OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gonna start a new program real soon. Gonna be fun. Im going back to classic powerlifting with board presses and everything.

My target is to deadlift 615x3 in 16 weeks, nothing else nothing more. Maintenance on squats and bench.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I remember quite a few people asking about fasting.
Here's a video about it:

@DAChampion agree with the presented facts?

It seems mostly accurate, and I suppose this guy might be good to reach a broad audience, but damn he comes off like a douchebro.

He stresses the 16-hour fasts but ultimately it may turn out that fasts of 3,5, or 7 days are a lot more beneficial, once the research comes in.

It's good of him to say that the muscle breakdown is low. He says 20 grams a day during a long fast BUT that is not necessarily muscle. Those 20 grams are measured from the quantity of protein waste products in urine, which is a very good measure, but we don't know which part of the body it comes from. It could come from loose skin bring catabolized. It could come from the blood vessels that feed fat tissue, as there is some amount of protein associated with fat cells. It's not clear.

But really the video is a decent introduction and covers a lot of territory in twelve minutes.

It's also worth knowing that the 10% drop in metabolism in the first few days of fasting is approximately equal to the thermogenic effect of food.

I'm actually doing a lot of fasting lately to lose my travel-related + post-surgical weight gain. I have maybe 5 more pounds to lose that I might drop by mid October, worst case scenario. I then want to throw out half my clothes, take a lot if the rest to the tailor, and start adding strength.

In my whole life I've never succeeded in adding a lot of strength. There's often been issues like shin splints, or various hernias. I have no injuries now. I want to see what I can do. I'll come ask you guys for programmatic help in about a month.

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I have lost 7 pounds with cardio 3x, eating less and intermittent fast on Saturday

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On my part, Im gaining weight back. I left Montreal on the 22 and I was about 230 pounds with the roundest muscle belly I ever had, came back on the 6th tipping the scale at 211. Flat as hell, weight mostly in my belly. Crazy what not lifting does to your body. Note that I was eating that bad either, a pound of poke a day, with rice, eggs in the morning, pineapples, rambutan, lilikois and bananas. I ate fast good once and it was a loco moco, which is pretty much the hard gainers dream.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
On my part, Im gaining weight back. I left Montreal on the 22 and I was about 230 pounds with the roundest muscle belly I ever had, came back on the 6th tipping the scale at 211. Flat as hell, weight mostly in my belly. Crazy what not lifting does to your body. Note that I was eating that bad either, a pound of poke a day, with rice, eggs in the morning, pineapples, rambutan, lilikois and bananas. I ate fast good once and it was a loco moco, which is pretty much the hard gainers dream.

If you lost 19 lbs in 14 days, it's mostly water.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’ve always noticed I lose a lot of water weight when I vacation. At home doing my regular routine I pound water through the day where as when I’m on vacation I don’t- and a lot of my drinks are either caffeine or alcohol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you lost 19 lbs in 14 days, it's mostly water.

If it was I wouldnt look as flat and fat as I did. Its like I never trained a day in my life when I came back. My knee sleeves that were a size too small are suddenly slipping off, my Tshirts are all loose around my arms and shoulders and my belt has gained a hole.

I think its mostly due to me being what youf call a highly trained individual? Rules dont apply to me it seems.

I looked like a regular skinny fat guy with overly large tities.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If it was I wouldnt look as flat and fat as I did. Its like I never trained a day in my life when I came back. My knee sleeves that were a size too small are suddenly slipping off, my Tshirts are all loose around my arms and shoulders and my belt has gained a hole.

I think its mostly due to me being what youf call a highly trained individual? Rules dont apply to me it seems.

I looked like a regular skinny fat guy with overly large tities.

If you actually lost 19 lbs of muscle, it should take you over a year to regain the mass.

Note that it's likely water stored in your muscle cells.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Probably just lost those pump gains. They are the first to go, but quickest to return- and they are the most impactful in terms of pure aesthetics.

Reactions: HBDay

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I dont know what happened but it sucks. Im back at 221 now though. Climbing back up half a pound a day.
The weight I’d guess is water weight. The aesthetics is the loss of those pump gains. Drink lots of fluids and go do some hypertrophy focused workouts and you’ll be back to where you were in no time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm watching Iron Cowboy on Netflix.

The guy ran 50 Ironman triathlons in 50 states in 50 days, or anyway he's trying to I'm not done with the documentary.

Bigger psycho than anybody I know.

Reactions: Edgy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It seems mostly accurate, and I suppose this guy might be good to reach a broad audience, but damn he comes off like a *****ebro.

He stresses the 16-hour fasts but ultimately it may turn out that fasts of 3,5, or 7 days are a lot more beneficial, once the research comes in.

It's good of him to say that the muscle breakdown is low. He says 20 grams a day during a long fast BUT that is not necessarily muscle. Those 20 grams are measured from the quantity of protein waste products in urine, which is a very good measure, but we don't know which part of the body it comes from. It could come from loose skin bring catabolized. It could come from the blood vessels that feed fat tissue, as there is some amount of protein associated with fat cells. It's not clear.

But really the video is a decent introduction and covers a lot of territory in twelve minutes.

It's also worth knowing that the 10% drop in metabolism in the first few days of fasting is approximately equal to the thermogenic effect of food.

I'm actually doing a lot of fasting lately to lose my travel-related + post-surgical weight gain. I have maybe 5 more pounds to lose that I might drop by mid October, worst case scenario. I then want to throw out half my clothes, take a lot if the rest to the tailor, and start adding strength.

In my whole life I've never succeeded in adding a lot of strength. There's often been issues like shin splints, or various hernias. I have no injuries now. I want to see what I can do. I'll come ask you guys for programmatic help in about a month.

How much travel weight did you want to lose and just how much fasting are you doing?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How much travel weight did you want to lose and just how much fasting are you doing?

15-20 lbs.

Did 3 days, 5 days, 3 days, recently, will try to do three more days if fasting this week, then maybe 3-5 days in mid October, then I'll take a break and shift gears.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
15-20 lbs.

Did 3 days, 5 days, 3 days, recently, will try to do three more days if fasting this week, then maybe 3-5 days in mid October, then I'll take a break and shift gears.
Interesting. I have excess fat from the summer, and I might be moving to Jeddah within a month for new opportunity. I want to lose this quickly and start on right foot.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Interesting. I have excess fat from the summer, and I might be moving to Jeddah within a month for new opportunity. I want to lose this quickly and start on right foot.
KSA, brutal! Good luck with that. Bright side, you'll save money because there's f*** all to do over there.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
KSA, brutal! Good luck with that. Bright side, you'll save money because there's **** all to do over there.
Ya..would be going there for the money and career. That said, from asking around, Jeddah is the most liberal place and apparently there's a very active underground scene...just need to know the right people.
Anyways, I'm usually a work-home type of guy during the week and go balls out on weekends, I might just do that by going to Dubai or Beirut to join friends.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ya..would be going there for the money and career. That said, from asking around, Jeddah is the most liberal place and apparently there's a very active underground scene...just need to know the right people.
Anyways, I'm usually a work-home type of guy during the week and go balls out on weekends, I might just do that by going to Dubai or Beirut to join friends.
Gonna be craycray with yo boy Rocco in Dubai

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I tell ya, i vouch for the "fasting"...I have seen 3 people with my own eyes shed major weight by simply stop eating at 8pm at night and start eating again at 12 noon..7 days a week.....that's all they have done(no exercising nothing)...one dropped 40 lbs so far...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just heard an interview by a marathon runner vaulting the merits of a TrueForm treadmill.

Anyone have experience with this type of equipment?

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I finished Iron Cowboy. The guy actually did run 50 ironmen in 50 days (in 50 states), though some of them were done indoors and on equipment due to bad weather, and one of the marathons was run on an elliptical as he had an injury.

An iron Man triathlon is a 3.86 km swim, a 180.25 km bike ride, and a 42.20 km run.

Damn, what an incredible achievement. His times were actually dropping during the 50 days because he was somehow getting fitter faster than the injuries were accumulating. One time he had, I think, less than an hour's sleep between two events, because he was falling behind schedule. He had a very hard time on the last swim because his body fat was down to 4%, so he had a hard time swimming in cold water. I think that he took a break, ate some food, and went back in the water.

During the 50 days, he used transfusions of saline to quickly restore the electrolytes. That drew criticism on social media, people said that he was doping, and thus his achievement did not count. Apparently you're supposed to take saline after an Ironman but not before, and after his event, a world governing body changed the rules to validate situations like his.

Reactions: Edgy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I finished Iron Cowboy. The guy actually did run 50 ironmen in 50 days (in 50 states), though some of them were done indoors and on equipment due to bad weather, and one of the marathons was run on an elliptical as he had an injury.

An iron Man triathlon is a 3.86 km swim, a 180.25 km bike ride, and a 42.20 km run.

Damn, what an incredible achievement. His times were actually dropping during the 50 days because he was somehow getting fitter faster than the injuries were accumulating. One time he had, I think, less than an hour's sleep between two events, because he was falling behind schedule. He had a very hard time on the last swim because his body fat was down to 4%, so he had a hard time swimming in cold water. I think that he took a break, ate some food, and went back in the water.

During the 50 days, he used transfusions of saline to quickly restore the electrolytes. That drew criticism on social media, people said that he was doping, and thus his achievement did not count. Apparently you're supposed to take saline after an Ironman but not before, and after his event, a world governing body changed the rules to validate situations like his.

That is really impressive. Thanks for sharing.

The guy’s self deprivation and willingness to sacrifice on top of his incredible abilities make it sound like he could have been a navy seal. I didn’t look up his profile but am intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad