OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The franchise model has a different economic cycle then a typical restaurant. Most of the stand alone places like McDonald’s have a $1 million + cost + franchise fee and a lease that expires after 20 years. I suspect that for the mediocre locations as the leases expire they won’t be renewed, so you’ll see a slower attrition rate.

Also, chains like Red Lobster and Olive Garden have high fixed costs, so I expect a lot of pain in that part of the market. They may do okay but that might not be good enough to stay afloat.

If you look at an egregious example, the US airline industry of decades past, the worst run airlines would go through Chapter 11 first, clean up their balance sheets, get newer planes and plenty of working capital and then, with a competitive advantage put the other airlines into Chapter 11. This went on for decades. This will probably happen on a smaller scale in the restaurant industry.

I'm not so sure that's going to happen for restaurants. A lot of them are just small private businesses. They don't file for bankruptcy just to reorganize their debts and have another go at it. When they file for Chapter 11, they mostly permanently close.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not so sure that's going to happen for restaurants. A lot of them are just small private businesses. They don't file for bankruptcy just to reorganize their debts and have another go at it. When they file for Chapter 11, they mostly permanently close.
But, not all the restaurants are going to do what you suggest, just like all the airlines didn't go bankrupt all at once.

Say 20% of the restaurants shut down, the owners just walk away. Now you have vacant restaurants and debt consolidaters with a whole bunch of commercial cooking equipment that they are motivated to do something with. There isn't a reason to get into the restaurant industry unless the price is really right, which gives you an advantage over established businesses. Deflationary price wars aren't something people have seen in decades, they aren't ready for them. It will be different.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I got takeout the other day and the restaurant had a huge sign that said “ Cash Only, Everything 13% off.” Basically telling the government to go f*** themselves lol
I like it. I seen one quite a few years ago that said “free beer for every leafs playoff goal”, it was funny because they hadn’t made the playoffs for several years and that sign remained up.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But, not all the restaurants are going to do what you suggest, just like all the airlines didn't go bankrupt all at once.

Say 20% of the restaurants shut down, the owners just walk away. Now you have vacant restaurants and debt consolidaters with a whole bunch of commercial cooking equipment that they are motivated to do something with. There isn't a reason to get into the restaurant industry unless the price is really right, which gives you an advantage over established businesses. Deflationary price wars aren't something people have seen in decades, they aren't ready for them. It will be different.

You're comparing apples to oranges. A low six digit investment is what's needed to open your average restaurants and be fully operational.
Just one commercial airplane will cost you millions, so an airline that has a decent fleet.. It's not the same ball game, at all. It can make sense to file for bankruptcy to restructure debt, just like a lot of big retail companies are doing during COVID too. Your local mom and pop retail store though, they're better off cutting their losses short and close up shop.
It's the same for restaurants. If a big multimillion dollar chain is having issues, they file for bankruptcy, close some of their restaurants, restructure, and try to get back on top.
Your local restaurant though, a Moishes, Grunman78, Entrecote St-Jean, Blumenthal, etc...they're shutting down permanently. Not sure if they're filing for bankruptcy or closing preventively, but they ain't sticking around.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
You're comparing apples to oranges. A low six digit investment is what's needed to open your average restaurants and be fully operational.
Just one commercial airplane will cost you millions, so an airline that has a decent fleet.. It's not the same ball game, at all. It can make sense to file for bankruptcy to restructure debt, just like a lot of big retail companies are doing during COVID too. Your local mom and pop retail store though, they're better off cutting their losses short and close up shop.
It's the same for restaurants. If a big multimillion dollar chain is having issues, they file for bankruptcy, close some of their restaurants, restructure, and try to get back on top.
Your local restaurant though, a Moishes, Grunman78, Entrecote St-Jean, Blumenthal, etc...they're shutting down permanently. Not sure if they're filing for bankruptcy or closing preventively, but they ain't sticking around.
I wasn’t trying to confuse you by making a complicated argument. The effects of things in the time domain interest me, that’s all.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I’ve been thinking about getting the Onnit Hydrocore. It’s basically a type if Bulgarian Bag that you fill with water instead of sand or whatever people to chose to fill it with.

I ordered from a gym equipment store in town a Kettlebell- 20 lb version in June and I haven’t received a notice to pick it up yet. I’ve had enough of the delays and issues with almost everything I’ve ordered through the mail since the pandemic started it’s giving me pause. One day I’ll probably order it but we’ll see.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’ve been thinking about getting the Onnit Hydrocore. It’s basically a type if Bulgarian Bag that you fill with water instead of sand or whatever people to chose to fill it with.

I ordered from a gym equipment store in town a Kettlebell- 20 lb version in June and I haven’t received a notice to pick it up yet. I’ve had enough of the delays and issues with almost everything I’ve ordered through the mail since the pandemic started it’s giving me pause. One day I’ll probably order it but we’ll see.
Lmao the video of the dude doing the workout is the most Pejorative Slured shit Ive ever seen.

Let me swing this shit around a bit, oh let me shake it like a bag of popcorn, TWIRLD IT AROUND DANGEROUSLY

Reactions: overlords

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I really dislike that have these dumb marketing names, like ''hydrocore''...What does that even mean? It's so gimmicky.
Product itself doesn't seem bad, as you said, a bulgarian bag, I get filling it with water as it makes it easier to store/move, could easily pack to take with you when you travel, etc...But that doesn't give me much value in the current times.
You could just fill a small duffle bag or backpack with books and simply use that, worst case.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Lmao the video of the dude doing the workout is the most Pejorative Slured shit Ive ever seen.

Let me swing this shit around a bit, oh let me shake it like a bag of popcorn, TWIRLD IT AROUND DANGEROUSLY
I was thinking more of the Mark Wildman videos on YouTube. He uses it similarly to how you would use a mace or club for swinging exercises. If you buy a bunch of maces and clubs you are at $500. pretty quick.

I worked on railway gangs for 20 years, mostly as a labourer in my younger days. I love swinging things around like sledge hammers and spike mauls, I used to be able to do it for 10 to 12 hours a day. I think I can get a pretty good workout from it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm going to hate running outdoors in November. Yesterday was the toughest time I've had with the cold wind biting into my face, and it's only getting worse in the next month. Did 4 miles, but I'll probably make them shorter and quicker as the weather worsens. They'd better open the damn gyms soon...

LeGarsDuCable

Sep 17, 2020
Long live the bands!

Bands3.JPG

Bands.JPG
Bands2.JPG

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Better lighting and shedding some fat will do that, the guy was obviously in shape beforehand.

I’m not against resistance bands though, I tried doing some volume accessory workouts with it, mostly for shoulders, and it has its benefits I think. Nothing compares to lifting heavy, though.

I’ve mostly been completely off ever since gyms shut back down in september and I think it’s a blessing in disguise since I had a couple nagging injuries that just kept getting worse since I never let then time to properly heal. My wrists feel good now but I still have what I believe to be a tendonitis in one of my forearms. Hopefully I’m ready to go whenever things open back up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My f***ing squat keeps going down, I have moved towards a westside programming and while my gains on bench have been good and deadlift great, I feel like my squat has gone down since starting it. Sux, I struggle to lift 400 when I used to rep it with ease.

It sucks so hard to see one of your lift take a back seat to put another one forward.

I can confidently say that I can finally pull 600 though, on any day of the week, which is really nice as Ive been chasing this goal for 2 or 3 years now.

I want to say next up 700, but I feel like that my genetic potential is probably capped now, I dont know.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How likely is it that I could have Type 2 diabetes?

I pee every hour or so, and wake up two or three times a night to pee.
Im thirsty as f*** 24/7
My hands, legs and feet are often tingling or going numb.
My vision is blurry at times, but I think I can trace this back to getting up too fast or something.
Im tired, like ive never been before, but Im thinking this may be linked to peeing at night.

Note that I have at times overrate and I have a bad relationship with food, but like most of you know, Im still pretty strict with my diet, aside from cheating religiously every week or so, I eat 120% clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad