Fitness and Nutrition VIII

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Those numbers are just my 1 rpm values, so in all likelihood you have already surpassed me. I was doing 275 3 x 5 on squat and deadlifts, 180 on bench 3 x 5 and my overhead has always been a sore spot for me, but I was doing 105 3 x 5. I feel like my squat was comfortable enough at 335 that I could have gone higher, but I just added weight until I was too zonked to add more, at the time I didn't know if I could go that high so I was adding 5 lbs per side from 300 until I couldn't add anymore. If I had have jumped to 335 from my 275 I prolly could have done more. My squat/deadlift were pretty were close in weight, so I just used my squat numbers to gauge what to put on for the deadlift. Not a very scientific approach.

When I began this program several months ago I had been going to the gym off and on with no real structure and started quite light. I was roughly 1 plate per side on bench/squat and deadlift because i had no real idea where to begin. I was aggressive with squat and deadlifts adding roughly 20 lbs each workout because the starting weight was easy for me, but only adding 10lbs for bench, then eventually bench I could only add 5 lbs and squats/deadlifts eventually went to 5 lbs per side. I was still seeing results, but I got bored.

My 3 x 5 lifts were all quite comfortable too, likely could have gone a bit higher. I had 2 workouts where I couldn't complete the 3rd set anymore, but I think sleep and diet was holding me back.
Interesting numbers to say the least. I’m kind of the opposite of you where my squat lags behind everything else, though I’m much more form conscious with my squat where as I pretty much just grip it and rip it with everything else.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Man, after watching The Cove documentary i decided to cut down on tuna. Mercury sucks & so does Japan, hiding their dolphin slaughtering operations.

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Here is why I pay very little attention to these nutrition studies anymore..

A new study was published linking skipping breakfast to increased cardiovascular death.
Skipping breakfast tied to higher risk of heart-related death, study finds - CNN
When you click on the link, the cover of the video contains eggs, which apparently are absolute heart killers according to another study they posted not too long ago...Quite ironic.

What is even funnier, a few links below that post, they have another article where their chief medical correspondant went to visit a tribe in Bolivia where it is said the people have the healthiest hearts in the world.
Life lessons from the native tribe with the healthiest hearts in the world - CNN
I am surprised he believed animal meat was going to dominate a tribe's diet. Killing an animal and preparing it takes way more time and effort vs plantains, rice, corn and all of the other corn so easily accessible to them. I'm not surprised to see it dominated by carbs, makes perfect sense.
That aside, what's funny is he also noticed they obviously do intermittent fasting due to food scarcity.

So, to sum it up.
Couple weeks back, ''watch out for eggs! they're terrible for your heart''. Few days ago, ''healthiest hearts mostly eats carbs, some fat and animal proteins, while doing intermittent fasting''. Yesterday, ''don't skip breakfast! it's terrible for your heart''....''and here's a great healthy breakfast recipe with eggs+milk''....lolll

Talk about not getting your story straight...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Here is why I pay very little attention to these nutrition studies anymore..

A new study was published linking skipping breakfast to increased cardiovascular death.
Skipping breakfast tied to higher risk of heart-related death, study finds - CNN
When you click on the link, the cover of the video contains eggs, which apparently are absolute heart killers according to another study they posted not too long ago...Quite ironic.

What is even funnier, a few links below that post, they have another article where their chief medical correspondant went to visit a tribe in Bolivia where it is said the people have the healthiest hearts in the world.
Life lessons from the native tribe with the healthiest hearts in the world - CNN
I am surprised he believed animal meat was going to dominate a tribe's diet. Killing an animal and preparing it takes way more time and effort vs plantains, rice, corn and all of the other corn so easily accessible to them. I'm not surprised to see it dominated by carbs, makes perfect sense.
That aside, what's funny is he also noticed they obviously do intermittent fasting due to food scarcity.

So, to sum it up.
Couple weeks back, ''watch out for eggs! they're terrible for your heart''. Few days ago, ''healthiest hearts mostly eats carbs, some fat and animal proteins, while doing intermittent fasting''. Yesterday, ''don't skip breakfast! it's terrible for your heart''....''and here's a great healthy breakfast recipe with eggs+milk''....lolll

Talk about not getting your story straight...
You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though, the general gist of it all is quite apparent. Michael Pollans quote of "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" is a great rule of thumb for most.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though, the general gist of it all is quite apparent. Michael Pollans quote of "eat food, not too much, mostly plants" is a great rule of thumb for most.
I prefer ''eat balanced and stay away from junk''. Trying to discuss relative quantities is a no-no for me. Is 55% most? or 75%? What's not too much? 3 meals per day? How much per meal is okay?...
I'm not talking about myself, these are questions I get asked regularly.

If you eat balanced while staying away from junk, you'll be fine. Your body will tell you when you're hungry and not. You're not going to binge eat on cucumbers mangos broccoli and fish.
Forget portion control and limitations. Eat balanced and stay away from junk, that's all you need.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I prefer ''eat balanced and stay away from junk''. Trying to discuss relative quantities is a no-no for me. Is 55% most? or 75%? What's not too much? 3 meals per day? How much per meal is okay?...
I'm not talking about myself, these are questions I get asked regularly.

If you eat balanced while staying away from junk, you'll be fine. Your body will tell you when you're hungry and not. You're not going to binge eat on cucumbers mangos broccoli and fish.
Forget portion control and limitations. Eat balanced and stay away from junk, that's all you need.

Says you. They have these bags of vegetables that steam right inside their own bag. So I'll get a glass of sangria, sit down in front of the TV, my bag of vegetables, before you know it I'm ready for bed.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Says you. They have these bags of vegetables that steam right inside their own bag. So I'll get a glass of sangria, sit down in front of the TV, my bag of vegetables, before you know it I'm ready for bed.
Are you trying to say that's a binge?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was curious yesterday so I tried adding a bit of weight to the bar each time to see how much I could squat. I was able to squat 300 lbs one time before I stopped because I was getting tired (I had done a bunch leading up to that) and in my head that's the number I wanted to stop at. I wouldn't be able to do that for reps though, just maybe 2-3 times. Currently I am doing 200 lbs 5x5 and it's only on the 5th set at rep 3 or 4 I start to struggle. I'm not really in a rush so I will just keep going at the same rate for now. I increase my squat weight by 15 lbs per week.

Reactions: overlords

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I've nearly completely cut wheat in the last two weeks (AKA, the only wheat I ingested was wheat from beer and I did eat something fried last weekend, which probably involves some flour). I did compensate with rice, fruits and veggies, so it's not like I was lacking carbs (or fibers).

I think I farted about twice during these two weeks.

Choices ahead.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oatmeal has been my go to preworkout meals but now I can't do it anymore. It's crazy the gas is gives me.

I'll try rice cakes I guess.... I don't know what else could be fast enough to eat in a few minutes on the go style with a high carb intake.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Oatmeal has been my go to preworkout meals but now I can't do it anymore. It's crazy the gas is gives me.

I'll try rice cakes I guess.... I don't know what else could be fast enough to eat in a few minutes on the go style with a high carb intake.

A smoothie mate...
If you need to eat, I usually make a ton of lentils, can eat that any time of the day. I'll finish a bowl of lentils twice as fast as the oatmeal one as I actually really love my middle easter style lentils. Oatmeal taste like crap.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I usually do a smoothie with soymilk, oats, nuts/seeds, algae oil, greens, banana, and berries. Gives me plenty of carbs and protein (like 35g or so) and some healthy fats.

Oats in a smoothie is a great hack

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
175g pain iceland yogurt: 110cal / 8g carbs / 21g protein
63g vector granola: 290cal / 24g carbs / 20g protein

400cal - 32g carbs - 41g protein

vs

oatmeal - 180cal / 30g carbs / 5g protein (I guess it depends on how you make it)
2 scoop whey shake - 180cal / ~0-2g carbs / 44g protein

360 cal - 32g carbs - 49g protein

It's pretty close.

Reactions: McTusk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can blend it to a point where you still need to chew it and use a spoon instead of drinking it, if that makes you feel better...Lol
I just despise drinking my calories, but I guess sometimes I have a hard time hitting my macros so it could be a solution. I'm just not sure how ill handle it digestion wise, liquid tends to bloat me up alot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad