OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Escaping from back mount is how I popped my rib. I need to work on back escapes, clearly.

It's suitably called the dummy sweep. It is really effective, once you have both their ankles their ability to balance is shot. Typically, they won't just let you get both ankles though, so you have to threaten something else to get them to do that. When I usually get it, it's because I'm trying to create an angle on my partner, to try and work to the back. They don't want me to do that so they square up, and in so doing bring their ankles close to me.

You can also get it if you only have one ankle, and hooking the other leg with your foot. It's called a tripod sweep then. That's actually really high percentage.

Yeah that's the game. Typically what I find youtube useful is finding a potential solution to a problem that I experienced while rolling. That's the point of rolling, actually. You get live feedback on your ideas, and that feedback tells you if you're full of shit, or if you might be on to something. For example, I love the armbar from guard. One of the responses to the armbar from guard is to stack. I don't mind it so much, because I know the counter to that. But then, recently, someone had a counter to my counter. And youtube didn't have an answer for me. So I went to one of the black belts, and now I have a counter to someone's counter to my counter of their counter of my armbar from guard. I expect this process to keep happening so long as I keep trying to armbar people from the guard.

Can't speak much on the topic of mud wrestling but I can feel your pain of the popped rib.

I have seperate a rib before (believe the doctor said something to the effect of the meat and sinew between the ribs has torn, think of pork side ribs for a visual ) for me it one of the more painful injuries, if not most annoying as breathing hurts, God forbid you have to sneeze of cough.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Can't speak much on the topic of mud wrestling but I can feel your pain of the popped rib.

I have seperate a rib before (believe the doctor said something to the effect of the meat and sinew between the ribs has torn, think of pork side ribs for a visual ) for me it one of the more painful injuries, if not most annoying as breathing hurts, God forbid you have to sneeze of cough.

And they can't do anything for you. No matter what you do to your ribs, the treatment is always the same. They're primarily concerned with lung infections, which...fair enough. But this is 2020 where the f*** is my tricorder?

Reactions: HBDay and Lshap

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I rolled with 3 white belts today, I love how they all compliment my strength :)

Cross choked one guy, got tapped two times by another and went 0-0 with another.

Im starting to master some sweeps, mainly from mount, side control and also guard. Wouldnt know the names tho :laugh:

Ive taken the back of the three of them but I cant for the life of me get the rear naked choke going ???

Reactions: overlords

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Two things have been happening to me recently. One I've plateaued on all of my pull-up bar work outs. Since adding twenty pounds to my waist I've had the same reps and sets for atleast three rounds on all of them (hammer pull ups, pull ups, chin-ups)

Two I've noticed maybe some wear on my shoulder joints. Wondering if my pull up bar workouts are the catalyst behind that. bench press is feeling more uncomfortable due to it.

Maybe just tune my form not sure. Anyone else experienced shoulder wear?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Two things have been happening to me recently. One I've plateaued on all of my pull-up bar work outs. Since adding twenty pounds to my waist I've had the same reps and sets for atleast three rounds on all of them (hammer pull ups, pull ups, chin-ups)

Two I've noticed maybe some wear on my shoulder joints. Wondering if my pull up bar workouts are the catalyst behind that. bench press is feeling more uncomfortable due to it.

If you feel it in your shoulder during Bench Press then your elbow is not in a good position, and you're not retracting the shoulders. If you keep the elbow up to where your humerus is around 9o degrees of abduction, meaning it's essentially raised as high as your shoulder, then your rotator cuff tendon risks getting impinged between the head of humerus and AC joint.

In a nutshell, your positioning is off causing a tendon to be stuck between bone and joint that are part of your shoulder.

I broke my collarbone in a car crash a while back and the doctors I saw were terrible so they never corrected me and it lead to chronic tendinitis in my left shoulder. I couldn't do a push up with feeling pain. My ego being what it is I'd push through it until it would become unbearable but then I'd have to take a week off every time. Got fed up, started researching and experimenting with a heavy focus on technique. It was overnight success. As soon as I finally understood proper positioning, pain was barely noticeable if even at all.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Took a week off from lifting and came back much better.

Deadlifted 305 no problem. Only did one set and then dropped down to 275 for the other two. 170 on the bench and dropped after that. Works well and that's what I'll do going forward. Just too crazy lifting it the other way.

Someday I'll be able to bench 200. :laugh: My goal will be to eventually hit two plates. That will be after all the cutting is done of course.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
If you feel it in your shoulder during Bench Press then your elbow is not in a good position, and you're not retracting the shoulders. If you keep the elbow up to where your humerus is around 9o degrees of abduction, meaning it's essentially raised as high as your shoulder, then your rotator cuff tendon risks getting impinged between the head of humerus and AC joint.

In a nutshell, your positioning is off causing a tendon to be stuck between bone and joint that are part of your shoulder.

I broke my collarbone in a car crash a while back and the doctors I saw were terrible so they never corrected me and it lead to chronic tendinitis in my left shoulder. I couldn't do a push up with feeling pain. My ego being what it is I'd push through it until it would become unbearable but then I'd have to take a week off every time. Got fed up, started researching and experimenting with a heavy focus on technique. It was overnight success. As soon as I finally understood proper positioning, pain was barely noticeable if even at all.

Thanks, that what I was thinking, drop my elbows a bit towards my hips.

Collar bone is one I haven't had the mispleasure of breaking but I have heard it is very very painful.

BTW the GVT was a no currently for me. It was too much, as in time consuming, also grueling and I didn't have enough time/energy. Also didn't feel good to neglect my other accessory lifts. But I will draw up a new fitness plan soon, as I think my body has accepted my current one as the new normal, despite still going up in weights in some lifts. The gains are too slow. GVT just wasn't it I don't think.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thanks, that what I was thinking, drop my elbows a bit towards my hips.

Collar bone is one I haven't had the mispleasure of breaking but I have heard it is very very painful.

BTW the GVT was a no currently for me. It was too much, as in time consuming, also grueling and I didn't have enough time/energy. Also didn't feel good to neglect my other accessory lifts. But I will draw up a new fitness plan soon, as I think my body has accepted my current one as the new normal, despite still going up in weights in some lifts. The gains are too slow. GVT just wasn't it I don't think.

Ya as I previously mentioned, I'm not the biggest fan of GVT.
I actually love volume, I do a whole lot of reps in my programs but I just can't just 10x10. I might throw it in once in a blue moon for shits and giggles, it so damn boring.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Do you squat 10x10 with a straight bar and do you have incomfort during/after squats ?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Reactions: DAChampion

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
isnt that dangerous? I struggle to not consume calories and walk more then 2- 3hours only body starts to wear down such as my lower back

Reactions: HBDay

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into ultramarathoning. Like, you know once every 4 years everyone becomes an armchair expert in gymnastics or figure skating because of the olympics, before returning to not caring about those sports for another 4 years? I can't get into ultramarathoning at that level.
That's probably due to your circle. When I moved to Hong Kong I would put the hockey games on the TV at work, the rugby players would make fun of me for it, kept saying it's figure skating.
My friend is a gymnastic coach and runs the kids programs. She doesn't get a kick out of it every 4 years.
A lot of the sports at the Olympics aren't mainstream, that's the only reason why you don't know much about them. You also just gravitate towards what you like. Pretty sure you'd watch BJJ live on TV if it were more mainstream, just like the UFC grew so much as soon as more of it became more accessible.
I love Oly lifting, if there was a league with weekly TV programming, I'd watch it.
The Olympics are different though, so many countries participating in this ''amicable'' competition over two weeks or so with over 300 events...Quite special.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why do some want to deadlift over 1000 lbs...It's not different really, just depends what you're into.

I don't care about those long ass marathons. They're obviously very difficult challenges, like the Tour de France is known as the worst competition in the world. It's so grueling that apparently it's healthier to do it while on PEDs. Just like ain't nobody deadlifting 1000lbs without using roids.
Or why does David Blaine decide to lock himself up in a box without food for 44 days??
I think it's stupid as hell and unimpressive. I would never be able to do it nor would I even want to, but in the end it's just people pushing their limits in whatever way they want.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Why do some want to deadlift over 1000 lbs...It's not different really, just depends what you're into.

I don't care about those long ass marathons. They're obviously very difficult challenges, like the Tour de France is known as the worst competition in the world. It's so grueling that apparently it's healthier to do it while on PEDs. Just like ain't nobody deadlifting 1000lbs without using roids.
Or why does David Blaine decide to lock himself up in a box without food for 44 days??
I think it's stupid as hell and unimpressive. I would never be able to do it nor would I even want to, but in the end it's just people pushing their limits in whatever way they want.

Well for sure I get it. But I mean forget the running part if I told someone I was planning on not eating for five days they'd think I need help.

Funny you mention David Blaine because to me this is more of a stunt then an athletic accomplishment.

But I guess good for him? He can say that story at parties for the rest of his life?

I'm going to do a six week weight training program and consume no protein. Love me world.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Well for sure I get it. But I mean forget the running part if I told someone I was planning on not eating for five days they'd think I need help.

That's a social convention. It would very likely actually be good for you.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
That's a second coal convention. It would very likely actually be good for you.

I really doubt it. My body would likely expedite the process of catabolizing my muscle for energy.

How ever I haven't read much about fasting. I just know the human body is evolved to withstand famine which is why we store fat, because it's easy. It's also why we lose our muscle when we stop working out because your body will always look to stabilize itself and muscles are not cheap and easy like fat is.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I really doubt it. My body would likely expedite the process of catabolizing my muscle for energy.

That's not expected from introductory physiology and has been demonstrated to not be true. In the fasted state people converge to burning 15 grams of protein s day, which can be directly measured from uric acid in urine. That's consistent with nearly no muscle loss.

Your body actually preferentially catabolizes visceral/abdominal fat.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
That's not expected from introductory physiology and has been demonstrated to not be true. In the fasted state people converge to burning 15 grams of protein s day, which can be directly measured from uric acid in urine. That's consistent with nearly no muscle loss.

Your body actually preferentially catabolizes visceral/abdominal fat.

There is alot of room for me to learn on this topic, not that I ever plan on doing it. I personally just can't grip the fact that going from eating a balanced diet and excersizing to eating nothing and excersizing coukd be beneficial. But I'm all for learning and I'll spend some time reading. Not so I can come back and say I told you so, just because it's so interesting.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There is alot of room for me to learn on this topic, not that I ever plan on doing it. I personally just can't grip the fact that going from eating a balanced diet and excersizing to eating nothing and excersizing coukd be beneficial. But I'm all for learning and I'll spend some time reading. Not so I can come back and say I told you so, just because it's so interesting.

Sure, I'll post a couple references tomorrow.

But I think that the best thing you can do is try a single 36-hour fast (skip breakfast lunch and dinner) and marvel at how fabulous you feel the day after.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Sure, I'll post a couple references tomorrow.

But I think that the best thing you can do is try a single 36-hour fast (skip breakfast lunch and dinner) and marvel at how fabulous you feel the day after.

I don't know, I feel really good after two eggs a piece of toast cottage cheese and nectarines with sunflower seeds an apple and then a banana on the way to work then a second breakfast at work that's what makes me feel good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad