Confirmed Trade: [FLA/MTL] Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I see Florida is taking the "Columbus 2019" approach.

How often has a team gone "all in" and came close to winning the Cup when they've basically had zero recent playoff success?
But didn't Columbus come in at the 8th seed? And to their credit they did upset Tampa in the first round. Florida is a legit top-5 team. No reason for them not to go for it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
But didn't Columbus come in at the 8th seed? And to their credit they did upset Tampa in the first round. Florida is a legit top-5 team. No reason for them not to go for it.

It's very rare for a team that didn't have recent playoff success to win the Cup out of nowhere. The playoffs are different and it takes experience in them to learn how to win playoff series. The odds are the Panthers won't win the Cup this year and then going forward they've made it harder to trade for what they need in the future.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

The takeaway from this trade is a reminder that while many organizations can view a price point as an overpay, all it takes is one GM to break the market on the player.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It's very rare for a team that didn't have recent playoff success to win the Cup out of nowhere. The playoffs are different and it takes experience in them to learn how to win playoff series. The odds are the Panthers won't win the Cup this year and then going forward they've made it harder to trade for what they need in the future.

Blues

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Overplayed in the sens of i would like to see a better defenseman at 23 minutes. I looked at the games, I just desagree

You just don't like him but he's earned that 20-23 min per game by actually playing. You need to look a little more without some pre determined outcome. I'm assuming you think top 4D should be more offensive which is the real flaw that many fans have.

Go target guys like Macdonagh and Muzzin who you probably feel are more "popular" and you probably ignore the stuff you are trying to push onto Chiarot. Reality

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
It is rare for any team to with the cup. Chances are the best teams this season happen to include a lot of the best teams last season. That doesn't mean that a top-5 team that wasn't among top contenders last year doesn't have a shot at it this year.

These types of statistics are only true until they are not. Washington were playoff chokers...until they won the cup.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

This probably why they went after a player that logged heavy minutes en route to a cup final last year and why they're heavily pursuing Giroux, who has a ton of playoff experience.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
there's obviously an emotional component to this for Zito. he said as much during presser; they did their due diligence, they paid attention to habs winning 4 rounds in the last two years with him and he moved forward on the leadership intangibles and eye-test. panthers haven't won a round in 26 years. I know chiarot said he'd welcome going back to habs as a UFA, but i don't think it happens. Habs have 2 players like him in savard and Edmundson already signed to term with guhle and possibly harris coming.
Maybe he resigns with Fla, but i don't know their cap situation

Reactions: biblihockey

biblihockey

Mar 15, 2022
Shawinigan
hockeyblog.me
You just don't like him but he's earned that 20-23 min per game by actually playing. You need to look a little more without some pre determined outcome. I'm assuming you think top 4D should be more offensive which is the real flaw that many fans have.

Go target guys like Macdonagh and Muzzin who you probably feel are more "popular" and you probably ignore the stuff you are trying to push onto Chiarot. Reality
No sorry, i do not want either Muzzin or McDonagh. Not all the 4d, but at least one offensive D in the top 4 would be nice. We'll see what happen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No sorry, i do not want either Muzzin or McDonagh. Not all the 4d, but at least one offensive D in the top 4 would be nice. We'll see what happen

What team do you cheer for? Panthers? You talking about none of your guys are offensive? I think Ekblad is doing fine if you are talking about the Panthers.

Compare your strategy to Tampa's D (which is the best in the NHL). You may think that Sergachev put up points but he really didn't in the playoffs. Ekblad is not Hedman but when he's on his game, he's effective at both ends. Panthers D might not be like Tampa but by adding Chiarot, it's competitive.

What do you want? Avs D style or Tampa's? :sarcasm:

lnUb1Nz.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's pretty rough going forward. Any hope of resigning Chiarot starts with getting Hörnqvist off the books. If that doesn't work out, there's no way we can fit him in.

15 players signed with about $4M in cap space (if the cap is $82M). I'm thinking Chiarot gets around what Risto just got ($5M +/-) and Hornqvist is at $5.3M. Lets say you can move Hornqvist but who's going to take that on without sending a contract back? Everybody is saying the Coyotes but you are not the only team looking to dump a contract to save cap space.

For example purpose, lets say you move Hornqvist but take back someone around $2.5M. Saving about $2.8M. 15 players signed with $6.8M. Lets say Chiarot signs for $4.5M. That's 16 players signed with $2M in cap space. Still 6 or 7 guys to sign. It's not possible cause there is a min contract in the NHL.

From what I see, you can't afford Chiarot and you have to try to move Hornqvist and take little cap hit back as possible (somehow). You are basically going to have to find 7 or 8 guys with about $6M - $7M in cap space after you move Hornqvist.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Florida traded for Chiarot but paid Weber's price.

Chiarot was more effective than Weber in recent seasons. Weber over the last two years was smart enough to survive but his foot speed was horrible and he caused a lot of turnovers when he was smothered by the other teams forecheck. Chiarot was the mobile one on that pairing believe it or not. Disagree? You are basically saying you don't watch the games and trying to play expert but it's more like being ignorant (lack of knowledge)

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
Where are you getting your odds, and what are the exact odds? Since Zito took over, this isn’t the Panthers everyone knows and hates. This team is legit. Every single commentator for the NHL said the Panthers/Tampa series was the best last season, and we were the toughest team for Tampa. We then added Montour,Reinhart, Bennett, lindbolm (he looks good so far) and now Chairot (possibly Giroux) We’ve gotten even tougher, more scoring ability, better D, and our goaltenders have improved. You’re correct about our playoff past, but I think you’re totally wrong about our Cup chances. I can see a Panthers/Avs Cup final.

Reactions: Papa044

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Getting Petry for a 2nd must count, but that was in 2015 as I recall.

Bergevein's two biggest deadline pick ups were Thomas Vanek and Jeff Petry. Both players I fully expected to be dealt for a 1st rounder and in both cases the top pick going back was a 2nd rounder.

It was particularly surprising in the case of Vanek, because the Islanders, earlier that year, had dealt Matt Moulson along with a 1st and a 2nd to get him, and then they ended up swapping him to the Habs for a 2nd rounder and Sebastian Collberg.

Unfortunately, Michel Therriern was coaching the Canadiens at the time and had no clue what do with Vanek and made all kinds of idiotic decisions in terms of ice time and line mates for him in the playoffs, so the good fortune of getting him at such a nice price was largely squandered.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
41 pages for a legendary Eklund trade is disappointing. Should be 82 pages by now.

Many of the people that were regular posters in the Chiarot trade threads the last few months are strangely absent from this one.

So odd that they were so eager and so opinionated about Chiarot when there were threads about him being traded and now they have nothing to say at all after he's been dealt.

It's a real mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad