OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I really doubt it. My body would likely expedite the process of catabolizing my muscle for energy.

How ever I haven't read much about fasting. I just know the human body is evolved to withstand famine which is why we store fat, because it's easy. It's also why we lose our muscle when we stop working out because your body will always look to stabilize itself and muscles are not cheap and easy like fat is.

A 5 day fast probably would be fine for you, if not good. I have never experimented so can't speak for myself but I've trained people who were on 5 days fasting, from what they were telling me their energy levels were good, their strength wasn't impacted at all, and they felt great overall.
I know more people who felt like crap from doing low carbs diet than fasting.

It's been a while but if I recall correctly, Dr. Rhonda Patrick, a cell biologist and big proponent for fasting, has mentioned how there's a major difference in fasting vs undernourishment.
Your body responds very differently to these two things.

If you told your buddies you're fasting for 5 days, of course most if not all will look at you crazily. Because everyone has been told since birth they need to have breakfast, lunch and dinner, which is a modern day invention if we look at the entirety of human history. Three meals a day only came about in the 18th century apparently and a lot of research came out over the past few years debunking the belief that it's needed for a healthy life.

All in all, you'd probably be fine if you did a 5 day fast. Might even feel better after it.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Have been trying the following since August 30th (until October 15)

-No booze
-Dumbell/bodyweight workouts 5x week
-Jump Rope (x2000 jumps) 5x week
-10k+ steps per day (I usually hit 12.5K)

I eat pretty well, not in ketosis but more or less keto, low carb very low sugar.
I sometimes try intermittent fasting (16-8). Recently the weight loss has stalled which is frusterating but am seeing new definition over the last month....

I really want to get back to the gym. I need to shake up my dumbell workout a bit I think, starting to get some tennis elbow like symptoms from repitition.

I also recently bought a vibrating foam roller, highly recommended.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have to find a new gym since CEPSUM is closing in two weeks and my old pre-covid gym has closed shop...

Gosh this sucks... I have no idea where to go. I just need an open gym somewhere where I can squat bench and deadlift... looking at most gyms, they close at 2pm on sundays... wtf.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
A 5 day fast probably would be fine for you, if not good. I have never experimented so can't speak for myself but I've trained people who were on 5 days fasting, from what they were telling me their energy levels were good, their strength wasn't impacted at all, and they felt great overall.

It's been a while but if I recall correctly, Dr. Rhonda Patrick, a cell biologist and big proponent for fasting, has mentioned how there's a major difference in fasting vs undernourishment.

If you told your buddies you're fasting for 5 days, of course most if not all will look at you crazily. Because everyone has been told since birth they need to have breakfast, lunch and dinner, which is a modern day invention if we look at the entirety of human history. Three meals a day only came about in the 18th century apparently and a lot of research came out over the past few years debunking the belief that it's needed for a healthy life.

All in all, you'd probably be fine if you did a 5 day fast. Might even feel better after it.
We’ve moved into the 6 meals a day non sense now. One meal a day has me feeling the best I ever have. There’s no way I’ll ever go back.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lots of ppl do. I’ve read all kinds of fitness, and health magazines talking about the benefits of eating 6 times a day. No thank you, I don’t want to build my day around what I’m eating.
I was reading about bulking and most talk about 6 or 7 meals spread throughout the day...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Lots of ppl do. I’ve read all kinds of fitness, and health magazines talking about the benefits of eating 6 times a day. No thank you, I don’t want to build my day around what I’m eating.
Makes sense if you want to bulk.
I've also done it for weight loss so you could do it this way, but I don't recall anybody ever suggesting it was a healthy habit. That's a bit silly and completely unsustainable anyways.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I've also done it for weight loss so you could do it this way, but I don't recall anybody ever suggesting it was a healthy habit. That's a bit silly and completely unsustainable anyways.
Nobody in this forum, but I’ve read lots that suggest it’s healthy. I think it’s ridiculous and unnecessary even if bulking. It’s a little harder to bulk while intermittent fasting, but still doable.

Running 100 miles over 5 days while fasting has no benefit at all. Bragging rights, I guess, but there is no reason to try this. Damn foolish.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Can I just have three big meals and bulk? Do you need six?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Can I just have three big meals and bulk? Do you need six?

Depends how much you want to bulk or where you're starting from. Once you reach a certain point, you will have to split into more meals because eating huge meals isn't exactly easy. Furthermore, there's a limit as to how much protein per meal you should have to grow. If you overdo it then it will become fat like everything else.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nobody in this forum, but I’ve read lots that suggest it’s healthy. I think it’s ridiculous and unnecessary even if bulking. It’s a little harder to bulk while intermittent fasting, but still doable.

Running 100 miles over 5 days while fasting has no benefit at all. Bragging rights, I guess, but there is no reason to try this. Damn foolish.

That depends on your hours, if you have a 6h feeding window, good luck. You'll probably mostly gain fat.
If you have a 10h window, then perhaps ya.
Also depends where you're coming from as I just mentioned above.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That depends on your hours, if you have a 6h feeding window, good luck. You'll probably mostly gain fat.
If you have a 10h window, then perhaps ya.
Also depends where you're coming from as I just mentioned above.
Can be done on 6hour window, buddy of mine is doing it right now. The opposite of what you said is happening, very little fat.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Can be done on 6hour window, buddy of mine is doing it right now. The opposite of what you said is happening, very little fat.
Where did he start from? what was/is his body comp?

For the record, I didn't say it was impossible. I said ''good luck'' and it depends where you start/end.

Last edited:

LeGarsDuCable

Sep 17, 2020

3:20

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I would assume he does, still think it's pretty stupid and pointless. There's no purpose here really outside of just trying this out.

I can't imagine it's more risky than eating 250+ grams of protein a day spread over six different meals while doing a lot of heavy lifts -- long term.

But this might actually have educational value.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I really doubt it. My body would likely expedite the process of catabolizing my muscle for energy.

How ever I haven't read much about fasting. I just know the human body is evolved to withstand famine which is why we store fat, because it's easy. It's also why we lose our muscle when we stop working out because your body will always look to stabilize itself and muscles are not cheap and easy like fat is.

I've done a few 5 day fasts and regularly do 2-3 day fasts alongside just general intermittent fasting. There was no noticeable loss of strength during any of my fasts but I also never tried to get accurate before/after testing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its crazy how my cardio has gone from zero to 100 so far. Im a monster on the mat now!

Every single person Ive sparred with has complimented me on my strength, which is nice, since Im holding back to 60%-70% ever since my 2nd or 3rd session.

I did spar with a white belt that was overly aggressive today... He tried to wrist lock me and it kinda did hurt. Should I be mad at this ? @NotProkofievian

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad