OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Any recommendation re. Best press and what degree of incline ? What I've been doing for the past 6 month seems to be going slow

Progress IS slow if bodybuilding is your goal.
As for the inclination, it highly depends of your morphology. People who are build with a flat sternum (like me) benefit more from lighter inclinations, and those who have their sternum caving out can go to steeper inclinations.

As for the exercise, it's highly dependent, again, on which one you feel best. Generally speaking, for most of the training population, just overloading on the barbell press is a good start. On accessories you can focus more of feeling the muscle and going for the burn.

My main takeaway this year is that quality of reps > quantity of reps. Going with a good tempo, with proper form will exhaust you that much more, and you're going to end up doing less sets. But in the end, you'll benefit much more from your workouts.

There's no way I could do 20-24 sets per body part per workout like I did before now that I'm being careful about tempo and form. Never compromise those. Be patient. Eat well. These are the keys IMHO.

Reactions: Shabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anybody here wants custom orders? My brother is starting his workshop. Any wooden or metal fitness equipment, he might be able to produce.
He's looking at selling directly to companies like Fitness Depot to supply whatever's back ordered that he can, but he possibly could take on private orders too.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Any recommendation re. Best press and what degree of incline ? What I've been doing for the past 6 month seems to be going slow
What exactly have you been doing?
Doesn't matter what exercise you do if you're not eating enough to make your body grow.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
What exactly have you been doing?
Doesn't matter what exercise you do if you're not eating enough to make your body grow.
I try to hit chest twice a week. I do push-ups and pull-ups everyday (until pull-ups started bugging my shoulders) I have DBs at home 30s-50s. Basic routine looks something like this 5x10

DB bench press
One arm rows
DB chest flys
Incline DB bench press
One arm DB hang snatch
One arm offset DB bench press
Bridge floor press

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I try to hit chest twice a week. I do push-ups and pull-ups everyday (until pull-ups started bugging my shoulders) I have DBs at home 30s-50s. Basic routine looks something like this 5x10

DB bench press
One arm rows
DB chest flys
Incline DB bench press
One arm DB hang snatch
One arm offset DB bench press
Bridge floor press

Reps/sets/rest?
That doesn't like a necessarily bad one although there's a lack of balance.
But if you want growth, you need to talk nutrition.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Reps/sets/rest?
That doesn't like a necessarily bad one although there's a lack of balance.
But if you want growth, you need to talk nutrition.
5 sets x 10 reps
Nutrition-wise Im ok just can't seem to get enough protein in a day
thanks

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
5 sets x 10 reps
thanks
You're not okay if gains have stalled and can't seem to get enough protein in a day mate.
There is no magic program that will give you that extra hump. You can switch around sets and reps but at the end of the day, if you don't eat enough, you won't grow. Simple as that.
Make an effort, eat more.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
5 sets x 10 reps
thanks

I assume that you're infering that the heaviest DBs that you have in your hands are 50's? If so, it's going to be very hard seeing very noticable improvements to your chest doing straight sets of 10 at 50 pounds. Doing the same thing over and over again is not going to force your body to adapt and grow.

If you're limited in terms of weight, you have to progress on another variable. Either add reps, decrease rest time, slow the tempo down, or do isometric pauses at the bottom of your movement. Do supersets with a bodyweight movement, a mono-articular movement or with bands (doing flies).

After gradually progressing on those variables, either hope the gyms reopen soon, or buy heavier DBs, rince, and repeat.

All bodyparts answer to being put under increasing tension. Your muscles don't know what DBs you have in your hand. They answer to tension. It's a long process. And also remember just annihilating a bodypart is not always the way to make it grow quicker. Doing 5 sets of 10 on 5 separate exercises for a single bodypart in a single workout (if I understood your regimen correctly) either means:
A) The tension put on your muscles in a single set is insufficient
B) You're taking too much rest
C) You're not using proper form/feeling the muscles enough
D) You have some pretty awesome recovery abilities and workload endurance

Try to see which one it is and adapt appropriately.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It sucks cause my strength is going down now... but Im single so I don't want to bulk.
Haven't squatted a barbell in over 2 months...
I'm still curling 50s for 20 reps though, so there's that...but shit is way too light for my rows and floor pressing. My gas tank empties out before my muscles.
Doing freaking jumping jacks and push ups....it's so freaking boring. If we aren't going into lockdown, they better open in January, this is ridiculous.
Everyone I know has put on weight. Pretty horrible job from our leaders to provide adequate training alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad