OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Carbon steel. You should be able to find one in a Chinatown. Easy to season.

How do you season it? I tried to season a carbon steel pan (a de buyer clone) and that did not work. Looking at the carbon steel subreddit like, half the posts are people asking why their seasoning didn't work.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How do you season it? I tried to season a carbon steel pan (a de buyer clone) and that did not work. Looking at the carbon steel subreddit like, half the posts are people asking why their seasoning didn't work.

Jabroni...

Its as easy as washing whatever the factory put on the pan, burning oil in it, drying it up with a rag, then cooking with it...

Which of those steps confused you ?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Jabroni...

Its as easy as washing whatever the factory put on the pan, burning oil in it, drying it up with a rag, then cooking with it...

Which of those steps confused you ?

The part where I do all those things and my food still sticks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The part where I do all those things and my food still sticks.
Food will stick for a while for sure, after a few weeks of use though, its gonna be perfecto. Also do you make sure the pan is pre-heated ? I hope so.

Make sure you don't scrub it with anything too tough too, because youll be taking off the oil from the pan.

Maybe you left on a bit too much oil too.

Reactions: Tighthead

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Food will stick for a while for sure, after a few weeks of use though, its gonna be perfecto. Also do you make sure the pan is pre-heated ? I hope so.

Yes. However, I'm a stainless steel ubermensch from now on. Except for perhaps woks.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I got a decent thin cast iron wok from Superstore/Loblaws that worked well but was heavy.

Generally easy to season though, and cooking at high heat helps with the non stick factor.

There's a good asian market here that sells the real McCoy so I think I'll pick one up.

Reactions: Tighthead

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I just did my mid-cut 3-site body fat measurement, and here are the results.

This morning I weighed in at 91.7kg (down from 94.1), My body fat percentage is down from 22% to 17.72%. My lean body mass is up from 74.4kg to 75.4kg.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10....vaxmC0Jik8H3OkpMia845X22YGmbmcIuq2MjoNQRjNqY&

Excellent new study that further shows us what we already know: The more plant based foods you eat instead of animal based foods, the less likely you are to die.

From the article itself:
Higher adherence to a healthy plant‐based diet index was associated with a 19% and 11% lower risk of cardiovascular disease mortality and all‐cause mortality, respectively, but not incident cardiovascular disease (P<0.05 for trend). No associations were observed between the less healthy plant‐based diet index and the outcomes.

News Flash: Eating healthy reduces health problems!

Note that they didn't include any data for a healthy non-plant based diet.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
From the article itself:

Conclusions

Diets higher in plant foods and lower in animal foods were associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in a general population.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
From the article itself:

yeah but... don't eat bacon you might not survive the day!!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Conclusions

Diets higher in plant foods and lower in animal foods were associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in a general population.

Having a plant-based diet can be healthy, we agree. I don't think anybody here disagrees.

The fact that the unhealthy plant diet shows no association over the outcome compared to the general population shows it's not just about eating less meat.

I wish they included people which have a regular consumption of meat but otherwise eat healthier than the general population. Then your point would have more strength.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Having a plant-based diet can be healthy, we agree. I don't think anybody here disagrees.

The fact that the unhealthy plant diet shows no association over the outcome compared to the general population shows it's not just about eating less meat.

I wish they included people which have a regular consumption of meat but otherwise eat healthier than the general population. Then your point would have more strength.

Yeah, but then they wouldn't get the result that they wanted.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad