Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because by 14 there's gonna be a plethora of subjective BPA. There's not gonna be a clear obvious BPA there (I haven't seen any mocks where Lindstrom falls out of the top 8 and only 1 or so where Catton does). Frankly, I'd prefer not to go Catton because I don't want to go and get yet another undersized forward. Currently, only Musty, Bysted and Edstrom are our only prospects over 6 feet (and that includes Macklin). Eklund, Bordeleau, Gush, Zetterlund, Smith are all 5'11 and under. It's not a huge deal, just a preference.
I think we can officially stop considering Bordeleau and Gushchin prospects. They're not serious considerations for our future lineup. Zetterlund is not undersized.

If Catton turns out to be really good maybe we can trade Eklund for a defenseman. Or Catton for a defenseman. I just disagree with the idea that we need to build through the draft. The point of the draft is to maximize value accumulation then use that pool of value to fill specific roles on your NHL roster.

Reactions: spintops

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think we can officially stop considering Bordeleau and Gushchin prospects. They're not serious considerations for our future lineup. Zetterlund is not undersized.

If Catton turns out to be really good maybe we can trade Eklund for a defenseman. Or Catton for a defenseman. I just disagree with the idea that we need to build through the draft. The point of the draft is to maximize value accumulation then use that pool of value to fill specific roles on your NHL roster.
Then what about 14 for David Jiricek?

This is a make it or break it season for both TB and DG, but they both just turned 22. There's a lot of highly drafted players still toiling in the minors at 22.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Then what about 14 for David Jiricek?

This is a make it or break it season for both TB and DG, but they both just turned 22. There's a lot of highly drafted players still toiling in the minors at 22.
Sure but why would Columbus do that?

Agree that it's a make or break year for Bords and Gush but highly drafted players still in the minors at 22 are almost always busts. If one of them somehow beats the odds, great, he's a trade chip.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
In order of preference for what we do with #14:

1. Use #33 to trade up for Buium or Dickinson (or Levshunov if he somehow falls)
2. Use #14 to trade up for Yakemchuk (or Silayev/Parekh if they fall past 10, which is unlikely but never say never)
3. Stay at #14 and pick the BPA, which I think is likely to be RW Brandsegg-Nygard
4. Reach for Jiricek or some other that belongs in the 20’s
Do you think Emery counts as part of category 4? I don't know that his rise is justified but seeing him at 17 for Wheeler makes him at least look like less of a reach than I'd previously thought. But this could just be Wheeler swallowing the helium.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I feel like Bordeleau's end of season shows he has a chance at being a bottom 6 NHLer
I'm just always wary of reading into those end of season games for a team playing out the string. We saw how hard Jacob Peterson crashed this year after a productive post-deadline stint last season. Or even Bordeleau himself 2 years ago.

Reactions: Sendhelplease

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Do you think Emery counts as part of category 4? I don't know that his rise is justified but seeing him at 17 for Wheeler makes him at least look like less of a reach than I'd previously thought. But this could just be Wheeler swallowing the helium.
I do. Like I said, I really like the player, but 14 is too high.

Reactions: timorous me

OversKy

Oct 12, 2023
I feel like Bordeleau's end of season shows he has a chance at being a bottom 6 NHLer
I think his upside is a Labanc type 3rd line winger. Streaky and poor defensively but a decent amount of skill. Next season is likely make or break with the org.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
let's say all the defense we want have been taken at 14, and MBN, Sennecke, Jiricek, etc are still on the board. Would you trade down to 16/17 for an extra late 2nd or early 3rd?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
let's say all the defense we want have been taken at 14, and MBN, Sennecke, Jiricek, etc are still on the board. Would you trade down to 16/17 for an extra late 2nd or early 3rd?

I’d probably take Sennecke but would be happy with MBN as well. It wouldn’t be shocking if one or two teams went off the board and reached for a player. A Catton or Yakemchuk could realistically fall to us if that happens

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Detroit wanted to give us a 2nd for moving down one spot, obviously I’d do it (I like Sennecke and MBN about equally, though they’re very different styles of player). But no further—I think the tier ends at 15 (or 14 if you don’t include Eiserman… which I might not).

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
while i like Jiricek, the last time we got a D who dropped due to knee issues early never made it.

I think i want to trade up for Yakemchuk (or a different D) or down a few spots for Parascak
Yeah, and Jeremy's legs were never ever the same. injury after injury. it was such a shame because I saw such HUGE potential in him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Sure but why would Columbus do that?

Agree that it's a make or break year for Bords and Gush but highly drafted players still in the minors at 22 are almost always busts. If one of them somehow beats the odds, great, he's a trade chip.
Not sure if the strife between the player and the organization has been resolved.

Also, I look at someone like Mav Bouque in Dallas. He looked like he was struggling until this year when he put it all together in the A. Sometimes it takes a moment to click and I still hold hope that both can be viable pieces (whether as players for us or, as you mentioned, trade chips). Both have no excuses anymore.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm just always wary of reading into those end of season games for a team playing out the string. We saw how hard Jacob Peterson crashed this year after a productive post-deadline stint last season. Or even Bordeleau himself 2 years ago.
I agree for the most part, but at this point Bords is still trying to prove himself to Grier (who didn't draft him) so regardless of how the season is going, him showing improvement from the last call-up more important than anything. If he doesn't have a strong camp or at least show he can survive in the NHL early in the season then I imagine Grier will try and move him.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Not sure who will be BPA at 14, but I'm guessing it'll be a forward- Helenius, Catton, Nyggard, Senecke, Eiserman seem like the most likely guys. If it's Yakemchuk, Parekh, or Dickinson and you don't think they're a bust, that seems like the guy.

That said, I'd move 33, 42, and something else to sneak up and grab Buium. He looks like a complete d-man, but also has high-end skill. He may be an elite d-man, but as a 2-4 PMD he'd also solve a massive hole. I anticipate Ferraro and Granlund will go for some assets at the deadline, so even if you spend all the draft capital you have this year to get Celebrini and Buium, you're going to be able to re-load plenty in the 2025 draft.

Our long-term assets are Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Musty, Zetterlund, Mukh, and hopefully one each of Edstrom/Bystedt, and Bords/Bultannen/Lund/Guschin/Graf can fill third line/middle six roles. Top two centers and left wings, a middle six RW, and maybe a #4-man dman, and the third line are covered. I also think we'll add a vet top 6 forward this summer, but not sure how long-term of solution that will be.

Given this, if there's an opportunity to go grab a guy you're confident is a long-term solution at D, I think that is well worth it. I'd be content with about any of the top 15, but I'd prefer it not be Jiricek, Connolly, or Eiserman.

Given something like Celebrini, Brandsegg-Nygard/Eiserman, Elick, and Hutson (a good outcome in my eyes) or Celebrini and Buium/Dickinson, I think I'd rather have the later. It's a harder decision if one of the six d-men fall. Impossible to know.

Things are so much more exciting now!

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I’d probably take Sennecke but would be happy with MBN as well. It wouldn’t be shocking if one or two teams went off the board and reached for a player. A Catton or Yakemchuk could realistically fall to us if that happens
oh how I dream.

Calgary is certainly going to go for Tij Iginla. Buffalo doesn't need another Dman so maybe they go forward.

Someone might reach for Cole Eiserman. He was ranked 2 for so long...but his red flags are neon red.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Not sure who will be BPA at 14, but I'm guessing it'll be a forward- Helenius, Catton, Nyggard, Senecke, Eiserman seem like the most likely guys. If it's Yakemchuk, Parekh, or Dickinson and you don't think they're a bust, that seems like the guy.

That said, I'd move 33, 42, and something else to sneak up and grab Buium. He looks like a complete d-man, but also has high-end skill. He may be an elite d-man, but as a 2-4 PMD he'd also solve a massive hole. I anticipate Ferraro and Granlund will go for some assets at the deadline, so even if you spend all the draft capital you have this year to get Celebrini and Buium, you're going to be able to re-load plenty in the 2025 draft.

Our long-term assets are Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Musty, Zetterlund, Mukh, and hopefully one each of Edstrom/Bystedt, and Bords/Bultannen/Lund/Guschin/Graf can fill third line/middle six roles. Top two centers and left wings, a middle six RW, and maybe a #4-man dman, and the third line are covered. I also think we'll add a vet top 6 forward this summer, but not sure how long-term of solution that will be.

Given this, if there's an opportunity to go grab a guy you're confident is a long-term solution at D, I think that is well worth it. I'd be content with about any of the top 15, but I'd prefer it not be Jiricek, Connolly, or Eiserman.

Given something like Celebrini, Brandsegg-Nygard/Eiserman, Elick, and Hutson (a good outcome in my eyes) or Celebrini and Buium/Dickinson, I think I'd rather have the later. It's a harder decision if one of the six d-men fall. Impossible to know.

Things are so much more exciting now!
I’m not sure I’d give up that much but I do wonder how far up they can move by packaging 14,33 and 42.

Last edited:

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
(I haven't seen any mocks where Lindstrom falls out of the top 8 and only 1 or so where Catton does)
If he falls, it will be because of his medicals. That will happen fast after the combine, if it does.

Of course that would raise the question if he is even worth 14 overall if it is that bad.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not sure if the strife between the player and the organization has been resolved.

Also, I look at someone like Mav Bouque in Dallas. He looked like he was struggling until this year when he put it all together in the A. Sometimes it takes a moment to click and I still hold hope that both can be viable pieces (whether as players for us or, as you mentioned, trade chips). Both have no excuses anymore.
And what has Bourque done in the NHL? Nothing. Entirely possible he's a bust. Probably the most likely outcome at this point tbh.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I'm on team BPA + more picks the better.

You can get top four D via trades when the window is right. VGK traded for Pietrangelo, Avs traded for Toews(oof)/Girard, Bolts traded for Sergachev/McDonagh.

Reactions: Shark Finn

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I’m not sure I’d give up that much but I do wonder how far up they can move by packaging 14,33 and 42.

We traded 11 for 27, 34, and 45, and I thought we did pretty well. I liked Mateychuk and Nazar, but thought we got good value. Given that, 14, 33, 42 should be decently close to 6 to 8. Maybe it requires 14+42 to 10/11 and 10/11+33 gets you 6-8. Of course you need a willing dance partner. Someone who wants a big forward if Iginla and Lindstrom are off the board maybe? At that point do they just got Sennecke rather than risking dropping to 14 and risking 5'11 Eiserman as BPA?

What would it take for one of the 6 D to fall to us? Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke, and Helenius all getting drafted top 13? The first four seem quite likely, two of the next four seem quite likely as well. Not sure about all eight, and at point if they did, I would wonder if someone passed on the sixth dman for a reason.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
FWIW Sabres fans on the main board seem amenable to 14+Sturm for 11. If do that if Yakemchuk (or any of the D) were there and then just re-sign Carpenter. I really like Sturm and I love how competitive he is, but if we can use him to get our guy I’m all for it.

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
We traded 11 for 27, 34, and 45, and I thought we did pretty well. I liked Mateychuk and Nazar, but thought we got good value. Given that, 14, 33, 42 should be decently close to 6 to 8. Maybe it requires 14+42 to 10/11 and 10/11+33 gets you 6-8. Of course you need a willing dance partner. Someone who wants a big forward if Iginla and Lindstrom are off the board maybe? At that point do they just got Sennecke rather than risking dropping to 14 and risking 5'11 Eiserman as BPA?

What would it take for one of the 6 D to fall to us? Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke, and Helenius all getting drafted top 13? The first four seem quite likely, two of the next four seem quite likely as well. Not sure about all eight, and at point if they did, I would wonder if someone passed on the sixth dman for a reason.
I don't see any of the 6 Dmen falling past the 10th pick, while the forwards will drop for sure. NHL teams value big Dmen over small undersized forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad