OT: Fitness and Nutrition IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
They're not vegans if they're eating Oreos.
How so? Technically vegan just means the abstaining from animal products. You can live off of cola and Oreos and still be vegan. That’s why in all those health docs they refer to is as a “whole food, plant based” diet. It’s actually a different movement than the vegan movement (which is just about ethics/environment, our own health be damned). They get lumped together but are different things.

Reactions: DAChampion

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How so? Technically vegan just means the abstaining from animal products. You can live off of cola and Oreos and still be vegan. That’s why in all those health docs they refer to is as a “whole food, plant based” diet. It’s actually a different movement than the vegan movement (which is just about ethics/environment, our own health be damned). They get lumped together but are different things.

I like the ''whole food'' modifier. It's as if to say ''no, you idiot, not oreos.''

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Hey, I'm sorry for the error, I thought that Oreos contained some dairy.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I’ll tell the others that the vegan messiah has spoken on the matter.

Pretty sure they can read by themselves.
The Complete Guide to All the Vegan Oreo Flavors
Are Oreos Vegan? - Are All Oreos Cookies Dairy-Free
Are Oreos Vegan? - Can Vegans Eat Oreo Cookies?.

But hey...this probably isn't enough to convince so let's just go straight to the actual OREO faq webpage and quote them:
''-Is Oreo suitable for vegans?
-No, Oreo have milk as cross contact and therefore they are not suitable for vegans.''
FAQ

But sure bro...keep eating them Oreos vegan boy. :facepalm:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Again, you didn't make the error, our resident vegan did...to no surprise to you I'm sure.

Here you can read it from the Oreo faq webpage.
FAQ

Anyway this is somewhat of a pedantic point.

I believe that a large fraction of vegans cheat sometimes, either deliberately or without realizing it. For example, some of them might not realize that a lot of cheese in pizza contains rennet, or that a lot of candy contains gelatin.

If reducing animal product consumption from 30% to 0% is healthy, then so is reducing animal product consumption from 30% to 3%, and that will be true as long as the reaction is due to metabolic and cardiovascular rather than auto-immune factors.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Pretty sure they can read by themselves.
The Complete Guide to All the Vegan Oreo Flavors
Are Oreos Vegan? - Are All Oreos Cookies Dairy-Free
Are Oreos Vegan? - Can Vegans Eat Oreo Cookies?.

But hey...this probably isn't enough to convince so let's just go straight to the actual OREO faq webpage and quote them:
''-Is Oreo suitable for vegans?
-No, Oreo have milk as cross contact and therefore they are not suitable for vegans.''
FAQ

But sure bro...keep eating them Oreos vegan boy. :facepalm:
That’s in the UK ya meathead

In North America they are vegan and are a staple for junk food vegans.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Same. There is a risk of cross contamination.
Are Oreos Vegan? (Updated: June 2019) — Fresh n' Lean
Cross contamination? Is this for the Vegan Olympics?

It quite literally says they are vegan in the link you posted :laugh:

oreo-ingredients.jpg

just give it up lol

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anyway this is somewhat of a pedantic point.

I believe that a large fraction of vegans cheat sometimes, either deliberately or without realizing it. For example, some of them might not realize that a lot of cheese in pizza contains rennet, or that a lot of candy contains gelatin.

If reducing animal product consumption from 30% to 0% is healthy, then so is reducing animal product consumption from 30% to 3%, and that will be true as long as the reaction is due to metabolic and cardiovascular rather than auto-immune factors.
No argument from me there. So long as vegans are aware of the fact the food they eat might actually contain animal products.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cross contamination? Is this for the Vegan Olympics?

It quite literally says they are vegan in the link you posted :laugh:

oreo-ingredients.jpg

just give it up lol
Not surprised you left out what's written right under the picture:
''There is no mention of dairy or eggs, yet the Oreo company itself says they do not consider the cookie “suitable for vegans” on the FAQ page: “Oreos have milk as cross-contact and therefore are not suitable for vegans.”

You're right though, not sure why I waste my time with you. Moving on.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Not surprised you left out what's written right under the picture:
''There is no mention of dairy or eggs, yet the Oreo company itself says they do not consider the cookie “suitable for vegans” on the FAQ page: “Oreos have milk as cross-contact and therefore are not suitable for vegans.”

You're right though, not sure why I waste my time with you. Moving on.
Never took you for a militant vegan :laugh:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For the record I find this Oreo talk as boring as the rest of you, but for some reason KrissE is very passionate about this subject.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I do, highly recommend.

Get a proper non-non stick one. I use flat bottom but round is likely recommended.

If you take 5-10 minutes to organize and chop your ingredients the cooking is really quick and easy.

I have a really good stainless pan for high heat searing (demeyere, da best), and a non-stick for low heat things like eggs. But I think I need something like a wok for stir fry. Is yours stainless or is it a carbon steel wok?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Does anyone use a wok at home?
Obviously, you need three pans, a good non-stick for eggs, a cast iron for meat and a wok for stir frying.

Obviously a wok should be carbon, don't get a non-stick one, otherwise you might as well just use the non-stick pan you got for your eggs. Get one with a solid handle too, not with the two small handles you wanna be able to flip it.

A wok doesn't work with induction stovetop though, so be aware of that. (Gas is best)

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I have a really good stainless pan for high heat searing (demeyere, da best), and a non-stick for low heat things like eggs. But I think I need something like a wok for stir fry. Is yours stainless or is it a carbon steel wok?

Carbon steel. You should be able to find one in a Chinatown. Easy to season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad