Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
175g pain iceland yogurt: 110cal / 8g carbs / 21g protein
63g vector granola: 290cal / 24g carbs / 20g protein

400cal - 32g carbs - 41g protein

vs

oatmeal - 180cal / 30g carbs / 5g protein (I guess it depends on how you make it)
2 scoop whey shake - 180cal / ~0-2g carbs / 44g protein

360 cal - 32g carbs - 49g protein

It's pretty close.
Vector granolas have a shit ton of sugar though, no?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I just despise drinking my calories, but I guess sometimes I have a hard time hitting my macros so it could be a solution. I'm just not sure how ill handle it digestion wise, liquid tends to bloat me up alot.
I find it easier to digest as the blender does alot of the breaking down for you. Though it's important to not just gulp it down as your saliva is still necessary during the digestion process.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Asking for the beginners around here

If your form was shit on the big lifts, would you want someone to tell you and help or just let you figure it out on your own?

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011

If your form was **** on the big lifts, would you want someone to tell you and help or just let you figure it out on your own?

Not a beginner but also not one to personally do what you are implying (give advice to strangers). But, remembering back to when I was a beginner I think I would have appreciated a kind approach and some gentle suggestions to improve my form...I mean who wouldn't?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Not a beginner but also not one to personally do what you are implying (give advice to strangers). But, remembering back to when I was a beginner I think I would have appreciated a kind approach and some gentle suggestions to improve my form...I mean who wouldn't?

The majority of people hate negative feedback.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The majority of people hate negative feedback.

I'd personally appreciate a heads up from someone with experience. Bad form while lifting big weight is an open invitation to potentially serious injury.

One's ego shouldn't enter into it for even a second.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Just ask him if he wants advices on his form. Personally, i see this as free advices you usually pay for, but I have a martial art background and when a higher belt gives you advices it's like a bit of a private class.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ill probably try and approach him next time. Its my 12th year in this gym and hes by far the worst Ive ever seen. Like, I cringe hard when he squats or deadlifts.

Well, he wont injure himself squatting 315 for 5 degrees, but deadlifts yeah.
Help him, just don't be condescending.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Peter Attia did a 7 day water fast as an n=1 experiment and took a zillion blood tests.

#11 - AMA #2: the Nothingburger — results from Peter’s week-long fast between two weeks of nutritional ketosis — and answering questions on all things fasting - Peter Attia

He said that he wanted to be saving money on food (a joke?) but that he wants to understand fasting better. For example, he has absolutely no idea which fasting protocol is best, and he says that prpproba nobody knows, but he'd like to research it later. It is not known how frequent fasts should be, how long they should be, and how that depends on the person.

Blood tests were all weird. Testosterone and insulin crashed to very low levels, some of his thyroid numbers were the worst he has seen, and he quoted lots of different cholesterol numbers that I did not understand .

Some subjective changes:
- sense of calmness and high concentration, for example he noticed that he stopped putting his earphones on
- better sleep, he says that he wishes that he could sleep that way all of the time. In contrast, he has had terrible sleep when doing the fasting-mimicking diet of roughly 700 calories/day.
- no loss of strength during weightlifting. He estimates that he lost no measurable amount of lean tissue, and maybe 6 lbs of fat.
- some laziness for movements, he was sluggish walking, he took more taxis for routes for which he's never taken cabs. His wattage on some "peloton" workout (???) dropped by a lot. He says that relative to his former self he was at least 60-80 watts less capable.
- his chronic pain in one spot went away, and almost went away in another spot. He said that the fast was worth it just for that.

I've never tested my strength to that level of detail during a long fast. This guy was doing squats, etc. He followed exactly the same program as he does when not fasting.

I do get sluggish walking, but I force myself to walk to stimulate gluconeogenesis.

The heightened sense of awareness is incredible, I wish that I could maintain it all of the time lol.

@DramaticGloveSave is enraged by this post, as fasting is the ultimate carnivore diet: calories during fasting come from 100% fatty cuts of human meat ;-)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Peter Attia did a 7 day water fast as an n=1 experiment and took a zillion blood tests.

#11 - AMA #2: the Nothingburger — results from Peter’s week-long fast between two weeks of nutritional ketosis — and answering questions on all things fasting - Peter Attia

He said that he wanted to be saving money on food (a joke?) but that he wants to understand fasting better. For example, he has absolutely no idea which fasting protocol is best, and he says that prpproba nobody knows, but he'd like to research it later. It is not known how frequent fasts should be, how long they should be, and how that depends on the person.

Blood tests were all weird. Testosterone and insulin crashed to very low levels, some of his thyroid numbers were the worst he has seen, and he quoted lots of different cholesterol numbers that I did not understand .

Some subjective changes:
- sense of calmness and high concentration, for example he noticed that he stopped putting his earphones on
- better sleep, he says that he wishes that he could sleep that way all of the time. In contrast, he has had terrible sleep when doing the fasting-mimicking diet of roughly 700 calories/day.
- no loss of strength during weightlifting. He estimates that he lost no measurable amount of lean tissue, and maybe 6 lbs of fat.
- some laziness for movements, he was sluggish walking, he took more taxis for routes for which he's never taken cabs. His wattage on some "peloton" workout (???) dropped by a lot. He says that relative to his former self he was at least 60-80 watts less capable.
- his chronic pain in one spot went away, and almost went away in another spot. He said that the fast was worth it just for that.

I've never tested my strength to that level of detail during a long fast. This guy was doing squats, etc. He followed exactly the same program as he does when not fasting.

I do get sluggish walking, but I force myself to walk to stimulate gluconeogenesis.

The heightened sense of awareness is incredible, I wish that I could maintain it all of the time lol.

@DramaticGloveSave is enraged by this post, as fasting is the ultimate carnivore diet: calories during fasting come from 100% fatty cuts of human meat ;-)
lol I actually have seen some folks have great results from fasting. I think there are a few different ways to make it work though. This is purely anecdotal, but recently due to my schedule I've essentially been having 2 massive eating sessions a day- one in the morning and one in the evening. In a way I'm doing two mini fasts a day, and as a result I've seen some loss in body fat- despite being sure my overall calories are the same. Just an accidental finding that perhaps is just working for me for who knows why. Only downside is my gut protrudes after meals just due to the pure amount of food I've stuffed down despite being lean. Again, purely anecdotal, but something I've noticed.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
lol I actually have seen some folks have great results from fasting. I think there are a few different ways to make it work though. This is purely anecdotal, but recently due to my schedule I've essentially been having 2 massive eating sessions a day- one in the morning and one in the evening. In a way I'm doing two mini fasts a day, and as a result I've seen some loss in body fat- despite being sure my overall calories are the same. Just an accidental finding that perhaps is just working for me for who knows why. Only downside is my gut protrudes after meals just due to the pure amount of food I've stuffed down despite being lean. Again, purely anecdotal, but something I've noticed.

How is your concentration at work in the afternoon?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How do you know if you're eating the exact same amount though? How are you measuring that? You sure theres absolutely no changes?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
How do you know if you're eating the exact same amount though? How are you measuring that? You sure theres absolutely no changes?
I’m eating the exact same meals, I’m just eating them in two sessions. Before I’d have my smoothie in the morning, a sandwich for lunch early afternoon, a protein shake post workout later afternoon, and then dinner in the evening. All I’ve really changed is I’m eating my sandwich while I drink my smoothie in the morning and eating dinner right when I get home from the gym.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm actually on the 4th day of a water+tea+coffee fast. Though I cheated and hat two lattes, so it is 400 calories over 4 days.

I gained like 20 lbs since my surgery, due to not being allowed to exercise for six weeks after the surgery, and having a lot of travel which causes jet lag, abd also I like to eat when traveling. I'd like to lose it, to fit into my old clothes, to feel better, etc.

I am following a standard trajectory. The first few days were tiring and low energy. Now it's day 4 and I'm sleeping better and have better concentration, by tomorrow I'll be euphoric, lol.

I can confirm that sex drive drops during a fast.

In the long run, I absolutely need to learn better eating habits while traveling. I'll be in Italy from May 24th - June 2nd, I am not sure how much I should gorge, lol. After that, I don't have any international trips for a while.

The hardest part of fasting for me is the variable willpower, and the fact that it is anti social.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

If your form was **** on the big lifts, would you want someone to tell you and help or just let you figure it out on your own?

Depends of who you're talking about and the relation you have with the guy.

If you don't know him, to cold approach him and fix his form, he might actually not like it.
If you already had some kind of contact with him, feel free to do so.

Everything depends of what you consider shit form. I know for a fact I had been talking with some huge guy in my gym and I actually asked him about his squat shoes. We talked a few minutes and I was doing deadlifts. He ended up telling me to try to deadlift without my shoes on. Best advice anyone has given me. To this day we're actually pretty cool with one another and chat a bit everytime we come across in the gym.

I guess it's all about who you're talking to and how you approach him.

I think if you cold approach some 20-23 years old douchebag with a cap on and chains around his neck, he might give you some attitude.
If you cold approach someone who's in his early 30's and looks like he's working as hard as he can, I think he'll take any sound advice to heart.

Also, it's all about you approach the guy. If you just come up and say "Man... your form SUCKS!". He'll probably get annoyed. If you just approach him by suggesting something and bringing one tangible fix to his technique, which he can try right away, I think he'll be more opened to any subsequent suggestions you have on his form.

Reactions: DAChampion

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm actually on the 4th day of a water+tea+coffee fast. Though I cheated and hat two lattes, so it is 400 calories over 4 days.

I gained like 20 lbs since my surgery, due to not being allowed to exercise for six weeks after the surgery, and having a lot of travel which causes jet lag, abd also I like to eat when traveling. I'd like to lose it, to fit into my old clothes, to feel better, etc.

I am following a standard trajectory. The first few days were tiring and low energy. Now it's day 4 and I'm sleeping better and have better concentration, by tomorrow I'll be euphoric, lol.

I can confirm that sex drive drops during a fast.

In the long run, I absolutely need to learn better eating habits while traveling. I'll be in Italy from May 24th - June 2nd, I am not sure how much I should gorge, lol. After that, I don't have any international trips for a while.

The hardest part of fasting for me is the variable willpower, and the fact that it is anti social.
I truly believe the best and most effective way to lose weight is committing to a lifestyle change. Fasting as you are is not far removed from the old "crash diet"- and it'll likely lead to binge eating in the future. It'll be effective in the short term as you aren't eating, but not something I'd do unless you are trying to fit in a suit for a wedding or something. Not eating is not healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad