OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, but then they wouldn't get the result that they wanted.
They weren’t looking at vegans vs meat eaters. They looked at lots of people eating a sliding scale of foods. They broke foods down to meat foods, fish foods, animal byproduct foods, dairy, unhealthy plant foods, and healthy plant foods. They also factored in many other risk factors such as smoking, alcohol consumption, BMI, and race/socio economic stats among other things. They found that the more healthy plant foods eaten the better.

Also there is nothing to suggest within the authors and their sources of funding that there was any bias in regards to this study:
Author Contributions

Dr Kim wrote the manuscript and analyzed the data; Drs Kim and Rebholz designed the study; Drs Caulfield, Garcia‐Larsen, Steffen, and Coresh contributed important intellectual content during drafting or revising the manuscript. Dr Rebholz was involved in all aspects of the study from analyses to writing. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Sources of Funding

The ARIC (Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities) study was supported by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services (HHSN268201700001I, HHSN268201700002I, HHSN268201700003I, HHSN268201700004I, and HHSN268201700005I). Dr Kim was supported by the Department of International Health Tuition Scholarships, Bacon Chow Endowed Award, Harry D. Kruse Fellowship, and Harry J. Prebluda Fellowship from the Program in Human Nutrition in the Department of International Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr Rebholz was supported by a Mentored Research Scientist Development Award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (K01 DK107782) and a grant from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (R21 HL143089). The funding agencies had no role in study design, data collection, analysis, drafting of the manuscript, and the decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
Disclosures

None.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, Ive been watching The Kominsky method this week and I have a new irrational fear. There's a running joke about enlarged prostate and trouble with urination and I don't want that to happen.

How do I stop this from happening ? I have plenty of time to slow down the process (+/- 40 years)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So, Ive been watching The Kominsky method this week and I have a new irrational fear. There's a running joke about enlarged prostate and trouble with urination and I don't want that to happen.

How do I stop this from happening ? I have plenty of time to slow down the process (+/- 40 years)

Eat more plants, prolly.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017

Vitamin D. No joke.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was thinking wear less pants but ok

Don't let your dreams be dreams.

1200px-Donald_Duck.svg.png

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’ve started taking creatine as part of my winter bulking, but I keep reading conflicting things about it. So far definitely like the results aesthetically, but it really is giving me a nervous like feeling. I drink a ton of coffee and use nicotine so could just be in combo with those things, but among other things I’m having issues falling asleep. Anyone have similar reactions?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I’ve started taking creatine as part of my winter bulking, but I keep reading conflicting things about it. So far definitely like the results aesthetically, but it really is giving me a nervous like feeling. I drink a ton of coffee and use nicotine so could just be in combo with those things, but among other things I’m having issues falling asleep. Anyone have similar reactions?

Creatine has never done anything for me.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

What ? Monohydrate ? Monohydrate shouldnt give you a nervous like feeling lol.

Creatine has never done anything for me.

Same. I think meat eaters or people who eat a lot of meat ( Like I) don't benefit at all from it.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

First of all, stop eating people.

Reactions: Edgy and Mrb1p

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What ? Monohydrate ? Monohydrate shouldnt give you a nervous like feeling lol.

Same. I think meat eaters or people who eat a lot of meat ( Like I) don't benefit at all from it.
It’s more like my muscles are twitching on their own lol

I also switched up my routine back to a heavier, strength focus so could be that as well.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

I’ve had an inflamed or infected prostate for the last 25 years and it’s not been a big deal for me.

I find you have to figure out how things works, what your triggers are that throw your system out of kilter and don’t mentally or emotionally interfere with how things work. If you stress yourself out about it or try to force things it will be worse, guaranteed. Alcohol and fermented foods really cause me discomfort and so I tend to avoid or consume them in extreme moderation. If your prostate is bothering you, you should wait and see how things are for a couple of extra minutes in the bathroom, as an example.

I went to my family doctor and then an urologist, went through a few rounds of antibiotics and my urologist told me I had to live with it and if I wanted to I could try sone herbal remedies and he left me with an open prescription for antibiotics that I could take if needed.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I’ve had an inflamed or infected prostate for the last 25 years and it’s not been a big deal for me.

I find you have to figure out how things works, what your triggers are that throw your system out of kilter and don’t mentally or emotionally interfere with how things work. If you stress yourself out about it or try to force things it will be worse, guaranteed. Alcohol and fermented foods really cause me discomfort and so I tend to avoid or consume them in extreme moderation. If your prostate is bothering you, you should wait and see how things are for a couple of extra minutes in the bathroom, as an example.

I went to my family doctor and then an urologist, went through a few rounds of antibiotics and my urologist told me I had to live with it and if I wanted to I could try sone herbal remedies and he left me with an open prescription for antibiotics that I could take if needed.

I too have had a chronic prostate enlargement for almost 30 years. Besides some minor discomfort and a little trouble urinating sometimes, it hasn't really been an issue.

If you're 35 or older make sure your doctor adds a PSA test to your annual checkup. I've found Saw Palmetto capsules provides some relief.

@DAChampion can likely provide additional suggestions and insights.

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I too have had a chronic prostate enlargement for almost 30 years. Besides some minor discomfort and a little trouble urinating sometimes, it hasn't really been an issue.

If you're 35 or older make sure your doctor adds a PSA test to your annual checkup. I've found Saw Palmetto capsules provides some relief.

25 years ? 30 years ? Damn, you guys are either 96 years old or it happens way earlier than I thought.

I just wanna be able to pee right when Im gray, you know.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's rare that the inflamation makes it really difficult to pee, for me. When it acts up, typically you just don't have the same pressure behind the stream, but it's not a dribble.

I mostly cut out caffeine and alcohol, have a healthful, balanced diet, and exercise regularly. My last PSA test was better than the optimum value.

Prostate issues are obviously more severe with others, but as long as it's benign (not precancerous) it shouldn't substantially affect one's lifestyle.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
25 years ? 30 years ? Damn, you guys are either 96 years old or it happens way earlier than I thought.

I just wanna be able to pee right when Im gray, you know.
Mid - 20’s and onward. For me it was when I was around 30.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Saw palmetto is a herbal supplement that seems to be similar to propecia/finasteride. That gives you two reasons to be careful:

1) Supplement manufacturers are known to lie about what they're selling.
2) Propecia does a lot of things in the body, some men have great results for each of their prostate, their acne, and their hair, but other men report terrible side effects, including erectile dysfunction, brain fog, depression, etc. IMO, that drug should be avoided, and saw palmetto should be avoided by extension.

I don't know that much about prostate issues. Men should get a PSA count, particularly of they have had prostate cancer in their family, and if they started balding early on. Prostate issues correlate with baldness. I think that they also correlate with insulin resistance, so if you're worried about your prostate, you might need to reduce sugar, refined carbs, alcohol, and plausibly animal proteins like casseine and whey.

@Andrei79 knows more.

Reactions: groovejuice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Saw palmetto is a herbal supplement that seems to be similar to propecia/finasteride. That gives you two reasons to be careful:

2) Propecia does a lot of things in the body, some men have great results for each of their prostate, their acne, and their hair, but other men report terrible side effects, including erectile dysfunction, brain fog, depression, etc. IMO, that drug should be avoided, and saw palmetto should be avoided by extension.

I don't know that much about prostate issues. Men should get a PSA count, particularly of they have had prostate cancer in their family, and if they started balding early on. Prostate issues correlate with baldness. I think that they also correlate with insulin resistance, so if you're worried about your prostate, you might need to reduce sugar, refined carbs, alcohol, and plausibly animal proteins like casseine and whey.

@Andrei79 knows more.

giphy.gif

Yep Im already dead

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It’s more like my muscles are twitching on their own lol

I also switched up my routine back to a heavier, strength focus so could be that as well.
Creatine shouldn't do that, which brand are you taking?
Are you taking as part of a preworkout mix? That would make more sense.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

@Andrei79 knows more.

When you say that saw palmetto is similar to propecia and finasteride, do you mean they're chemically similar, alike in their effects on the body or both? I don't use it often, but I find it may be helpful if the prostate seems more sensitive than usual.

I wasn't aware about the whey protein, which is the main protein source of a supplement I use after a workout. I haven't noticed any side effects at all except for increased urination for a few hours after drinking it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
When you say that saw palmetto is similar to propecia and finasteride, do you mean they're chemically similar, alike in their effects on the body or both? I don't use it often, but I find it may be helpful if the prostate seems more sensitive than usual.

I wasn't aware about the whey protein, which is the main protein source of a supplement I use after a workout. I haven't noticed any side effects at all except for increased urination for a few hours after drinking it.

Saw palmetto and finasteride both reduce 5alpha reductase. That enzyme converts testosterone into DHT, and does many other things in the body.

I don't recall the exact details of the latter claim, but I think that all proteins spike insulin, and animal proteins tend to spike it even more.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Saw palmetto and finasteride both reduce 5alpha reductase. That enzyme converts testosterone into DHT, and does many other things in the body.

I don't recall the exact details of the latter claim, but I think that all proteins spike insulin, and animal proteins tend to spike it even more.

So basically one wants to avoid the catalyzation of testosterone into DHT, is that right? Doesn't the simultaneous production of glucagon from dietary protein counteract to some degree the DHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad