OT: Fitness and Nutrition XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
High-bar, yes. But to be honest, I've never really paid attention to high/low bar, I just learned the movement on my own, did what felt right, and gradually adapted my technique based on cues I heard here and there. For the most part, I think my form stays pretty damn good and until I get into the 3RM range. At that point knees start caving in, back leaning forward, etc. My numbers are still slowly going up on squat, but I'm doing more volume work lately.

Do you do any accessory work beyond the main lifts? And yeah I plan to keep working on the bench since it's going well. I don't think there's any mystery in why it's going well though, I just started doing bench twice a week, once more as a warmup and focused on volume or paused press, and the other focusing on strength on chest day. For some reason I can recover fast enough to train chest more often, but it's just not an option on bigger muscle groups.

Fall down this youtube hole. Your levers and hip sockets tell you how you should squat. There's nothing wrong with squatting highbar, and for some people it may actually be their best bet.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Much harder to do right next to your couch. Plus the results will be minimal. Plus you dont know wtf you doing.

Just in case there are any kids out there reading. The gym does not cast some magical spell that results in more gains. Your dumbell work at home will have the same minimal results as your dumbell work in the gym.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just in case there are any kids out there reading. The gym does not cast some magical spell that results in more gains. Your dumbell work at home will have the same minimal results as your dumbell work in the gym.
Technically speaking yes, but a lot of people, myself included, perform way better when placed in an environment conducive to training which will yield better results in the end.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Technically speaking yes, but a lot of people, myself included, perform way better when placed in an environment conducive to training which will yield better results in the end.

For sure. I would never argue the benefits of a gym, equipment wise etc. Unless you are living a pretty comfortable life you will never have the amenities a gym can offer.

But for some it's just not the right thing. I think it's useless to go any deeper than just every person is an individual. I have done both gym and at home (and no I don't lift beside my couch I have a workout room, and no I'm literally never tempted to watch TV or anything like that) and I lift much more effectively and train harder at home. I love gyms. I often think about signing back up. But so far as I keep taking my training more and more seriously, home is just working harder for me than the gym ever did.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For sure. I would never argue the benefits of a gym, equipment wise etc. Unless you are living a pretty comfortable life you will never have the amenities a gym can offer.

But for some it's just not the right thing. I think it's useless to go any deeper than just every person is an individual. I have done both gym and at home (and no I don't lift beside my couch I have a workout room, and no I'm literally never tempted to watch TV or anything like that) and I lift much more effectively and train harder at home. I love gyms. I often think about signing back up. But so far as I keep taking my training more and more seriously, home is just working harder for me than the gym ever did.

Ya, that's you. I'm much better at the gym, it's not even close.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Off topic, but I went for a run today, which I rarely do, and holy crap it feels even worse as soon as it gets a bit chilly outside. Feels like my lungs are going to burst after a mere 3 km. I need to work on my cardio pretty bad.
1) Run slower. 2) 10/1 - run for 10 minutes, walk for 1 minute. It's all about pace.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm able to invert without any pain on my rib, and it doesn't hurt when I sneeze or cough, or do a plank, so I should be good to practice jiu jitsu techniques again. Probably 2 weeks out until I can roll live again, though.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm able to invert without any pain on my rib, and it doesn't hurt when I sneeze or cough, or do a plank, so I should be good to practice jiu jitsu techniques again. Probably 2 weeks out until I can roll live again, though.
Better catch up to my technique cause I went twice already and Im going 3 times this week, when we meet Ill be a black belt.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What did you learn this time?
I didn't ask to learn much more, just more applications.

Usually they follow some kind of generic principles for newbies but I don't think learning 20 different techniques half-assed is how Id want to learn, Id rather get really strong at something and then move on from there when I know Ive mastered it.

I did learn to play guard much better now though, the use of knees and feet while in guard instead of just using hands and arms.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I didn't ask to learn much more, just more applications.

Usually they follow some kind of generic principles for newbies but I don't think learning 20 different techniques half-assed is how Id want to learn, Id rather get really strong at something and then move on from there when I know Ive mastered it.

I did learn to play guard much better now though, the use of knees and feet while in guard instead of just using hands and arms.

You learn any escapes?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You learn any escapes?

Learn is a word I don't like as I have under 5 hours of practice, so no I didn't learn them :laugh:

I did see some escapes though, yes. I did learn and effectively use one back mount escape, its pretty simple, you grab his over arm and try to pull him forward while falling on the same side after that its wedging arm and head until were both laying side to side.

I guess theres probably a name for it but I dont know it.

Also did learn a few takedowns but didn't practice as there wasn't enough space since the classes were packed. One of them looks super dope where youre in open guard and you sweep both ankles with your hands, simple but seems effective.

Maybe buy a gi first...:p

I did ! Still waiting for it to arrive :(. Gonna look dashing in my super expensive Gi as a noob

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
@NotProkofievian

Ive also tried to learn by using videos on youtube but I find its really hard because they always just have the opponent laying on them immobile... Like, I understand what theyre trying to do, but when I move, he's going to move, so shits going out the window.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Learn is a word I don't like as I have under 5 hours of practice, so no I didn't learn them :laugh:

I did see some escapes though, yes. I did learn and effectively use one back mount escape, its pretty simple, you grab his over arm and try to pull him forward while falling on the same side after that its wedging arm and head until were both laying side to side.

I guess theres probably a name for it but I dont know it.

Escaping from back mount is how I popped my rib. I need to work on back escapes, clearly.

Also did learn a few takedowns but didn't practice as there wasn't enough space since the classes were packed. One of them looks super dope where youre in open guard and you sweep both ankles with your hands, simple but seems effective.

It's suitably called the dummy sweep. It is really effective, once you have both their ankles their ability to balance is shot. Typically, they won't just let you get both ankles though, so you have to threaten something else to get them to do that. When I usually get it, it's because I'm trying to create an angle on my partner, to try and work to the back. They don't want me to do that so they square up, and in so doing bring their ankles close to me.

You can also get it if you only have one ankle, and hooking the other leg with your foot. It's called a tripod sweep then. That's actually really high percentage.

@NotProkofievian

Ive also tried to learn by using videos on youtube but I find its really hard because they always just have the opponent laying on them immobile... Like, I understand what theyre trying to do, but when I move, he's going to move, so shits going out the window.

Yeah that's the game. Typically what I find youtube useful is finding a potential solution to a problem that I experienced while rolling. That's the point of rolling, actually. You get live feedback on your ideas, and that feedback tells you if you're full of shit, or if you might be on to something. For example, I love the armbar from guard. One of the responses to the armbar from guard is to stack. I don't mind it so much, because I know the counter to that. But then, recently, someone had a counter to my counter. And youtube didn't have an answer for me. So I went to one of the black belts, and now I have a counter to someone's counter to my counter of their counter of my armbar from guard. I expect this process to keep happening so long as I keep trying to armbar people from the guard.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Escaping from back mount is how I popped my rib. I need to work on back escapes, clearly.

It's suitably called the dummy sweep. It is really effective, once you have both their ankles their ability to balance is shot. Typically, they won't just let you get both ankles though, so you have to threaten something else to get them to do that. When I usually get it, it's because I'm trying to create an angle on my partner, to try and work to the back. They don't want me to do that so they square up, and in so doing bring their ankles close to me.

You can also get it if you only have one ankle, and hooking the other leg with your foot. It's called a tripod sweep then. That's actually really high percentage.

Yeah that's the game. Typically what I find youtube useful is finding a potential solution to a problem that I experienced while rolling. That's the point of rolling, actually. You get live feedback on your ideas, and that feedback tells you if you're full of shit, or if you might be on to something. For example, I love the armbar from guard. One of the responses to the armbar from guard is to stack. I don't mind it so much, because I know the counter to that. But then, recently, someone had a counter to my counter. And youtube didn't have an answer for me. So I went to one of the black belts, and now I have a counter to someone's counter to my counter of their counter of my armbar from guard. I expect this process to keep happening so long as I keep trying to armbar people from the guard.

MINDBLOWN.GIF

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So todays sparring was cool

I was with three blue belts, one is the owner so he ran me through a lot of things, gave me a lot of position, told me when my guard wasn't good, etc. Another was really similar but he told me I had a really strong grip (Obviously bro have you seen em forearms?) and the other wasn't going at 100%, obviously, but I felt was a bit rougher than the others and I had A LOT of fun with him. I don't know if it was on purpose, most likely, but he let me sweep all the way to his back, or maybe he wasn't thinking I'd do that and he got caught off guard, I don't know. Regardless, I had him in a rear naked choke but buzzer went off before I could finish.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So todays sparring was cool

I was with three blue belts, one is the owner so he ran me through a lot of things, gave me a lot of position, told me when my guard wasn't good, etc. Another was really similar but he told me I had a really strong grip (Obviously bro have you seen em forearms?) and the other wasn't going at 100%, obviously, but I felt was a bit rougher than the others and I had A LOT of fun with him. I don't know if it was on purpose, most likely, but he let me sweep all the way to his back, or maybe he wasn't thinking I'd do that and he got caught off guard, I don't know. Regardless, I had him in a rear naked choke but buzzer went off before I could finish.

You will clearly have an advantage strength wise on most people, but I would imagine flexibility might be a weakness (never saw you so IDK, but you're a THICC boy). Heard of plenty of THICC boy being rendered helpless just because they were not flexible enough to counter a simple grapple ( I remember my army brother telling me how he controlled his drunk army friend 30+ pounds heavier by just locking him at the shoulder from behind). Practicing flexibility daily is super easy and can be very useful to the iron bar body class. I would know, my dads side is not flexible at all and my aunt is still a karate black belt with a few dans (took a hell lot of effort and still very far from super flexible).

Stuff as simple like trying to reach your toes every day can be a great help.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You will clearly have an advantage strength wise on most people, but I would imagine flexibility might be a weakness (never saw you so IDK, but you're a THICC boy). Heard of plenty of THICC boy being rendered helpless just because they were not flexible enough to counter a simple grapple ( I remember my army brother telling me how he controlled his drunk army friend 30+ pounds heavier by just locking him at the shoulder from behind). Practicing flexibility daily is super easy and can be very useful to the iron bar body class. I would know, my dads side is not flexible at all and my aunt is still a karate black belt with a few dans (took a hell lot of effort and still very far from super flexible).

Stuff as simple like trying to reach your toes every day can be a great help.

Ive done my fair share of yoga, not as limber as I used to be, but Im still more than fine.

The thing that draws me back is that im probably the easiest to triangle because of the size of my delts and traps. Rip.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Received my gi and it looks like a thousand bucks. Almost cost me a quarter of that, so -_-

f***ing custom fees...
Make sure you wash that shit regularly. Nothing more annoying than grappling with a guy who smells like months of unwashed sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad