Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
McCann is the spark plug and lightning this team needed. He put a jolt of energy in our asses. The guy makes plays all over the ice in every situation. He’s a threat short handed. He’s a threat in the top six. He’s a sharpshooter all over the ice with an empty net.

He did more on one shift than Brassard did his entire tenure with the Pens. He’s a real pain in the ass to play against. He’s on people like flies on shit.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well, clearly it is still too early to call, as there is a lot of dirt to wipe off Gudbranson and Bjugstad's resume relative to cap-hits and expectations, but McCann for sure is already looking like a success at the cost.

With the Penguins makeup the other two actually looks like fitting in very well also, and certainly Gudbranson has been a pleasant surprise considering how putrid we expected him to be. Him and Petterson are shutting things down and he brings a welcome edge.

Last edited:

Papa044

Aug 2, 2005
Miami, FL
McCann is the spark plug and lightning this team needed. He put a jolt of energy in our asses. The guy makes plays all over the ice in every situation. He’s a threat short handed. He’s a threat in the top six. He’s a sharpshooter all over the ice with an empty net.

He did more on one shift than Brassard did his entire tenure with the Pens. He’s a real pain in the ass to play against. He’s on people like flies on ****.

It also helps that McCann is playing with Crosby.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
It also helps that McCann is playing with Crosby.

Of course. And Guentzel.

But it is clear that what McCann brings is also helping those guys. So far. Admittedly a small sample size, but more than just a handful of games now.
He fits with what they need and how they like to play. And with the Pens, that is the most important thing there is to competitiveness outside of our stars being healthy. Affordable complementary pieces that actually complement.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

He did more on one shift than Brassard did his entire tenure with the Pens. He’s a real pain in the ass to play against. He’s on people like flies on ****.
Imagine giving him and the 32nd pick up for Gudbranson

Reactions: timw33

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
everybody knew that mccann would be good, especially if put the great players on the same line. Bjugstad on the other hand had negative value on the Panthers due to his contract. still put in the right place on the right he can be solid, would never happen on the panthers though I'm sure.

Reactions: Rahooji

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Kudos to the Pens, McCann is a good one. Not the type you give up Florida. He’s got a motor and some skill. :facepalm:

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Agreed, immediately made me not regret giving up a 1st+ for Brassard. Yeah he’s playing with Sid, but he’s also earned that spot in the top line. And Sid doesn’t need the most skilled players in the world to be on his line, just someone who tries really hard and has some wheels

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
People acting like the Panthers didn't put good linemates with McCann couldn't be more wrong. He got opportunities with Huberdeau, Dadonov, Hoffman, etc... The only one he didn't play with is Barkov. He's a good solid player who showed flashes of potential but never reached it. Obviously something has clicked with the Penguins that wasn't clicking with the Panthers. Sucks for the Panthers, but not much more they could have done to help McCann out.

Reactions: I am not exposed

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
People acting like the Panthers didn't put good linemates with McCann couldn't be more wrong. He got opportunities with Huberdeau, Dadonov, Hoffman, etc... The only one he didn't play with is Barkov. He's a good solid player who showed flashes of potential but never reached it. Obviously something has clicked with the Penguins that wasn't clicking with the Panthers. Sucks for the Panthers, but not much more they could have done to help McCann out.

by TOI, it seems McCann's most frequent linemates in Florida were a combination of Malgin, Brouwer, Vatrano, and Bjugstad. Dadonov sneaks into one line combination of his top-six most frequent line combinations.

So...I'm not really thinking he got a whole lot of time with the Panthers' top guys.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
These are not the Gretzkys of negativity.

Gretzky of Negativity is a great title though.

McCann has done more for the Pens than BIG GAME Brassard and Sheahan did combined. And we all thought he was more of a "throw-in" with Bjugs?

Not all of us. There was a lot of wondering about this early doors, particularly when Tallon said they liked McCann but so did Rutherford and sometimes that's the cost of doing business (paraphrasing here).

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
by TOI, it seems McCann's most frequent linemates in Florida were a combination of Malgin, Brouwer, Vatrano, and Bjugstad. Dadonov sneaks into one line combination of his top-six most frequent line combinations.

So...I'm not really thinking he got a whole lot of time with the Panthers' top guys.
yes, those were his most frequent linemates, but he was given opportunities with better guys and did not produce.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
everybody knew that mccann would be good, especially if put the great players on the same line. Bjugstad on the other hand had negative value on the Panthers due to his contract. still put in the right place on the right he can be solid, would never happen on the panthers though I'm sure.
It feels like they Panthers basically had to add McCann in order to dump Bjukstad's contract. Rumor was that they didn't want to give up McCann but Rutherford held strong that he needed to be included to get the Pens to take Nick.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
yes, those were his most frequent linemates, but he was given opportunities with better guys and did not produce.

Well I mean, it depends on what you mean by "opportunity". If very small amounts of TOI count as opportunities, then I guess so.

It feels like they Panthers basically had to add McCann in order to dump Bjukstad's contract. Rumor was that they didn't want to give up McCann but Rutherford held strong that he needed to be included to get the Pens to take Nick.

So it's like Smith and Marchessault - lite, part 2.

Includes a good player to get rid of a useful but somewhat overpaid player. Dale Tallon is amazing.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think the positional change is the largest reason why he is doing so well. His talents are much better utilized on the wing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What a trade by Pittsburgh.

Jared McCann has almost provided more value than Brassard did in his entire Penguins tenure, in 20 games. Another Florida player flourishes leaving that void

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad