OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have 2 gi's, both Manto. They're solid, but I'm probably going to switch to Tatami for my next purchase. Not sure what price you can get a Tatami gi for in Canada, but you can get them for under 100 euros here and the build quality on them is just great. Super soft.

I hear Fuji recommended by people in North America a lot. Super cheap, but good quality.
Ive been looking at Tatamis and Fujis yeah ! Around 100-150$ for them.

Ill probably pull the trigger on a tatami, I like the look with the shoulder logo.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ive been looking at Tatamis and Fujis yeah ! Around 100-150$ for them.

Ill probably pull the trigger on a tatami, I like the look with the shoulder logo.

Yeah they look really good, and the price-quality is also top notch. It's a european brand, so check the shipping times if that would bug you.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Almost went with the green one as I vibe hard with this color but Ill let a few months pass before I come up with all that swagger :laugh:

Haha, that's not so bad. I see some pretty wild gi's at my gym. People walking in to class looking like Eddy Murphy in Delirious. Saw a solid purple one not too long ago. After the dude chokes you out he asks if you want some pancakes.

Reactions: Mrb1p

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Couselors, therapist, psychologist and stagiaire or wtv you call them in english are all available without a note. Unsure about psychiatrists, but for the right price they probably are too.

Im seeing one at the moment and honestly, its the best decision Ive ever taken. Call Psymontreal and theyll set you up. Its 120$ a session and they do it through zoom right now. If you have insurance theyll likely cover 60% ish.

Otherwise, I find venting here helps me too.

Terrible plan not to plan. If youre going for GVT stick with it for longer, the first few weeks are going to suck.

Id also encourage you to build up your work capacity before jumping in GVT. Do something like 6x6s or 10x5 or 5x10 for a week or two.

Why would you want to do pull ups on top of rows ?

Read this if youre serious about it, otherwise, just dont do it.

Advanced German Volume Training | T Nation

Thanks for the advice. I already do 12X5 on my main compound lifts. So I the jump shouldn't be that abrupt.

Ah what I meant was I'd rather do pull-ups than the rows, not both lol I'd die.

I am serious about it, and I've been serious about my lifting routine. I've been very strict with it. But it's come the time when I need to switch it up to chase bigger gains, I've been following my current routine which is a five day routine consisting of three upper body days and two lower body days and two rest days for nearly six months now. Before that I had followed a routine for a number of months as well, and when I changed routines I saw gains and a newly lit fire for it. I'm hoping for the same this time.

I just don't want to mentally commit to something that isn't going to work for me. Id like to do it for 4 weeks as it's not a training regiment for long term. But I can't set myself up for failure, for various reasons I might not like it, it might be too time consuming (full time job, family on the way) or I might not be pleased with the amount of accessory lifts I can do as well. Or my body may just not respond well to it, doing two hundred lifts that involve my shoulders could be tough on my joints etc.

I just want to get my feet wet and see what it's about!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Haha, that's not so bad. I see some pretty wild gi's at my gym. People walking in to class looking like Eddy Murphy in Delirious. Saw a solid purple one not too long ago. After the dude chokes you out he asks if you want some pancakes.
There was like 8 white gis, very few blues, a few blacks and one grey, so I didnt want to go too out for lunch especially as a newbie who doesnt even understand how to do the most basic moves.

Excited to try it out for the first time, hopefully its here in 10 days like the estimation says.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I've been on multiple forums for over 20 years now and yet I can't figure out the f***ing multi-quote system here. wtf ...

anyways I mean to reply to you guys individually but whatever.

You guys confirmed what I thought about psychologist/doctor's note/insurance and whatnot.

As for the power to get better being inside me, that's how I feel about it as well. I've done basically everything by myself, ever. I'm self taught at basically everything I do and I hate asking for help so I'd rather improvise and figure it out myself. This is a tough problem to solve however and I've been at it for way too long i think.

anyways I'm feeling better today than I did when I first posted two days ago. It's really up and down. I've got next week off work so I'll try to build a bit of momentum and get my place cleaned up, cook a bit of real food and wash my car (believe it or not this is tough when you're morbidly obese). I got great news yesterday which has the potential to change my life dramatically (no more debts and maybe even buying a house). 2020 has sucked so far but I'll try to end the year on a high note

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've been on multiple forums for over 20 years now and yet I can't figure out the f***ing multi-quote system here. wtf ...

You guys confirmed what I thought about psychologist/doctor's note/insurance and whatnot.

As for the power to get better being inside me, that's how I feel about it as well. I've done basically everything by myself, ever. I'm self taught at basically everything I do and I hate asking for help so I'd rather improvise and figure it out myself. This is a tough problem to solve however and I've been at it for way too long i think.

anyways I'm feeling better today than I did when I first posted two days ago. It's really up and down. I've got next week off work so I'll try to build a bit of momentum and get my place cleaned up, cook a bit of real food and wash my car (believe it or not this is tough when you're morbidly obese). I got great news yesterday which has the potential to change my life dramatically (no more debts and maybe even buying a house). 2020 has sucked so far but I'll try to end the year on a high note

Just press multi quote, then in the box there will be add quote next to post a reply (red) then press X to post them all and they will appear in the box below.

Or just use @ + the name of the poster and that will give them a notification.

Seriously, see someone, its the best thing one could do.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Most people have gone through some nasty stuff during 2020. There are two things that make me feel better, getting wasted on the weekend with some friends, and spending two hours at the gym on a daily.
Pretty ironic those two things are polar opposite but it is what it is. See someone if you have to but get moving too, mate, I'm telling you, there's no better natural cure than exercising.
I'm not going to sell you on how it's fun and you'll see results quickly. It can be a major drag and pain in the ass, tangible results will come in time, it requires hard work and patience, but it's 100000% worth it in the end. Just have to stick to it, which will do wonders for you not just physically, but also mentally.

Reactions: knuck and Mrb1p

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I have no doubt it works. Last week end I fixed a few things on my car that were annoying, including an exhaust valve that was broken and required me to lift the car and crawl under it for an hour trying to figure out how to align a stupid spring. After I was done I washed the car thoroughly and it looked amazing. The real reward however was the satisfaction I felt once I was done. I was sore as shit but I felt good. I've never felt that kind of satisfaction at the gym. Pushing weights around is just annoying to me and I don't think I would ever like it. There is one "wildcard" that could change everything however. I've never managed to stick to it long enough to physically see results (and not just feel it). I can't imagine what it must be like to appreciate your own body. This is unknown to me. I'm sure if I stuck with it long enough to see changes I'd get hooked like basically everyone else in this thread :)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
yeah guys I know I have to change basically everything. It's not the first time I've talked about this here but I've been struggling mentally for about a decade now. This may be a stupid question but do I need a doctor's not or something to see a psychologist?

You don't because psychologists aren't doctors. Research who's in your area and get one that you think might help you. They tend to specialize.

Psychiatrists require a referral as they are doctors.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think I've made up for the 3 months worth of workouts I lost during Covid as my numbers are starting to beat my previous PRs all around.

Officially on the road to a 3 plates bench press now, maybe within a year. Hopefully that will be enough to qualify me as a T H I C C boy.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think I've made up for the 3 months worth of workouts I lost during Covid as my numbers are starting to beat my previous PRs all around.

Officially on the road to a 3 plates bench press now, maybe within a year. Hopefully that will be enough to qualify me as a T H I C C boy.

Cannot wait to welcome you in the T H I C C B O I club. Its lonely here.

Reactions: Lebowski

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Cannot wait to welcome you in the T H I C C B O I club. Its lonely here.

The issue I have now is that while my bench was probably my weaker of the big three lifts in the past, it's now my squat that's trailing behind even though it used to be my better lift of the three.

I really struggle when I get to 3 plates and over. I think part of the issue is that I'm very, very quad dominant in the movement, and it's becoming a bit of a limiting factor in the amount of weight I can move. Probably a technique issue. And I should probably find a way to fit 2 squats session in a week, but my legs are typically dead weight for at least 4-5 days after leg day and I can't squat for a few days after doing deadlifts either.

I'm thinking of upping frequency and reducing volume. I play around with reps and sets a lot, but there's no way I can do a 5x5 on squats twice a week as it stands.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The issue I have now is that while my bench was probably my weaker of the big three lifts in the past, it's now my squat that's trailing behind even though it used to be my better lift of the three.

I really struggle when I get to 3 plates and over. I think part of the issue is that I'm very, very quad dominant in the movement, and it's becoming a bit of a limiting factor in the amount of weight I can move. Probably a technique issue. And I should probably find a way to fit 2 squats session in a week, but my legs are typically dead weight for at least 4-5 days after leg day and I can't squat for a few days after doing deadlifts either.

I'm thinking of upping frequency and reducing volume. I play around with reps and sets a lot, but there's no way I can do a 5x5 on squats twice a week as it stands.
You squat high bar ? I always squat after deadlifts and I dont have an issue with it, if its the other way around though its terrible.

Obviously, its near impossible to focus on the 3 lifts all at once. I find that Id rather squat twice a week since its a good strength builder for squats, obviously, but also for deadlift.

Right now, Im running

Day 1
Deads 4x8 (First set is an amrap)
Day 2
OHP 5x8 (same)
Day 3
Jiu jitsu (Ayyy)
Day 4
Squats 5x8 (same)
Day 5
Bench
5x8 (same)
Trying to build that muscle size to get some strength gains later.

I already feel my legs are starting to lag behind though, in strength that is, as they seem to grow just by looking at them.

Just focus on the PRs youre making on bench and go from there IMO.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You squat high bar ? I always squat after deadlifts and I dont have an issue with it, if its the other way around though its terrible.

Obviously, its near impossible to focus on the 3 lifts all at once. I find that Id rather squat twice a week since its a good strength builder for squats, obviously, but also for deadlift.

Right now, Im running

Day 1
Deads 4x8 (First set is an amrap)
Day 2
OHP 5x8 (same)
Day 3
Jiu jitsu (Ayyy)
Day 4
Squats 5x8 (same)
Day 5
Bench
5x8 (same)
Trying to build that muscle size to get some strength gains later.

I already feel my legs are starting to lag behind though, in strength that is, as they seem to grow just by looking at them.

Just focus on the PRs youre making on bench and go from there IMO.

High-bar, yes. But to be honest, I've never really paid attention to high/low bar, I just learned the movement on my own, did what felt right, and gradually adapted my technique based on cues I heard here and there. For the most part, I think my form stays pretty damn good and until I get into the 3RM range. At that point knees start caving in, back leaning forward, etc. My numbers are still slowly going up on squat, but I'm doing more volume work lately.

Do you do any accessory work beyond the main lifts? And yeah I plan to keep working on the bench since it's going well. I don't think there's any mystery in why it's going well though, I just started doing bench twice a week, once more as a warmup and focused on volume or paused press, and the other focusing on strength on chest day. For some reason I can recover fast enough to train chest more often, but it's just not an option on bigger muscle groups.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know Im dumb but this week I tested my 1rm on my lifts (Close grip, OHP strict, High bar squat and 2' defcit deadlift) and I "totaled 1310 without counting the OHP. (1545 with.)

Thats actually a few pounds short of my previous testing of 1rms, while using comp lifts.

Its looking good, good good. Lets say Im 5% stronger on every lift (Being really conservative, lol.) Ill be at 1400 total ? Not bad, assuming the strength phase gives me another 5% increase ? Ill be at what 1450 ? That should be good enough for nationals.

LETS HOPE

Inb4 i injure myself and I lose all my gains.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
High-bar, yes. But to be honest, I've never really paid attention to high/low bar, I just learned the movement on my own, did what felt right, and gradually adapted my technique based on cues I heard here and there. For the most part, I think my form stays pretty damn good and until I get into the 3RM range. At that point knees start caving in, back leaning forward, etc. My numbers are still slowly going up on squat, but I'm doing more volume work lately.

Do you do any accessory work beyond the main lifts? And yeah I plan to keep working on the bench since it's going well. I don't think there's any mystery in why it's going well though, I just started doing bench twice a week, once more as a warmup and focused on volume or paused press, and the other focusing on strength on chest day. For some reason I can recover fast enough to train chest more often, but it's just not an option on bigger muscle groups.

Yeah chest is easy to recover, at times, I bench three times a week.

The reason why you struggle to squat after deads is because you high-bar it. High bar is incredibly demanding on the lower back muscles. Probably time to move to low-bar, at least for a block or two. I like

And yeah, I obviously do accessories, just didnt feel like listing them all :laugh:

Reactions: Lebowski

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Once I'm done cutting, my hope would be to get to 2 plates someday. :laugh:

You guys and your freaking three plates...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Once I'm done cutting, my hope would be to get to 2 plates someday. :laugh:

You guys and your freaking three plates...

To be fair, I’m not exactly close to that target, it’s more of a long term goal.

I’m probably about 40 pounds shy and it could take a while to get there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To be fair, I’m not exactly close to that target, it’s more of a long term goal.

I’m probably about 40 pounds shy and it could take a while to get there.

Getting to 3 plates was probably the hardest thing ive done. I was stuck at 260/280ish for soooo long. When I went to 300 it was such a relief, I had plateaud for like 3 years I think.

Best thing I ever done was focus on tricep strength rather than chest.

JM presses, if you can do them right, will skyrocket your gains.

I did 1 day of comp bench and added in two days where id work triceps (One triceps and one overhead work.)

It completely changed my pressing power.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Getting to 3 plates was probably the hardest thing ive done. I was stuck at 260/280ish for soooo long. When I went to 300 it was such a relief, I had plateaud for like 3 years I think.

Best thing I ever done was focus on tricep strength rather than chest.

JM presses, if you can do them right, will skyrocket your gains.

I did 1 day of comp bench and added in two days where id work triceps (One triceps and one overhead work.)

It completely changed my pressing power.

I’m a big fan of heavy skull crushers and I think the tricep strength I have gained has really helped my bench. Haven’t tried JM presses though.

I find there’s a bit of a mental barrier when it comes to these weight targets. It took me forever to get to a 2 plates bench and once I finally attempted it it felt lighter than I thought and pretty soon after I could rep the weight. Same goes for the 3p squat or 4p deadlift.

Off topic, but I went for a run today, which I rarely do, and holy crap it feels even worse as soon as it gets a bit chilly outside. Feels like my lungs are going to burst after a mere 3 km. I need to work on my cardio pretty bad.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad