Fitness and Nutrition VIII

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Asking for the beginners around here

If your form was **** on the big lifts, would you want someone to tell you and help or just let you figure it out on your own?
On deadlifts, I wish you were around my gym a few months ago. I could have used some technique tips. For some reason it took me forever to figure them out. Rounded back with an empty bar etc, I was embarrassed to do them my form was so poor.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On deadlifts, I wish you were around my gym a few months ago. I could have used some technique tips. For some reason it took me forever to figure them out. Rounded back with an empty bar etc, I was embarrassed to do them my form was so poor.
Just gotta create that keg and youre fine, mostly.

Its the easiest exercise to teach IMO, the cues are so easy to understand.

I guess Ill try and approach him before telling him. Im kinda known as the guy with headphones that doesnt loom your way though.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I’m eating the exact same meals, I’m just eating them in two sessions. Before I’d have my smoothie in the morning, a sandwich for lunch early afternoon, a protein shake post workout later afternoon, and then dinner in the evening. All I’ve really changed is I’m eating my sandwich while I drink my smoothie in the morning and eating dinner right when I get home from the gym.
Are you crapping more? :sarcasm:
Well there isn't too many possibilities, if you're convinced you're eating the exact same amount but now losing weight, your metabolism changed, you're burning more calories.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Just gotta create that keg and youre fine, mostly.

Its the easiest exercise to teach IMO, the cues are so easy to understand.

I guess Ill try and approach him before telling him. Im kinda known as the guy with headphones that doesnt loom your way though.

I think he'll be grateful tbh.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Anyone here can report their Incline Bench to Flat Bench 1RM ratio? I'm actually wondering if I'm that weak on the Incline or if it's a normal thing to be that much weaker on the Incline?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anyone here can report their Incline Bench to Flat Bench 1RM ratio? I'm actually wondering if I'm that weak on the Incline or if it's a normal thing to be that much weaker on the Incline?
I do different rep scheme for each so can't really say, but yes, I'm weaker on the incline.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't do 1RMs on incline, as I don't see the use for it. I rep 225 for 8 on incline I think, but I don't do it often. Maybe 250-260 range for strength and mr 1RM is about 330 on flat, if not a bit more.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I truly believe the best and most effective way to lose weight is committing to a lifestyle change. Fasting as you are is not far removed from the old "crash diet"- and it'll likely lead to binge eating in the future. It'll be effective in the short term as you aren't eating, but not something I'd do unless you are trying to fit in a suit for a wedding or something. Not eating is not healthy.

There are plenty of data on the health benefits of fasting.

But yes, I absolutely need to eat better on the other ~345 days of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There are plenty of data on the health benefits of fasting.

But yes, I absolutely need to eat better on the other ~345 days of the year.
Sounds like the people who go to the gym and think the 60min they spend twice per week doing low-mid intense exercising is enough to shape up. They ignore the 166 other hours they get to completely screw up.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sounds like the people who go to the gym and think the 60min they spend twice per week doing low-mid intense exercising is enough to shape up. They ignore the 166 other hours they get to completely screw up.

Not really no.

I didn't do 60 minutes twice a week, I did nothing. Like I wrote before, I was not allowed to do exercise after my surgery. I also did not fast. That does also lead to loss of will for food. I then had a high stress period for six months, involving a lot of travel and other personal issues that I have not described here.

Prior to that, I was at a good weight, eating well, and exercising regularly, and discussing strength gains here.

But if you like to judge, more power to you.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not really no.

I didn't do 60 minutes twice a week, I did nothing. Like I wrote before, I was not allowed to do exercise after my surgery. I also did not fast. That does also lead to loss of will for food. I then had a high stress period for six months, involving a lot of travel and other personal issues that I have not described here.

Prior to that, I was at a good weight, eating well, and exercising regularly, and discussing strength gains here.

But if you like to judge, more power to you.
I wasnt talking about you man. I was drawing a parallel on how doing some good (ex..your benefits of fasting ..or exercising twice per week for others) is pretty useless if its followed up by a lot of bad...You made that point, not me, I simply gave another example.

I wasnt attacking you mate...

Not sure what's going on these days here but people seem to be taking things way too personal.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wasnt talking about you man. I was drawing a parallel on how doing some good (ex..your benefits of fasting ..or exercising twice per week for others) is pretty useless if its followed up by a lot of bad...You made that point, not me, I simply gave another example.

I wasnt attacking you mate...

Not sure what's going on these days here but people seem to be taking things way too personal.

It must be keto rage.

Sorry, it's my fault, i am also dealing with some unfortunate stressors this week. I feel like an insurance company is attacking me on multiple fronts.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I truly believe the best and most effective way to lose weight is committing to a lifestyle change. Fasting as you are is not far removed from the old "crash diet"- and it'll likely lead to binge eating in the future. It'll be effective in the short term as you aren't eating, but not something I'd do unless you are trying to fit in a suit for a wedding or something. Not eating is not healthy.

Fasting has numerous health benefits, and it can absolutely be incorporated into a lifestyle change. I started fasting regularly maybe 2 years ago, and have for the most part kept at it.

Even fasting once in a blue moon and eating like crap the rest of the time is less like a crash diet and more like the person who never works out and then does push ups every day for a week before going back to his old habit of not working out. It's not unhealthy to do those push ups or to fast, but if you don't incorporate it into a lifestyle change then it's positive effects will be minimal.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm actually on the 4th day of a water+tea+coffee fast. Though I cheated and hat two lattes, so it is 400 calories over 4 days.

I gained like 20 lbs since my surgery, due to not being allowed to exercise for six weeks after the surgery, and having a lot of travel which causes jet lag, abd also I like to eat when traveling. I'd like to lose it, to fit into my old clothes, to feel better, etc.

I am following a standard trajectory. The first few days were tiring and low energy. Now it's day 4 and I'm sleeping better and have better concentration, by tomorrow I'll be euphoric, lol.

I can confirm that sex drive drops during a fast.

In the long run, I absolutely need to learn better eating habits while traveling. I'll be in Italy from May 24th - June 2nd, I am not sure how much I should gorge, lol. After that, I don't have any international trips for a while.

The hardest part of fasting for me is the variable willpower, and the fact that it is anti social.

For the willpower part, I read an article recently where they talk about willpower vs priorities. Essentially the argument was you have a finite amount of willpower everyday, so if you are simply adding a new task that takes willpower and don't change anything else you are destined to fail. Instead you essentially have to replace something, ie prioritize the new activity over other things, so that you spend same amount of will power a day. Not sure I buy it completely but there is probably some truth to it.

As for travelling, I'm the complete opposite I find travelling to be an opportune time to fast. But that's probably because most of my travel is for work, and I end up being so busy that the only time I have to eat would be after getting back to the hotel after a long day when all I want to do is sleep.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For the willpower part, I read an article recently where they talk about willpower vs priorities. Essentially the argument was you have a finite amount of willpower everyday, so if you are simply adding a new task that takes willpower and don't change anything else you are destined to fail. Instead you essentially have to replace something, ie prioritize the new activity over other things, so that you spend same amount of will power a day. Not sure I buy it completely but there is probably some truth to it.

As for travelling, I'm the complete opposite I find travelling to be an opportune time to fast. But that's probably because most of my travel is for work, and I end up being so busy that the only time I have to eat would be after getting back to the hotel after a long day when all I want to do is sleep.

I dont buy that willpower theory. You need discipline. It's more about breaking habits and cravings.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I dont buy that willpower theory. You need discipline. It's more about breaking habits and cravings.
I think it has some merit, but its not the be all, end all. I've noticed when dieting its the evenings that have always gotten to me. I could go all day making good choice after good choice and then I would go home and make poor decisions from being tired and out of will power. The same choices I made in the morning all of the sudden became difficult by evening.

I don't know what causes it, but its been a consistent theme on any diet, and you're right it takes discipline to follow through and be successful, but those decisions do become more difficult as the day wears on, at least for me.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think it has some merit, but its not the be all, end all. I've noticed when dieting its the evenings that have always gotten to me. I could go all day making good choice after good choice and then I would go home and make poor decisions from being tired and out of will power. The same choices I made in the morning all of the sudden became difficult by evening.

I don't know what causes it, but its been a consistent theme on any diet, and you're right it takes discipline to follow through and be successful, but those decisions do become more difficult as the day wears on, at least for me.

Comfort food...
After a long day, everyone just want to relax or have a good time, at home watching TV, or dining out with friends, or partying...
A lot of what we consume is associated with feelings/emotions.

I get home after a long day, I'm hungry, the last thing I want to do is prepare blend chicken breast with broccoli. That's so boring and doesnt even taste that good. Some carrots and cucumber with hummus To snack on? Screw that..gimme some chips man.
I know for me, even if I do behave well to have some clean chicken or fish with veggies and despite being full, I still will sometimes go for the chips after. That's not because I ran out of willpower for the day, it's because of associations in my damn brain that make me believe I feel better when I eat those things.
Even knowing fully well I'm gonna regret it tomorrow, that it isn't healthy, and will make me feel like crap as soon as I'm done...I still go for it.
It's not willpower. There is a deeper psychological connection imo and there is also an addiction factor.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the trick is to make the smarter decision the move before- just don’t buy unhealthy groceries and don’t go to unhealthy restaurants. If all the options immediately before you when it’s time to eat are healthy you’ll eat something healthy. If you’re sitting in an unhealthy restaurant looking at an unhealthy menu, you’re going to eat something unhealthy. If you have chips in the house, you’ll eat them. If you only have hummus and carrots you’ll eat that instead.

It’s like why I don’t keep beer in the house lol. I have a real fondness for beer but if I don’t have any I won’t drink it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I agree about the limited willpower part. We have a finite amount, and if there's too much pressure we fail in some areas. For myself, that means indulging in comfort food, for others that might mean alcohol, gambling, video games, drugs, etc. Empirically, I am more successful at fasting when I have fewer external pressures.

Will power is also a "muscle" that can be increased to an extent, in my opinion. As an example, I said that I eat better when exercising. I assume that this is because the exercise is good for my brain and thus my mood. I admittedly do not have proof.

Most of my travel is for work, which means networking over lunch and dinner. If someone from Tsinghua or Oxford asks me out for lunch, I am not going to tell him that I'd rather skip lunch to drink a protein shake.

International travel also disrupts the circadian rhythm, which also affects will power.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
An annoying thing about the medical system in the USA is that they widely refuse to predict how much things will cost. The hospital tells you to ask your insurance, and the insurance tells you to ask your hospital.

It's a really annoying source of stress. I f***ing hate it. In case anyone is a right wing trolls, there is no "free market" here. The hospitals and insurance can usually do what they want, you'll have to spend ten hours on hold to argue with them as you get transferred from a to b to c and back to a, and in any case, they fan afford better lawyers than you.

It's sometimes even hard to postdict how much things cost with hindsight. I have no idea how much I paid to have two cysts removed, the cost was broken up into a zillion micro-bills.

For whatever, I go to to Johns Hopkins, which is often rated as the world's very best hospital. A quick Google search reveals that my experience is common to the medical system across the USA.

Last edited:

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
so ez to fall into a spiral of bad habit. im just allowed to do weight training for the first time in 4-5 years, the first month will be atrocious, but i guess the quick gain will make it ezer to get thru the pain. even if i can do shitload of push up of many variations, bench/incline/dumbell will be hard as f as im not strong and build for endurance. i guess i should go rly ez to avoid injuries.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I have purchased an elliptical from Revalue Fitness to have in my home. I discuss my reasoning below.

1) They were affordable and seen to have good reviews online.

2) A lot of internet gym Bros says that going to the gym is easy, "I don't want to hear that you don't have time, if it's a priority, you make time, it only takes 45 minutes three times a week." That is a load of shit. Time is limited, it is the most valuable commodity, further, just going to and from the gym, changing twice, etc takes 45 minutes or more, not including the actual workout.

A lot of those gym Bros have more time, as talking with their shirts off is their primary career.

3) In the past, I have had my best success when I had gyms very close and walking distance to my apartment, and could thus walk there in the morning before breakfast. This saves time, as the transit time was shorter, and I didn't need the extra shower and changing cycle. So now I'll he able to work out immediately after waking up, before breakfast. This will be more efficient.

4) Watching Netflix or other things while ellipticing might be fun.

5) Now that I'll have a cardio machine at home, it will liberate my gym trips for weightlifting, HIIT, and yoga.

6) A home gym is expensive, but heart disease, Alzheimer's, or cancer would be a lot more expensive.

7) I hope to have better will power with respect to food by exercising more often.

Reactions: Wats

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I have purchased an elliptical from Revalue Fitness to have in my home. I discuss my reasoning below.

1) They were affordable and seen to have good reviews online.

2) A lot of internet gym Bros says that going to the gym is easy, "I don't want to hear that you don't have time, if it's a priority, you make time, it only takes 45 minutes three times a week." That is a load of ****. Time is limited, it is the most valuable commodity, further, just going to and from the gym, changing twice, etc takes 45 minutes or more, not including the actual workout.

A lot of those gym Bros have more time, as talking with their shirts off is their primary career.

3) In the past, I have had my best success when I had gyms very close and walking distance to my apartment, and could thus walk there in the morning before breakfast. This saves time, as the transit time was shorter, and I didn't need the extra shower and changing cycle. So now I'll he able to work out immediately after waking up, before breakfast. This will be more efficient.

4) Watching Netflix or other things while ellipticing might be fun.

5) Now that I'll have a cardio machine at home, it will liberate my gym trips for weightlifting, HIIT, and yoga.

6) A home gym is expensive, but heart disease, Alzheimer's, or cancer would be a lot more expensive.

7) I hope to have better will power with respect to food by exercising more often.

Smart purchase in my opinion Champ. I think this will allow you to prioritize your trips to the gym to focus on the training you can't do at home and may give you more energy for the days you do go in order to focus on your weight training/HIIT/Yoga. Right now I am going through a very personal tragedy and getting to the gym just isn't a priority for me the last 2 weeks, but if I had some home equipment I would likely use it and stay active better preparing me to go though the pain I am going through now.

Those who say make it a priority if you really care sometimes ignore the external factors they aren't dealing with in the moment. Sometimes life takes over and it makes it next to impossible. I see guys at the gym 2-3-4 hours a day. I will never be spending that amount of time at the gym for a couple of reasons 1) I have no desire to do that 2) My life is busy everyday as it is and I sometimes don't have enough time to do all the other things I need to take care of.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
so ez to fall into a spiral of bad habit. im just allowed to do weight training for the first time in 4-5 years, the first month will be atrocious, but i guess the quick gain will make it ezer to get thru the pain. even if i can do ****load of push up of many variations, bench/incline/dumbell will be hard as f as im not strong and build for endurance. i guess i should go rly ez to avoid injuries.

I'm in a similar boat, only recently able to really start activity again following surgery. It was all internal shit for me with my nerves and it affects my breathing and a bunch of other stuff so while my body is theoretically able to adapt to this over time, it's important that I go slow even if I know I am capable of more.

It sucks, I am not a patient person. But injuries can set you back even longer so no point in rushing things.

Yesterday I was looking at some old backups and found a picture of me from before all this stuff started when I was working out regularly. That sucked, I was way more muscular and looked pretty good. And now after 4 months of work I am not even close to looking how I did just 3 years ago. It really sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad