Confirmed Trade: [FLA/MTL] Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Well the Panthers better win the cup now. There is no other options with the maneuvers they are making. I hate being put in the spot, because the likelihood of that happening for any team in any given year, is low.
Well, you have to go for it when things are going well, there are so many years when teams just don't gel, key players get hurt, etc. Another poster mentioned how the Habs had 3 good years where they kept their 1sts, and could have gone deeper if they'd loaded up a bit (more), and instead added 3 prospects that didn't amount to anything (and were unlikely to do so anyways). Maybe adding Chiarot just gets you to the Final 4, but I'd far rather be in the final 4 than just looking in.
Also, winning begets winning. Winners want to sign with winning teams, so make it to the Final 4 and UFAs will consider your team that much more.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I didnt do the research if they moved the exact 4th they acquired but either way they traded a 4th.
I don't know why your so defensive over it.
Dude....they traded a 4th, yes. They didn't trade Vatrano. They GAINED a 4th from Vatrano. Vatrano has nothing to do with this. Its just objectively false, is all.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well, you have to go for it when things are going well, there are so many years when teams just don't gel, key players get hurt, etc. Another poster mentioned how the Habs had 3 good years where they kept their 1sts, and could have gone deeper if they'd loaded up a bit (more), and instead added 3 prospects that didn't amount to anything (and were unlikely to do so anyways). Maybe adding Chiarot just gets you to the Final 4, but I'd far rather be in the final 4 than just looking in.
Also, winning begets winning. Winners want to sign with winning teams, so make it to the Final 4 and UFAs will consider your team that much more.
I don't agree with the idea that that's "going for it". That's mostly to make fans happy and make a show of going for it.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't agree with the idea that that's "going for it". That's mostly to make fans happy and make a show of going for it.
Well, it's making an improvement for the playoffs, getting a playoff-proven player who fills a need. I think it's a solid move that should be worth the cost.

Reactions: Garnet76

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'd say this is an overpay and I'm fine with it seeing how Ducks have a much better player in Lindholm to move. Giving up a 2023 first is significant as well. I'm lazy so I'll just ask, did Zito sign Bob or was that Tallon?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
A. He doesn't suck.
B. Aren't you tired at crapping on Habs players on the Main Boards for Likes? Fricking HFINO(Hab Fan In Name Only)
A.
Let me put it that way : He has the tools to be decent. And the way he plays may have been dictated by the coaching staff - in fact, this is something that was common too over the past 2-3 years for guys like Romanov, Weber and Edmundson too.

But regardless, he is too aggressive. And that would be the TL;DR for the rest of my post : Over aggressiveness that leads to opponents' scoring chances.

I have nothing against physical play if done properly - i.e. with tangible on-ice impacts. But Chiarot goes for unneeded hits, and in the process, gets out of position really, really often. Going for hits in the neutral zone when the opponent is transitioning at 2 or 3 on 2 is rarely smart. He also takes penalties way, way too often - so even if he can be decent on the PK, he can't be if he's in the box. And he takes as many penalties in the playoffs as during the regular season. Refs don't call less penalties in the playoffs, they just let more go.

He also ends up spending extensive amounts of time in the defensive zone because he's either late to the play or deported himself into the corner to go for a hit, leaving passing lanes - or even opponents - completely open. He has not been an efficient cycle-breaker.

When he plays the transition defense properly, and forces dumps (uncontrolled entries) when he knows one of his teammates (or even himself) has the possibility of recovering, he's decent. He also has a decent shot, and yeah, he's not an exceptional skater but he's not bad either - just his edge work that is meh. Can still be decent in transition, but not more than average. My assessment of his time with the Habs is not as a physical defensive d-man (though "stay at home" d-man isn't a wrong assessment considering the extended amount of time he spent in the d-zone unable to regain control), but rather as a physical d-man, who isn't better offensively than he is defensively and vice-versa.

At the end, if he's not going to fix his aggressiveness issues, he's only going to be as good as his goalie. Price saving his butt several time in last year's playoffs (except against Winnipeg where the Habs were simply cruising, including Chiarot) saved him from costly mistakes.

Do I think he can flourish with Florida's coaching staff? Maybe. I don't know them. What I said above isn't a skillset issue, and it is something that can easily be fixed with proper deployment and coaching. It's playing like it's still the 90s. The Panthers do have a d-man who, before joining them, played like a headless chicken too in Gudas, who has looked pretty decent in my limited viewing of the Panthers. If he's not going to fix anything, I hope they can put him with someone that can cover for his mistakes. With the Habs, Petry-Chiarot (before this petryd season) were much better to me than Weber-Chiarot, as Weber played more of the same.

B.
1) When discussing players and all, I don't post for Likes. I post my opinions, and I'll always be happy to expand on them and discuss with people in good faith, even if they can be controversial. And I'll happily hear counterpoints. I don't want to pretend like I hold the absolute truth either - just like I don't want to pretend like coaches, GMs, etc. hold the absolute truth either. Everyone may have their bias, and constructive arguing can lead to both party realizing stuff they did not think about.
2) When talking about Habs players, I like to take the most unbiased approach possible - even if that's hard. For every "pessimistic" post about Chiarot, Weber, Anderson, Hoffman, Edmundson, Romanov, etc., there were positive posts about Lehkonen aka legit middle-6er and not bottom-6er, Danault-Gally-Tatar aka top 5 line in the league for 3 years, Kulak, Mete, etc. Being a Habs fan doesn't prevent one of having negative opinions about their players.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well, it's making an improvement for the playoffs, getting a playoff-proven player who fills a need. I think it's a solid move that should be worth the cost.
It might, it might not be an improvement. It's called "team" defense for a reason.
And the franchise has to go on beyond the next 3 years. It's not worth the cost if you sell off every valuable prospect and pick that you have and don't win a cup.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

biblihockey

Mar 15, 2022
Shawinigan
hockeyblog.me
Chiarot was more effective than Weber in recent seasons. Weber over the last two years was smart enough to survive but his foot speed was horrible and he caused a lot of turnovers when he was smothered by the other teams forecheck. Chiarot was the mobile one on that pairing believe it or not. Disagree? You are basically saying you don't watch the games and trying to play expert but it's more like being ignorant (lack of knowledge)
I agree about Weber . Him retiring is good

biblihockey

Mar 15, 2022
Shawinigan
hockeyblog.me
What team do you cheer for? Panthers? You talking about none of your guys are offensive? I think Ekblad is doing fine if you are talking about the Panthers.

Compare your strategy to Tampa's D (which is the best in the NHL). You may think that Sergachev put up points but he really didn't in the playoffs. Ekblad is not Hedman but when he's on his game, he's effective at both ends. Panthers D might not be like Tampa but by adding Chiarot, it's competitive.

What do you want? Avs D style or Tampa's? :sarcasm:

lnUb1Nz.jpg
I am with the habs

Doubledose

Oct 14, 2021
Still glad dubas didn't give a first.

At the same time seems great deal for Florida and they got even more dangerous

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Well if the Panthers can get past the 1st Round it won’t look like too bad of a trade. But man the Habs got what they wanted, good on them, Zito usually does well on trades so maybe Chiarot will work well with the Panthers.
Losing in the 2nd round as opposed to the 1st round makes no difference in your draft position...

Doubledose

Oct 14, 2021
Great deal? I dunno….but they are firing all their bullets to make a run.
They got forwards. They got goalie. They have a great goalie prospect. Getting chariot half price not too bad.

As a leaf fan makes less sense with goalie questionable last couple seasons looking for an extra top 6 lw and needing a d.

So imo (just my opinion) good for Florida less so if us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad