OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So basically one wants to avoid the catalyzation of testosterone into DHT, is that right? Doesn't the simultaneous production of glucagon from dietary protein counteract to some degree the DHT?

DHT might very well be bad for the prostate. But it's good in other places, and 5ar does many things in the body that have nothing to do with DHT.

Do you mean glucagon and insulin? I'm not sure.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
DHT might very well be bad for the prostate. But it's good in other places, and 5ar does many things in the body that have nothing to do with DHT.

Do you mean glucagon and insulin? I'm not sure.

Yes, that's basically where I was going. I know these interactions are complicated and not necessarily consistent from person to person.

Thanks for your tutelage! I hope you fully recovered from your misadventures. :)

Reactions: DAChampion

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Creatine shouldn't do that, which brand are you taking?
Are you taking as part of a preworkout mix? That would make more sense.
It’s by NowSports- basically just the cheapest one as I figured they are all the same stuff. The first 5 days it says to take 2 teaspoons, twice daily, then 2 teaspoons once daily then after. I just finished the first 5 days a couple of days ago so maybe once I get steady into the once a day dosage it’ll go away.

Is there a time where it’s more effective to take it? Before workout? After workout?

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
About PSA, be careful with measuring yourself by the guideline. My brother had normal scores and then was diagnosed with stage 4. Better to get regular testing and find your own baseline. If there is a jump in your baseline, then get checked. This is esp important if you're taking test.

As for prostatitis, vitamin D worked for me.

We habs fans have to stick together. Cheers!

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
About PSA, be careful with measuring yourself by the guideline. My brother had normal scores and then was diagnosed with stage 4. Better to get regular testing and find your own baseline. If there is a jump in your baseline, then get checked. This is esp important if you're taking test.

As for prostatitis, vitamin D worked for me.

We habs fans have to stick together. Cheers!

What dosage of vitamin D are you taking, and is it a daily regimen or "as needed"?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Been Squatting "heavy-ish" for the first time since my lower back injury this spring. I'm essentially slowly working my way up to a top set on Legs day. Did 295lbs x 4 yesterday with a good rep or two in the tank. I felt like going higher but decided not to, since I want to keep it safe for the first few weeks.

Next week I'll be going for a safe 305 x 3. Will try to keep that progression going till I hit 315 pounds for a solid 4 or 5 reps. I don't think I'll ever rep a double-bodyweight squat naturally with my genetics (I'm 180-183 pounds right now depending on the day). But I definitely can hit it for a good rep when I fulfill my potential.

Honestly, with a 275 pounds bench and a 360 pounds squat, being between 180 and 190 pounds, I'll be a happy camper... Until I actually hit those numbers and get hungry for more.

On another note... Anybody tried or know someone who tried EMOMs on pullups/chinups? What kind of success/progression did you/those you know achieved doing it?

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im going for a 2x5 at 460 right now on squats, which should put me in the 520 range if youd believe the 1rm formula. Exciting times. Maybe Ill hit 600 on the squat before 600 on deadlift :laugh:

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
What dosage of vitamin D are you taking, and is it a daily regimen or "as needed"?

I try to take 2000 IU per day

A little more, if things act up (but I think 4000 IU is recommended max)

May be different for you. I don't get a lot of sun I'm not a big traveller and when I do, I stay in the shade.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Men with increased testosterone use have a lower risk of prostate cancer, which goes against traditional beliefs.
Challenging beliefs of testosterone therapy and prostate cancer

Water-only fasts of at least six days duration, if I understood this paper correctly, found to be beneficial for fatty liver disease.
Effects of Periodic Fasting on Fatty Liver Index—A Prospective Observational Study

My understanding is that test doesn't cause or trigger prostate cancer - true - but it does enlarge the prostate. So, if you already have a tumour there (god forbid) it gets bigger too and that's the concern.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I try to take 2000 IU per day

A little more, if things act up (but I think 4000 IU is recommended max)

May be different for you. I don't get a lot of sun I'm not a big traveller and when I do, I stay in the shade.

You need to be careful with the vitamins that aren't water soluble. They aren't excreted from the system as easily as water soluble ones and can eventually cause a toxicity.

Reactions: Shabs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ordering test e right now TY for this I found the solution :sarcasm:

source.gif

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
My understanding is that test doesn't cause or trigger prostate cancer - true - but it does enlarge the prostate. So, if you already have a tumour there (god forbid) it gets bigger too and that's the concern.

The PSA test does not enlarge the prostate, it is simply a blood test to measure the PSA protein in blood. Higher the value, higher the likelihood of something wrong.

About finasteride, I remember that study where they noticed a small percentage of the finasteride arm had a greater risk of lethal prostate cancer despite a huge decrease in prostate cancer risk overall in the rest, something like 20-25%. But this was later debunked, follow up of these patients did not see any rise in letality compared to placebo. At the time, the suggestion was that because the prostate was shrinked by finasteride, lethal cancer was easier to detect compared to someone on placebo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad