OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There is flexibility within the 5/3/1 program to add hypertrophy training to the assistance work. Perhaps this would be a good fit:

Boring But Big

Yes, I know, but I still dont think its good for someone that has never trained.

Theres more value in compound work done for higher reps with maximum ROM for that, basic bodybuilding training basically.

Think of how many strong ass bodybuilders youve seen go from thei BB splits straight into strength work and being absolute monsters, thats what you should strive to achieve.

What about a higher volume PPL split

Yeah, sure, that can work. Doesnt really matter to me how you split the week, its whats done in the week that matters. Dr. Israetel is a good source for what your training should look like IMO, as a beginner lifter, though his explanations require good knowledge of exercise science to start with, so its a bit counterintuitive for you to go watch his videos.

Edit: if you like videos though, Joey Szatmary (Szatstrentrh on YT I think) has a few videos on BB style training with Dr. Mike Israetel and others with John Meadows. You can watch those as they are a bit easier to understand than RPstrentgth videos.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Yes, I know, but I still dont think its good for someone that has never trained.

Theres more value in compound work done for higher reps with maximum ROM for that, basic bodybuilding training basically.

Think of how many strong ass bodybuilders youve seen go from thei BB splits straight into strength work and being absolute monsters, thats what you should strive to achieve.

Yeah, sure, that can work. Doesnt really matter to me how you split the week, its whats done in the week that matters. Dr. Israetel is a good source for what your training should look like IMO, as a beginner lifter, though his explanations require good knowledge of exercise science to start with, so its a bit counterintuitive for you to go watch his videos.

Edit: if you like videos though, Joey Szatmary (Szatstrentrh on YT I think) has a few videos on BB style training with Dr. Mike Israetel and others with John Meadows. You can watch those as they are a bit easier to understand than RPstrentgth videos.

Agreed, though I think you're getting plenty of that with Boring But Big, at least for a beginner. More volume that that for a complete beginner seems quite daunting. I agree with your approach for more advanced strength athletes, but seems like a recipe for burnout for a beginner. Just IMO of course.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I recently had a nearly water-only fast where I averaged ~300 calories/day over 14 days. I waited a week to weigh myself, and I've lost ~11 lbs. That means that I was averaging a burn of ~3050 calories/day, just based off of base metabolic rate and activity levels. About what I expected actually. If you say that I lost 1 lbs of lean mass, then the number drops to 2850 calories/day.

Pitbull puppies take a lot of energy :)

A lot if the weight lost is in the stomach area, so thankfully my clothes fit better. I'm also sleeping better.

I might do a short fast in November, and then another long one in December.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I recently had a nearly water-only fast where I averaged ~300 calories/day over 14 days. I waited a week to weigh myself, and I've lost ~11 lbs. That means that I was averaging a burn of ~3050 calories/day, just based off of base metabolic rate and activity levels. About what I expected actually. If you say that I lost 1 lbs of lean mass, then the number drops to 2850 calories/day.

Pitbull puppies take a lot of energy :)

A lot if the weight lost is in the stomach area, so thankfully my clothes fit better. I'm also sleeping better.

I might do a short fast in November, and then another long one in December.
I’m 69 hours into a 72 hour water and black coffee fast and I’m considering extending to 96. I’ve got to work tonight at 7pm ADT, and at 8pm will be 72 hours. I’m torn between breaking now or waiting until I am home at 1030pm or even carrying into tomorrow. I’ve been without calories since Monday at 8pm ADT. I’ve got reserves for 3 hours tonight. I’m not sure what to do. I’m approaching the longest I’ve ever done, but if I don’t eat tonight my window for my intermittent fasting is usually after 5pm, so if I skip tonight that basically puts me all in tomorrow too.

I’m quite certain I can do it. I just know if I should. I don’t feel weak or anything, maybe a bit, but the mental clarity is unreal. I feel so good I don’t understand it. Almost making we wish I never had to eat again. I am down quite a few lbs for sure.

I went to bed last night at 10pm which is odd for me, I felt so rested I was awake and ready to go at 5am. Might be the best sleep I’ve had in years.

Now I’m taking an hour nap before I go to my 2nd job.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I’m 69 hours into a 72 hour water and black coffee fast and I’m considering extending to 96. I’ve got to work tonight at 7pm ADT, and at 8pm will be 72 hours. I’m torn between breaking now or waiting until I am home at 1030pm or even carrying into tomorrow. I’ve been without calories since Monday at 8pm ADT. I’ve got reserves for 3 hours tonight. I’m not sure what to do. I’m approaching the longest I’ve ever done, but if I don’t eat tonight my window for my intermittent fasting is usually after 5pm, so if I skip tonight that basically puts me all in tomorrow too.

I’m quite certain I can do it. I just know if I should. I don’t feel weak or anything, maybe a bit, but the mental clarity is unreal. I feel so good I don’t understand it. Almost making we wish I never had to eat again. I am down quite a few lbs for sure.

I went to bed last night at 10pm which is odd for me, I felt so rested I was awake and ready to go at 5am. Might be the best sleep I’ve had in years.

Now I’m taking an hour nap before I go to my 2nd job.

Is it a physically demanding job?

Might as well go to the morning and see what happens. You can break the fast with some light food tomorrow morning or at lunch.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Is it a physically demanding job?

Might as well go to the morning and see what happens. You can break the fast with some light food tomorrow morning or at lunch.
That’s where I’m leaning. No it’s not physically demanding, it’s a desk job. I just didn’t want to break in the morning because it sort of interferes with my daily IF. We will see, I feel great.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Interested to know how much do you guys stretch, it at all. And if you, whats you're routine.

as I get older, I find I really need to stretch - especially shoulders - before working out.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Interested to know how much do you guys stretch, it at all. And if you, whats you're routine.

as I get older, I find I really need to stretch - especially shoulders - before working out.
You should do dynamic stretches before, keep the static ones post workout.
I don't have a particular routine, just alternate through a bunch.

Reactions: Shabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I do activations before working out

McGill big three + deep squat sits (a few minutes in the hole) + bend over squats to open the hips

For upper body I don't, aside from throwing in some face pulls and pumping the muscles with light low weight high reps exercise (Pushdowns, curls, etc.) before going into heavy work.

I do supplemental yoga during the week, thats where mobility comes from.

I wouldn't stretch before strength training, it serves little purpose.

Reactions: Shabs

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I just ordered a 7 feet Olympic bar. I rent one for the current shut-down but the gym I rent it from is in another region and might re-open and ask its material back before the gyms re-open in Quebec City. And there might be other waves.

So f*** it. I just bought a 7 feet Olympic bar and plan to progressively acquire more or less 300 pounds in olympic weight plates before the new year.

Ils m'auront pas criss.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just ordered a 7 feet Olympic bar. I rent one for the current shut-down but the gym I rent it from is in another region and might re-open and ask its material back before the gyms re-open in Quebec City. And there might be other waves.

So f*** it. I just bought a 7 feet Olympic bar and plan to progressively acquire more or less 300 pounds in olympic weight plates before the new year.

Ils m'auront pas criss.

Im up to 600 pounds of steel now... Hopefully gyms don't re-open anytime soon :laugh:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Im up to 600 pounds of steel now... Hopefully gyms don't re-open anytime soon :laugh:

I wouldn't worry about it. If it reopens it will shut back down all over again. At least for the whole winter and a good portion of the spring. Unless the government drastically changes the way it operates, that's what will happen. And I'm definitely not going to wait for the 3rd wave to figure out what to do.

Plus whenever I have a baby in the next few years I want to be able to workout at home. So there's that. It's not a waste anyway. I strongly advised my friend to do the same. Now he's starting to shop for stuff but it's hard to come by on short notice at this point.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wouldn't worry about it. If it reopens it will shut back down all over again. At least for the whole winter and a good portion of the spring. Unless the government drastically changes the way it operates, that's what will happen. And I'm definitely not going to wait for the 3rd wave to figure out what to do.

Plus whenever I have a baby in the next few years I want to be able to workout at home. So there's that. It's not a waste anyway. I strongly advised my friend to do the same. Now he's starting to shop for stuff but it's hard to come by on short notice at this point.
Just wish I had space in my appartment to put everything, instead of going to my parents 4 times a week. Having a garage is now a dream of mine :laugh:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
On carbohydrates.

Screenshot_20201027-074938.png

Reactions: Eegs

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Just wish I had space in my appartment to put everything, instead of going to my parents 4 times a week. Having a garage is now a dream of mine :laugh:

I actually jokingly told my girlfriend that I was going to build a gym in the "workshop" part of the basement when we bought the house. Never thought it would come so soon though. Oh well...

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I bought 185 pounds of Olympic plates today. If I count the 245 pounds I rent originally, and the 260 pounds of 1 inch plates I got earlier and that I partially use for my adjustable dbs, that's like 590 pounds of steel I have in my basement :laugh:.

I think I'm done for the time being. I'm just happy I won't get caught with my pants down the next time it shuts down or if my friend reopens his gym and needs his stuff back.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

There's no way they will keep the gyms closed all this time. They're going to reopen soon, either in 2 weeks or 4.
They were obviously not going to buckle under the threat of the 200 gym coalition as that would make them look like pushovers and set a terrible precedent. The coalition going public was really stupid, not sure if they had private exchanges with the government but I don't think they handled things smartly.
We will have to see what comes of this now, hopefully in 2 weeks the government can observe lesser cases and permit gyms to reopen.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah, like myself ? Lmao, relax Kriss.
Pretty sure it ticks you off when you hear other people wish restaurants close down.
Even then, restaurants are open, you can still find work as a chef. Not the same really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad