Fitness and Nutrition VIII

MaxLac

Oct 5, 2017
I really, really, really want to start some martial art but I can't decide on which one Id rather do. Judo, JiuJitsu, boxing, kickboxing are all interesting to me. I can't take a hit because it will make me even more of a vegetable so I wonder if grappling could be too rough for my head, and then boxing and kickboxing would be only striking practice and this sounds pretty sad after a while...

I do Muay Thai and Kickboxing, and it's super fun. You get to practice striking, but in Muay Thai there's also the clinch training that is very fun. You won't get bored, even if only practicing striking. It sounds simple, but to truly master it and having a good defense and a good form, it can take years. If you don't do sparring, you won't get hit. You don't hit your partner in pads work. Actually, you might have more risk in grappling training to get hit to the head. But if you don't know what to choose, you can go to gym like Académie Fronctenac, where there's boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, BJJ, krav maga, etc. You pay like for 3 sessions a week, and you do whatever you want. ex: 2 sessions of muay thai and 1 of BBJ. It can also be differents every week. You choose. I personally go to Academie Fronctenac and I love it.

Reactions: Mrb1p

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Screenshot_20190903-173825.png

Reactions: groovejuice

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdfExtended/S1550-4131(19)30429-2

New, relatively rigorous study on alternate-day fasting.
Thanks. This presents IF as a workable fit for a normal lifestyle, rather than the daunting full-month thing I'd never do. Truthfully, I don't see myself keeping a strict day-on, day-off schedule either, but I could do two or three days a week, which would seem to carry benefits. All the data I've read (most of it from you, actually) says it's worth it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive been gone for two weeks now and Ive never looked flatter in my whole life. I basically look like ive never lifted before. I bet my capacity left me somewhere, too. At least I kept good shoulder pumps with paddling out in the ocean on a daily basis.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
He looked pretty strong in that CBC video, especially given the fact that he had some surgery on his left knee in April. If I'm not wrong he was repping at least 315 for squats which, in the big picture, isn't insane, but it's a respectable amount of weight.

Ain't that crazy, 315 for squats isn't insane, yet i'm proud to tell my friends i've reached the 200.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ain't that crazy, 315 for squats isn't insane, yet i'm proud to tell my friends i've reached the 200.

And if you keep working you'll hit 315 no problem. I think pretty much most people can hit 315 for reps with consistent training and diet.

And 200 is still impressive, most of my friends can't do that. But if you are regularly training, you'll soon be at 250 and 200 will feel like nothing.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Keep going, and you'll get there. The important thing is not the number, but that the number increases. One word though: volume. I never had great success with the starting strength stuff or programs like that, but I did sheiko's beginner program (not the numbered ones) and all of a sudden I had the same kind of success. The key for me was more volume (roughly twice as much). It's different for different people.

Reactions: DAChampion

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Keep going, and you'll get there. The important thing is not the number, but that the number increases. One word though: volume. I never had great success with the starting strength stuff or programs like that, but I did sheiko's beginner program (not the numbered ones) and all of a sudden I had the same kind of success. The key for me was more volume (roughly twice as much). It's different for different people.

For squats, 5x5 3 times a week has been steady increases for me.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

Ye well that's my problem. I go ape shit once a week and then can't do shit for the rest of the week.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ye well that's my problem. I go ape **** once a week and then can't do **** for the rest of the week.
Just soldier through it and youll have the capacity to hit those easily.

Im a mad man and I went from squatting 1 day every other week to doing Smolov, which is four days of squats a week. The first few weeks were hell. Im glad I did it though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I ripped my thumb open a month ago and got six stitches. Now its closed but I cant hold anything over 450ish because it feels like my thumb will rip open...

Anybody knows where I can get really cheap figure 8 straps? #cheapguy

Sucks because I was starting to feel ready to try and hit that 6 0 0 dead. :/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Horrifying

His Parents/caregivers create this... They should be held accountable.

Always amazes me to hear crazy shit like "oh, my kid doesn't eat vegetables"???

As if a human child, who is 100% dependent for access to food from his parents/caregivers until late childhood, could develop these kind of eating patterns without parents content to allow the "picky eating" to get that ridiculous by the time they hit teenage independence.

No animal, including humans, will starve itself intentionally because of taste or texture aversions...

Here's the food. Eat it. This is the first period in human history where the beautiful simplicity of this in raising humans has somehow been forgotten or missed by some...

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I ripped my thumb open a month ago and got six stitches. Now its closed but I cant hold anything over 450ish because it feels like my thumb will rip open...

Anybody knows where I can get really cheap figure 8 straps? #cheapguy

Sucks because I was starting to feel ready to try and hit that 6 0 0 dead. :/
Sportium: The largest sports store in Québec | SPORTIUM

Now, I'm looking for a new gym that fits the below criteria:

Spacious enough not to be overcrowded in the evening (5esh)
Easily accessible by public transportation
Offers body testing
More than 2 squat racks
Not crazy expensive

Any recommendations?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sportium: The largest sports store in Québec | SPORTIUM

Now, I'm looking for a new gym that fits the below criteria:

Spacious enough not to be overcrowded in the evening (5esh)
Easily accessible by public transportation
Offers body testing
More than 2 squat racks
Not crazy expensive

Any recommendations?
They dont have figure 8s :/

In which part of the city are you? What do you mean by body testing?

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
They dont have figure 8s :/

In which part of the city are you? What do you mean by body testing?
I'm in Longueuil but if it's less than 30minutes by public transport from downtown Montreal I'm good.
I mean body composition analysis or a Bioelectrical impedance test of some sort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad