Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Do Panthers fans think they'll keep Sheahan?

We've been impressed with his so far. We would certainly like to if the cost isn't too much of course. I believe he would have been traded at the deadline if we were not keen on keeping him past this season. Get the impression that Tallon wants to keep him. I recall he said as much around the trade deadline.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
We've been impressed with his so far. We would certainly like to if the cost isn't too much of course. I believe he would have been traded at the deadline if we were not keen on keeping him past this season. Get the impression that Tallon wants to keep him. I recall he said as much around the trade deadline.

Don't think he's a bad keep, depending on price and contract length. He shows flashes of 3rd line centre but most of the time he's a good 4th line centre who PKs. He did have a patch here where he looked like an AHL call up, which isn't ideal when you make 2.1 million. Given he's a centre (and relatively young) I could see him wanting to test the market come July 1st but if they could lock him up for say 3 years at close to his current price then that's solid for the Cats.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Actually, it's like 3 of you that like Bjugstad for some absurd reason.

But it's also the same guys who liked Gudbranson so I'm guessing it's just an edgy, against the grain mentality.
speaking of gubranson he's been excellent as well

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

But it's also the same guys who liked Gudbranson so I'm guessing it's just an edgy, against the grain mentality.

I think most of us have a positive opinion of Bjugstad so far.

As for Gudbranson I don't recall a single person that didn't hate the trade. But he has kind of shut us up (so far).

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Why should I hate him? Saying it's absurd, that's what I'm talking about. You think people are supposed to see things that way and only that extreme way. You can't comprehend anything beyond that.
This went beyond Bjugstad as a hockey player a long time ago. You have a fetish for him. Same with Gudbranson. They're not that important, either way. That's the point.
You act like your whole watching hockey experience is and has been just watching these two. They are not the worse hockey players of all time. These are not the Gretzkys of negativity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, its early days yet, but they both look damn good, and McCann looks even better than Bjug. That SH goal against Boston had it all: speed, awareness, explosiveness, and the finish, ohhh, mama mia...(chef kiss gesture)

I'll confess that I am no longer convinced Rutherford is infallible. He's missed a lot lately. But this deal has shades of the Perron-For-Hagelin one in 2016. Made a big deal that never went right (Brassard...for whatever reason) and didn't wait around forever before trying to salvage something from it.

Meanwhile Florida gets a 3rd for a depressed value Brass, and Sheahan seems to be fitting in well and can be a long term depth piece. If clearing Bjug and McCann means Florida lands the Russians twins from Columbus, then this one really looks like a win-win-win (third smaller win for Pitt because CBJ probably gets weaker)

Like every fanbase, unfortunately. There was a contingent of Pens fans who wanted to throw Murray down a well 3 weeks ago. And there are a special few out there who still think he's not the real deal.

The thing I love about Rutherford is he quickly moves on when a player he signed or traded for is not working. Perron is a great player and is still producing good numbers for the Blues but for some reason he wasn’t working for us so he traded for Hagelin which helped us win two Cups. I also like how he trades UFA’s for players with term which is good asset management.

You say Rutherford has missed a lot lately? On the trade front I would say he has been a genius. When you take all the trades he has made and look at who he gave up and what he got back it is theft. 3 UFA’s that all had been playing terrible and 1 20 year old prospect that couldn’t stay in the lineup for McCann 22, Pettersson 22, Bjugstad 26, and Gudbranson 27 all with term and all playing well for us. Team got younger and added 4 players for 3 expiring contracts and one prospect that might not make it in the NHL.

As far as free agent signings this summer I think they have been a success also. Cullen was a good addition back to the team and Johnson has literally saved the season with taking top pairing minutes when Dumoulin and Letang had been out. Johnson had a very bad first 25 games but since then has been a +10 playing top 4 minutes nightly. Riikola was another nice free agent signing. I really have no problem with any move Rutherford has done this year. For his time with the Pens he has been amazing in his trades.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
McCann is a really good player. Only 22 aswell....not sure what FLA was thinking

They think Borgstrom is going to stick from here on out. Although im not sure if he's a better fit as 3C than McCann..

I guess they can try to keep Sheahan as well.

Only so many spots and they basically got 4 picks out of that deal so far after trading Brassard.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens really like Bjugstad at center. He fits the model of size and reach with scoring ability. He is also signed for another three years so they believe his best days are ahead of him. GMJR blew it on the Brassard trade badly and at least the Fla deal took some of that fiasco down. Betting on Bob and Panaren as FA is a big risk. If they don't land them, losing those two young players hurts.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
McCann is a really good player. Only 22 aswell....not sure what FLA was thinking
Well in theory, our centers are set with Barkov-Trocheck-Borgstrom and McCann was the odd guy out... I don't exactly love that reasoning though because once somebody gets hurt, we don't have much of a replacement.
He wasn't doing much in FLA offensively although he had shown some flashes and he's been solid defensively. I'm honestly not surprised to see him play at this level, though I wonder if it would have happened in Florida? Still could have kept him, especially at his pricetag. It's also noteworthy that McCann wasn't a "Tallon guy" - we acquired him for Gudbranson during Rowe's brief GM period.
I was pretty happy with moving Bjugstad - decent guy but it clearly wasn't working out, he needed a fresh start badly and commanded over four mill of cap space. McCann we might come to regret, especially given that the return in the trade was pretty meh. Wonder if we should have moved them separately?

As has been said before, the big thing here was clearing cap space "to be aggressive in the free agency and the offseason". Seeing how that goes could be key in evaluating this trade from FLA POV.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
McCann has been great while Bjugstad has been fine. I can see why Panther fans expected more out of him, but he brings an element that's been missing since Jordan Staal left. A big-bodied center who can really hold onto the puck.

Also, I don't think you're going to get an objective response from either side. A certain portion of Panthers were ready to move on from Bjugstad while most Pens fans would take any player over Brassard.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Ugh, imagine how us Canucks fans felt when we found out we traded him for Gudbranson.... ugh

Glad he's doing well in Pittsburgh though, he showed flashes of his skill during his time with the Canucks but was never really given a fair shot in the top 6

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Well in theory, our centers are set with Barkov-Trocheck-Borgstrom and McCann was the odd guy out... I don't exactly love that reasoning though because once somebody gets hurt, we don't have much of a replacement.
He wasn't doing much in FLA offensively although he had shown some flashes and he's been solid defensively. I'm honestly not surprised to see him play at this level, though I wonder if it would have happened in Florida? Still could have kept him, especially at his pricetag. It's also noteworthy that McCann wasn't a "Tallon guy" - we acquired him for Gudbranson during Rowe's brief GM period.
I was pretty happy with moving Bjugstad - decent guy but it clearly wasn't working out, he needed a fresh start badly and commanded over four mill of cap space. McCann we might come to regret, especially given that the return in the trade was pretty meh. Wonder if we should have moved them separately?

As has been said before, the big thing here was clearing cap space "to be aggressive in the free agency and the offseason". Seeing how that goes could be key in evaluating this trade from FLA POV.

Was there not a spot for him on the wing either? Because that is where he is exceling here.

Very fair to say that this is a win-win trade. Both sides should be happy.

Reactions: Mase

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann just made a disgusting play to set up Guentzel for a goal. I am utterly shocked with what I'm seeing from him. I thought he'd be an excellent fit for the Penguins, but I genuinely didn't see this level of play coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
McCann filling that empty net. Glad the new guys r playing well. Bjugstad 8 shots+1 in almost 17mins. Guds look good too. Knew he would look better on a good team where he can just worry about hiMyself and his job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad