd comparison.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Becuase he was carried to a point and was offensively garbage. He is nothing but wasted potential. He had no space on this team for his price tag. This can really be a good trade for both teams, if you want to win then win I guess lol.

I don’t think it is about winning. I totally get the idea of moving a piece that doesn’t fit. The Penguins have done it a lot recently and this was an example with Sheahan / Brassard.

I just feel like Florida could’ve done much better than a couple picks is all. And Bjugstad’s contract is pretty much fair value in today’s NHL for his versatility at RW and C and his point production. I guess I just think it is weird Florida HAD to add McCann to move Bjugstad.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Florida clearly didn't get enough back, but Bjugstad has 20 pts this year. Granlund has 53.

That's a similar pt difference between Granlund and Crosby, but it would be equally ridiculous to call Granlund a "lesser version of Crosby".

Unless you were talking about style and not quality. In which case, you would still be way off as Granlund and Bjugstad don't really play alike.

Just a really odd comparison.

I just mean in terms of trade value. @Empoleon8771 is correct, Coyle is a better example.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I don’t think it is about winning. I totally get the idea of moving a piece that doesn’t fit. The Penguins have done it a lot recently and this was an example with Sheahan / Brassard.

I just feel like Florida could’ve done much better than a couple picks is all. And Bjugstad’s contract is pretty much fair value in today’s NHL for his versatility at RW and C and his point production. I guess I just think it is weird Florida HAD to add McCann to move Bjugstad.

McCann probably HAD to get added to get Florida under the 23 man roster limit.

Edit: And he was the only one on Floridas roster with the salary that Pittsburgh could take on.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I think McCann was the target all along. Bjugstad was added to McCann. This is based on basically no information I have, except JR did mention McCann was a target.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This was a salary clearing trade for this summer. Bob and possibly Panarin are coming to Florida. Period.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The Bjugstad to Granlund comparison just seems really weird. The comparison I keep thinking of with Bjugstad is Coyle, who is also a big middle-6 C/RW. But with Coyle, he brought back Donato straight up. Sure, Coyle is better and cheaper than Bjugstad, but I don't think the $1 million extra and being slightly better is the difference between negative value and Donato.

Granlund is like soo much better nor does he play or is built like Bjugstad...very odd comparison by pixy, but hes done that lately, saying Guds is Trevor Daley lol.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

We got four picks and Shehan, who Tallon wants to sign as our 4C.

If you say things like the bolded, of course it'll seem lopsided in your head. Because it's just not true.

We got three picks from the Pens and then a third for Brassard.

Brassard and Bjugger had similar numbers this year. Pens fans HATED Brass.

McCann being a nice piece is great. He's a good player. Florida wanted to make room for Borgstrom, who has a much higher potential.

most of us are happy to see things going very well for McCann and going well for Bjugstad. And even happier with the space we freed up (assuming Tallon uses it wisely).

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Lol I just looked at Bjugstad's stats. Was thinking he'd be around .75 PPG. Not even at .5 PPG. And he has one more point than Shehan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad