Fitness and Nutrition VIII

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
just wonder if you guys have an idea of another exercise i could do, who will be as efficient as hanging leg raise for my abs. ty.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
just wonder if you guys have an idea of another exercise i could do, who will be as efficient as hanging leg raise for my abs. ty.
Efficient for what exactly? Theres about 200 variations of variations with different results.

Cant go wrong with planks and using the hypertension to do controlled sit ups.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Efficient for what exactly? Theres about 200 variations of variations with different results.

Cant go wrong with planks and using the hypertension to do controlled sit ups.

time efficient. already do flutter kicks + scissors kicks + plank 3x + 4x 25 hanging leg raise. dont wanna spend 45 min on abs since im doing them 2-3x a week.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
time efficient. already do flutter kicks + scissors kicks + plank 3x + 4x 25 hanging leg raise. dont wanna spend 45 min on abs since im doing them 2-3x a week.
Cut the flutter kicks/scissor and add in either weighed planks, Abrollers, sit up on a hyper machine. Another I like to really target and develop the mind muscle is cable crunches.

At some point though abs exercise become somewhat irrelevant, depending on what your goals are.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A study of siblings in Sweden associates stress levels with heart attacks.

Meditation might be a good idea for me if I were more organized. I am chronically stressed by all of the shit that I need to do and the lack of time to do it.

ImI now stuck in traffic, I'm possibly missing one or two appointments. My car is actually stopped, the police have stopped traffic for I don't know what reason.

I keep seeing ambulances pass by, I wonder if anything major happened in Baltimore.

High Stress Drives Up Your Risk Of A Heart Attack. Here's How To Chill Out

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I ate a huge bowl of pasta in support of Lasha today.

#IamLasha
#Ieatforperformance
#Icantouchthefloorwithmypalms

What kind of sauce?
What kind of pasta?

Congratulations on item #3, that is great.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Squat: 45 lbs -> 145 lbs
Bench: 45 lbs -> 95 lbs
Row: 45 lbs -> 115 lbs
Seated Overhead Press: 45 lbs -> 80 lbs
DL: 45 lbs -> 185 lbs

So I posted that on Feb 25. Since then, I took a few weeks off as I had a baby and when I returned, I did a deload of 20% on everything.

Today:
Squat: 195lbs
Bench: 115lbs
Row: 125lbs
OHP: 90lbs
DL: 225lbs

These are all numbers for reps, 5x5. Never tried to see what my max is. Doing linear progression.

Not huge numbers but I am happy considering I can only get maybe 4 hours of sleep a night with this baby.

Was struggling with the previous numbers, but I started taking creatine in March and I really feel a difference, I am having zero problems with any of the lifts.

EXCEPT OHP. I hate this one. My shoulder has been hurting since Feb so I finally went to physio and turns out I sprained my AC joint which makes sense. So I haven't been doing OHP while I rehab my shoulder. Does not really affect anything else.

Creatine has really caused me to gain a lot of water weight. At 5'9" I'm at 196 lbs which is starting to feel like a lot. I was around 183 in Jan when I started this program.

I'm kind of at the point where I'm unsure what to do next. On one hand, I would like to continue getting stronger as these numbers are not very high. On the other hand, I have to eat so damn much and with the creatine I feel so bloated and fat. It's very hard to focus on eating well with a newborn. With the summer coming up I have the temptation to try and cut a bit and lose some BF (it's around 18% at the moment). But I won't be able to get stronger if I do that. Right now I am thinking of continuing as normal until June and then switch up my focus.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So I posted that on Feb 25. Since then, I took a few weeks off as I had a baby and when I returned, I did a deload of 20% on everything.

Today:
Squat: 195lbs
Bench: 115lbs
Row: 125lbs
OHP: 90lbs
DL: 225lbs

These are all numbers for reps, 5x5. Never tried to see what my max is. Doing linear progression.

Not huge numbers but I am happy considering I can only get maybe 4 hours of sleep a night with this baby.

Was struggling with the previous numbers, but I started taking creatine in March and I really feel a difference, I am having zero problems with any of the lifts.

EXCEPT OHP. I hate this one. My shoulder has been hurting since Feb so I finally went to physio and turns out I sprained my AC joint which makes sense. So I haven't been doing OHP while I rehab my shoulder. Does not really affect anything else.

Creatine has really caused me to gain a lot of water weight. At 5'9" I'm at 196 lbs which is starting to feel like a lot. I was around 183 in Jan when I started this program.

I'm kind of at the point where I'm unsure what to do next. On one hand, I would like to continue getting stronger as these numbers are not very high. On the other hand, I have to eat so damn much and with the creatine I feel so bloated and fat. It's very hard to focus on eating well with a newborn. With the summer coming up I have the temptation to try and cut a bit and lose some BF (it's around 18% at the moment). But I won't be able to get stronger if I do that. Right now I am thinking of continuing as normal until June and then switch up my focus.
getting leaner and stronger at the same time is damn near impossible, I would listen to your temptation and try and lean out through the summer and then retry a strength program in the fall. No offence, but those numbers are very low so I wonder if there is something wrong with your program. I’ve mentioned it before but I really am a believer in the alpha destiny novice program which only requires 3 days a week. Definitely a program to consider when you start strength training again. 196 lbs is also really high for 5’9” unless you are absolute unit, so I would definitely try and get down to where your abs are at least visible before trying to bulk up again. Continuing what you’re doing will just lead to you getting fat.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
getting leaner and stronger at the same time is damn near impossible, I would listen to your temptation and try and lean out through the summer and then retry a strength program in the fall. No offence, but those numbers are very low so I wonder if there is something wrong with your program. I’ve mentioned it before but I really am a believer in the alpha destiny novice program which only requires 3 days a week. Definitely a program to consider when you start strength training again. 196 lbs is also really high for 5’9” unless you are absolute unit, so I would definitely try and get down to where your abs are at least visible before trying to bulk up again. Continuing what you’re doing will just lead to you getting fat.

So the program I am doing is linear progression, adding 5-10 lbs per workout. I started with the empty bar in Jan so it has not been very long. Had to do it this way I was previously recovering from surgery and could not eat solids for some time. Lost a lot of strength and weight quickly and it took me a while to recover. I am purposely not jumping ahead even if I am not challenged on some lifts as I am paranoid about f***ing up my surgery. Slow and steady.

I know my weight seems high but I don't really look it. Used to be able to see my abs, but now only my top 2 are visible since I started on creatine. I am pretty broad for my height.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Omg f*** off already with the alphadestiny pseudoscience

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So the program I am doing is linear progression, adding 5-10 lbs per workout. I started with the empty bar in Jan so it has not been very long. Had to do it this way I was previously recovering from surgery and could not eat solids for some time. Lost a lot of strength and weight quickly and it took me a while to recover. I am purposely not jumping ahead even if I am not challenged on some lifts as I am paranoid about ****ing up my surgery. Slow and steady.

I know my weight seems high but I don't really look it. Used to be able to see my abs, but now only my top 2 are visible since I started on creatine. I am pretty broad for my height.
Ya it's gonna be really hard to do a strength program when you are concerned about a shoulder that you've had surgery for. IMHO all the more reason to do more lighter weight stuff and you can still get jacked as you lean down.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Omg **** off already with the alphadestiny pseudoscience
So the program I am doing is linear progression, adding 5-10 lbs per workout. I started with the empty bar in Jan so it has not been very long. Had to do it this way I was previously recovering from surgery and could not eat solids for some time. Lost a lot of strength and weight quickly and it took me a while to recover. I am purposely not jumping ahead even if I am not challenged on some lifts as I am paranoid about ****ing up my surgery. Slow and steady.

Starting strength is where it's at. Your numbers suggest you would benefit greatly from a program like this imho. Don't bother with Alpha Destiny. Starting strength is probably the most used program for anyone looking to build strength who is an inexperienced lifter. The program stands on its own imo. The 5x5 is jsut too much and likely hindering your performance. I would definitely switch to 3 x 5. It's a no brainer imo. You are recommended to increase your calorie intake on this program, but you will see significant results without. I got my squat up to 300 lbs doing this program while eating at maintenance or slightly below.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Ya it's gonna be really hard to do a strength program when you are concerned about a shoulder that you've had surgery for. IMHO all the more reason to do more lighter weight stuff and you can still get jacked as you lean down.

Surgery was on my diaphragm, not my shoulder. Let's just say things are not exactly wired up the same way anymore. So I need to progress slowly. But I do still think I can progress well. If I continue at the same rate barring setbacks my squat will be over 300 by June.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Starting strength is where it's at. Your numbers suggest you would benefit greatly from a program like this imho. Don't bother with Alpha Destiny. Starting strength is probably the most used program for anyone looking to build strength who is an inexperienced lifter. The program stands on its own imo. The 5x5 is jsut too much and likely hindering your performance. I would definitely switch to 3 x 5. It's a no brainer imo. You are recommended to increase your calorie intake on this program, but you will see significant results without. I got my squat up to 300 lbs doing this program while eating at maintenance or slightly below.
Starting Strength is definitely legit, but the alphadestiny program is basically an enhanced version of it- definitely borrows many of it's principles but takes it up a notch. I also like it because it's a fun program with variation as opposed to SS which is kinda boring tbh.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

I was torn between SS and SL5x5 and ultimately went with the latter. I admit it is grueling at times squatting 5x5 3x a week but I still should hit 300lbs in 5ish weeks or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad