Confirmed Trade: [FLA/MTL] Ben Chiarot (50%) for 2023 1st round pick, 2022 4th round pick, and Ty Smilanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I’ll eat crow in the fact that I said he wasn’t worth a first and wouldn’t get it.

But the rest of what you’re saying is garbage. Nobody is saying he doesn’t belong in the NHL and nobody is hating on him. Pretty near everyone I see (obviously a few outliers) is saying they don’t agree on the price and that it’s too much for a bottom pairing defensemen. If Florida wins, it’s because they have the talent to win, not because of Ben Chiarot on the third pairing. For me personally, I’d sooner trade a piece or 2 more for Chychrun someone, with term, who plays with the puck instead of chasing it, than spending 3 assets on Chiarot. There’s no need for you to be upset now brother, you got what you wanted in a really nice return.
Well you are about to be wrong again, he won't play bottom pair. Bottom pair defenders play 14-18 mins a night, top pair 22-26. He will play in the 22+ range.

You know how I know this? Because they wouldn't have given up this package for a guy that was slotted to play 16 mins a night.

This stuff is really simple and understanding what "bottom pair" actually means will help you understand the game better, and you won't have to eat so much crow.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton are doing some f***ing.

4 1st rounders over the next 2 years.

-Petry could bring another one, but honestly I doubt Habs receive a lot of call right now the way is involved on the play.
-Lehkonen maybe one too, but nore the hype is thta high
-Josh Anderson is definitly someone that the management shoudl kept but I cant believe that nobody isnt on him right. He would be clearly my main interest in Habs line-up right. I believe that he's the LW to target around this league and should easily return a 1st + quality prospect.
-Rem Pitlick is probably the 2nd best player of this team right now after Suzuki. I dont believe he's that good and maybe Montreal could bite at a realy good offer and sell realy big
-Ryan Poehling is a name with some value for somes. IF Habs receive an offer of a 1st for him, they should do it.
-Jonathan Drouin still a big name whatever. Could see many teams with a Malkinesque center having interest in him.
-Carey Price... I mean why not? Contract an issue right now but if you realy a top goalie, its a way better option than Varlamov.
-Christian Dvorak, an immediate change of scenary and bring back the value gave up. Not easy, not impossible.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Um... Last year? When they picked up Eric Staal, Erik Gustafson and Jon Merrill?
wasn't talking about Bargainbin shopping. my comment was about being true buyers I.e giving up prospects or early picks not shuffling the deck chairs as per last year

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I know I'm going to get criticized for flaming the Panthers again but....

Here's a team who:

- Hasn't won a playoff round in 25 years
- Has a lot of uncertainty in their goaltending position. Bob was horrible for 2 years, decent this year but we'll see come playoffs. Knight promising, but still not doing as great at NHL level
- Plays in the extremely competitive Atlantic division

I think there's a very good chance Florida has another very strong regular season again next year, but it's also quite possible they don't. Top regular season teams often come crashing down the following year.

Unprotected 1st round pick in 2023? As a Habs fan, I love it. It'll probably simply be a low first rounder, but not impossible it could be eligible for the draft lottery and be quite a bit higher.
Yeah, keep dreaming.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
wasn't talking about Bargainbin shopping. my comment was about being true buyers I.e giving up prospects or early picks not shuffling the deck chairs as per last year
Getting Petry for a 2nd must count, but that was in 2015 as I recall.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
-Petry could bring another one, but honestly I doubt Habs receive a lot of call right now the way is involved on the play.
-Josh Anderson is definitly someone that the management shoudl kept but I cant believe that nobody isnt on him right. He would be clearly my main interest in Habs line-up right. I believe that he's the LW to target around this league and should easily return a 1st + quality prospect.
-Rem Pitlick is probably the 2nd best player of this team right now after Suzuki. I dont believe he's that good and maybe Montreal could bite at a realy good offer and sell realy big
-Ryan Poehling is a name with some value for somes. IF Habs receive an offer of a 1st for him, they should do it.
-Jonathan Drouin still a big name whatever. Could see many teams with a Malkinesque center having interest in him.
-Carey Price... I mean why not? Contract an issue right now but if you realy a top goalie, its a way better option than Varlamov.
-Christian Dvorak, an immediate change of scenary and bring back the value gave up. Not easy, not impossible.

ok-okay.gif

Attachments

• 1647536113464.png
    1647536113464.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 3

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Agree on Anderson, Lek too (no sense to trade either without an overpay),

on the fence : Petry maybe this summer if he plays better the rest of the season. Price as an upgrade for a team? not so sure-that is basically "take your #1 in return, plus a piece or two for the difference in talent and for retaining" what #1 goalie has a value that is a first rounder away from Price's value?.

Disagree with Poehling, Drouin and Dvorak

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah, then good thing he was not traded to the Leafs.
Matthews should have lobbied Dubas to bring Chiarot to Toronto, didn't they learn anything about what it takes in the playoffs? Chiarot is the type of dirty physical sob that gets in opposing players heads in a 7 game series. There is more to playoff hockey than analytics, going to war with the opposing team in what could be a long series you need a mix of everything. Skill alone will not take you to the next level, there are so many games going on within the game that we don't know about as fans.

Reactions: JurequeparJuraj

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
But the rest of what you’re saying is garbage. Nobody is saying he doesn’t belong in the NHL and nobody is hating on him. Pretty near everyone I see (obviously a few outliers) is saying they don’t agree on the price and that it’s too much for a bottom pairing defensemen.

At what point are people going to stop blindly reciting the 2018 Winnipeg Jets "he's a bottom pairing guy" scouting report? It's not like Chiarot has recently surged. He's been a quality top 4 who can step up on a first pairing .And he's been pretty consistent doing it for three seasons, regardless of the circumstances.

Maybe it's not gonna work out in Florida, but they have acquired a great player and great guy too.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal

If we move Drouin we'd need to retain 50% to get something ok. Drouin at 2.75M$ with one more year could interest some teams I guess.

No way we ever get a 1st for Poehling imo.

Petry will be traded, probably around the draft.

Price isn't even tradable in hockey simulators.

Anderson is a keeper. At least for now.

No urge to trade Dvorak unless someone overpays, which would be suprising.

Keep Pitlick.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Chiarot is pretty much misdescribed, both as to where he should be in a lineup (he's a middle pairing guy) and as to how he plays. He's a pretty good skater for a guy his size and moves the puck better than he gets credited for, but is generally not good at defending the rush. He doesn't have great IQ and discipline issues (both things are obviously related), but uses his body really well and is generally totally willing to use it (except this year, for a bit, maybe because trade obviously incoming + needing to play more minutes?). And his stick, too, which makes him great along the boards. And he's also became something of a point shooter lately.

So... he'S not really a defensive D-Men nor totally an offensive D-Men. He's just a physical D-Men. Best deployed with a very good shutdown guy with many D-Zone starts, as this pretty much shields his main defensive weaknesses. Ideally stays between 18 and 22 minutes (AKA, middle pairing).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The90

Feb 27, 2017
At what point are people going to stop blindly reciting the 2018 Winnipeg Jets "he's a bottom pairing guy" scouting report? It's not like Chiarot has recently surged. He's been a quality top 4 who can step up on a first pairing .And he's been pretty consistent doing it for three seasons, regardless of the circumstances.

Maybe it's not gonna work out in Florida, but they have acquired a great player and great guy too.
I watched probably 20 games this and last year. How many games do I watch before my eyes don’t see him chasing the play all over the place like a physical bottom pairing defensemen? 25? 30?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Well you are about to be wrong again, he won't play bottom pair. Bottom pair defenders play 14-18 mins a night, top pair 22-26. He will play in the 22+ range.

You know how I know this? Because they wouldn't have given up this package for a guy that was slotted to play 16 mins a night.

This stuff is really simple and understanding what "bottom pair" actually means will help you understand the game better, and you won't have to eat so much crow.
I’m good. He chased the puck enough for me to make my own opinion of him. But he cross checks!!!! How many fans of other teams need to tell you they think it’s an overpay till you figure it out?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I see Florida is taking the "Columbus 2019" approach.

How often has a team gone "all in" and came close to winning the Cup when they've basically had zero recent playoff success?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I watched probably 20 games this and last year. How many games do I watch before my eyes don’t see him chasing the play all over the place like a physical bottom pairing defensemen? 25? 30?

...Judging by your posts on the topic, 1 or 2310841 wouldn't make any difference.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

The90

Feb 27, 2017
...Judging by your posts on the topic, 1 or 2310841 wouldn't make any difference.
Doubt it. It’s not a hockey knowledge issue either. I know what he brings I just don’t think he’s worth that return.

biblihockey

Mar 15, 2022
Shawinigan
hockeyblog.me
How has he been overplayed this year when it's basically the same ice time he has had for a few seasons now? Basically 23 min a game over the last few seasons.

Habs in a weak division? Who cares. Covid did helps us yes. But are you really going to undervalue playoffs series wins against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights? That's not some single game elimination tournament and it wasn't all Price. Chiarot was a huge factor of our top 4D and he was the mobile one on the pairing with Weber.

Just face it, you and many others didn't even watch him play. That's the reality and BS comments that has taken place over the last month. He's a good one and he's going to make things very difficult against the other teams forwards. His skating for a big man is overlooked by ignorant fans
Overplayed in the sens of i would like to see a better defenseman at 23 minutes. I looked at the games, I just desagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia