#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wonder what they think of Pastrnak, Krug, Heinen, and Donato...you know, guys Chiarelli signed or drafted

They are good young players. Chiarelli does do good things, I will not deny that. I have like the past 3 Oilers drafts, I have liked his college UFA signings of Benning and Cagguila (and others), I have liked his smaller trades. The issue is that a terrible trade such as the Hall trade has a more negative impact than most of those positives combined. Just like a really bad Seguin trade had a more negative impact than a good signing in Krug and good pick in Heinen. Or a terrible signing in Lucic will do more damage than a good trade in Maroon

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chara was signed under Gorton. He did pick up other middle line players, but Lucic/Bergeron/Krecji drove that team offensively. They were the 3 leading scorers and Krecji/Bergeron dominated int he playoffs when they won the cup. Chara was a beast on D and Tim Thomas was insane (and not a Chiarelli find). On and Gorton got Rask as well

so Jeff Gorton is the mastermind behind that Cup?
then I guess George McPhee deserves credit for the Caps Cup win this year...he traded Forsberg for Erat

He put them in cap hell, he turned a stanley cup winner into non playoff team. he didnt cripple the Bruins like he has with the Oilers, but relative to what the team once was, he imploded that team. He also destroyed what could have been a dynasty. The Bruins had found gems in later rounders with Marchand/Bergeron/Lucic/Krecji and had elite level goaltending for year. That team could have been a force if they had kept Seguin, Wheeler and not sunk themselves with the cap and overpaying vets
Dynasty do not happen anymore...hate to break it to you
and for a team in "cap hell", all they did was consistently 40 games game each and every year and over 90 points....I wish the Oilers could be that "bad"

and this year's re-resurgence back to a 50 win team has a lot to do with Chiarelli's acquisitions...specifically Pastrnak and Krug, to go along with Heinen

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So you're literally giving credit to Chia for simply existing here.

There's a lesson in there but I don't think it's the one you think it is.

Here there is a Chiarelli appreciation thread just because he was able to walk up to the podium at the draft and pick the consensus 10th overall pick. The bar is so low for Chiarelli you have to get a shovel and dig a hole to find it

Reactions: Speed220DChalavan

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
so Jeff Gorton is the mastermind behind that Cup?
then I guess George McPhee deserves credit for the Caps Cup win this year...he traded Forsberg for Erat

Dynasty do not happen anymore...hate to break it to you
and for a team in "cap hell", all they did was consistently 40 games game each and every year and over 90 points....I wish the Oilers could be that "bad"

and this year's re-resurgence back to a 50 win team has a lot to do with Chiarelli's acquisitions...specifically Pastrnak and Krug, to go along with Heinen

Gorton and that core was a big part. Its more Gorton than it was Chiarelli. McPhee should get credit for some of the Caps cup yes.

There is different levels of bad. There is Oilers level bad where 40 wins is seen as on par with winning a cup. And there is a level of bad where missing the playoffs is seen as bad. Teams hold themselves to different standards. When you have a team with a #1D, great #1 and #2C, one of the best wingers in the game and one of the best goalies in the game, not making the playoffs and not being a contender is seen as being bad

And they only have to resurge because the team had to recover from all of Chiarellis bad contracts and the fact he lost his best skilled forward in Seguin. So they had to wait a few years and luck out that Pastrnakis doing as good as he is. A good GM would have kept that core great and would have won or challenged for a few more cups

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Gorton and that core was a big part. Its more Gorton than it was Chiarelli. McPhee should get credit for some of the Caps cup yes.
again, McPhee made a worse trade and he covered...why can't Chiarelli?
McPhee built 2 Conference winning teams this year!

There is different levels of bad. There is Oilers level bad where 40 wins is seen as on par with winning a cup. And there is a level of bad where missing the playoffs is seen as bad. Teams hold themselves to different standards. When you have a team with a #1D, great #1 and #2C, one of the best wingers in the game and one of the best goalies in the game, not making the playoffs and not being a contender is seen as being bad
and who's responsible to holding the Bruins to such high standards? probably the guys in charge with building that Bruins team

And they only have to resurge because the team had to recover from all of Chiarellis bad contracts and the fact he lost his best skilled forward in Seguin. So they had to wait a few years and luck out that Pastrnakis doing as good as he is. A good GM would have kept that core great and would have won or challenged for a few more cups
which bad contracts specifically?
so when Pastrnak is drafted its considered "luck" instead of good drafting?

as for the Seguin trade...maybe if Neely and co. had kept Reilly Smith... one of the pieces Chiarelli traded for.... instead of dumping him, they could've made the playoffs a few more times

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
they probably dislike him, just like Caps fans trade McPhee for trading Forsberg...

I wonder if McPhee could ever build a good team again...
Chiarelli has had 3 years here with the best player in the NHL and he's made the playoffs once. At one point do you finally realize that he's not capable of building a team worthy of a player like McDavid?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
again, McPhee made a worse trade and he covered...why can't Chiarelli?
McPhee built 2 Conference winning teams this year!

and who's responsible to holding the Bruins to such high standards? probably the guys in charge with building that Bruins team

which bad contracts specifically?
so when Pastrnak is drafted its considered "luck" instead of good drafting?

as for the Seguin trade...maybe if Neely and co. had kept Reilly Smith... one of the pieces Chiarelli traded for.... instead of dumping him, they could've made the playoffs a few more times

2 things: 1) While the Forsberg for Erat trade was bad, he made the mistake one time and made solid moves after. Chiarelli has 5 trades as bad or nearly as bad as the Forsberg trade, including the 16th overall + 33rd for Reinhart trade he made in his first months here. If McPhee had traded Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetov, then the comparison would be fair

2) Mcphee went on to show good things in his first year. Chiarelli traded for Reinhart and then made several bad moves since then. He has not shown to have learnt anything as he is still making the exact same mistakes he did in Boston

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
so you think last year wasn't an anomaly?
I'm expecting next season's squad to be much closer to last season's rather than the team that made the playoffs 2 years ago.

The playoff team had 0 key injuries, almost every player posting career highs, and Talbot putting up a Norris worthy season. the stars aligned and they still only made the 2nd round.

Last season had almost every forward putting up career-average totals and a healthy McDavid combined with some minor injuries to a couple players (nothing that other teams don't face) and poor goaltending.

I expect Talbot to be much better next year (but not as good as 2016/2017) and Klefbom should return to form. If McDavid stays healthy the team is at best a bubble team. Remove him and they're last in the league. You can't honestly look at this roster and think that it's an acceptable one considering the plethora of assets and cap space Chia had at his disposal when he became GM.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
2 things: 1) While the Forsberg for Erat trade was bad, he made the mistake one time and made solid moves after. Chiarelli has 5 trades as bad or nearly as bad as the Forsberg trade, including the 16th overall + 33rd for Reinhart trade he made in his first months here. If McPhee had traded Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetov, then the comparison would be fair
I've said all along...and was quote in that trade thread on here...that it was a terrible trade
there's no excuse for that one cause it kills our prospect depth

2) Mcphee went on to show good things in his first year. Chiarelli traded for Reinhart and then made several bad moves since then. He has not shown to have learnt anything as he is still making the exact same mistakes he did in Boston
Chiarelli did good things too though...traded for a goalie, signed Sekera and Letestu, both valuable players, signed Klef, traded for Kassian and Maroon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
what's incredible is that you're allowed back in here after being banned....thank goodness for a server change eh?

Maybe read the rules. It was temporary, and it was the first and only one.

"Bans are incremental. The first ban is 30 days (maximum). If you are banned a second time it is for 60 days. A 3rd ban lasts 90 days, and 4th ban is 1 year."

Lets see your interpretation from that of what is allowed here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've said all along...and was quote in that trade thread on here...that it was a terrible trade

Chiarelli did good things too though...traded for a goalie, signed Sekera and Letestu, both valuable players, signed Klef, traded for Kassian and Maroon

And that trade wasnt even Chiarellis worst as a GM of the Oilers. In his career, that move is probably the 3rd or 4th worst hes ever made (Hall trade, Seguin trade, Lucic contract, then debateable with Wheeler trade). For McPhee, that is his clear cut #1 worst move and nothing is in the same ball park.

Its like saying that 2 drivers are of similar driving ability because both hit a parked car one time. Meanwhile one of the drivers has totaled a few cars and racked up numerous tickets, while the other is a standard driver with just that one incident

I am not disagreeing that he did good things as I said before. But the negatives outweigh the positives

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maybe read the rules. It was temporary, and it was the first and only one.

"Bans are incremental. The first ban is 30 days (maximum). If you are banned a second time it is for 60 days. A 3rd ban lasts 90 days, and 4th ban is 1 year."

Lets see your interpretation from that of what is allowed here.
why do you have a new username and joined in Oct 8 2017...like a week after the new server came into place?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
why do you have a new username and joined in Oct 8 2017...like a week after the new server came into place?

OK Investigative sleuth. I disclosed who I was to moderation here in October 2017. There is no mystery. Anything else?

I was tired of the board for awhile (1year) but decided to give it a new shot and kind of preferred the new format. I like Drasaitl, wanted a new username befitting that.

back to the thread

Lucic is the worst contract signed by this org in the last dozen years.

Yes or no.

If you say no which was fiscally worse.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I am not disagreeing that he did good things as I said before. But the negatives outweigh the positives
see I disagree

I think his drafting,the backbone of a frachise... is much better than it's been in the past...a massive positive
I think he identifies a core...specifically centres and defenseman...and built around it...a positive

he tend to overpay players...a negative
the Lucic signing looks bad...a negative

even the Hall-Larsson, while a loss in value (which I've said all along) isn't a disaster IMO because Larsson is still young, cost-controlled for a while, can easily play top-pairing minutes against the tough opponents...and I think in the long run, his defense will be needed more than Hall's offense

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
OK Sherlock. I disclosed who I was to moderation here in October 2017. There is no mystery. Anything else.

tbh I was tired of the board for awhile but decided to give it a new shot. I like Drasaitl, wanted a new username befitting that.

back to the thread

Yes or no.

Chiarelli's contract was worse.

Reactions: harpoon

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
see I disagree

I think his drafting,the backbone of a frachise... is much better than it's been in the past...a massive positive
I think he identifies a core...specifically centres and defenseman...and built around it...a positive

he tend to overpay players...a negative
the Lucic signing looks bad...a negative

even the Hall-Larsson, while a loss in value (which I've said all along) isn't a disaster IMO because Larsson is still young, cost-controlled for a while, can easily play top-pairing minutes against the tough opponents...and I think in the long run, his defense will be needed more than Hall's offense
It hardly matters if you draft well if the development is still questionable and you pay players for their potential instead of their reality.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Letestu is no longer here
Maroon was traded for a bucket of KFC wings
Kassian is back to being Kassian this season. Useless
Sekera is done
Talbot was a gift handed to the Oilers on a platter who now looks like a good backup as opposed to a good starter.

oh did I mention

Jussi Jokinen
Ryan Strome
losing Desharnais for pennies on a dollar when he was a good fit

Trading a first round pick (Potential for Barzal)and a 2nd for Reinhart
Signing Lucic to a ludicrous 7 year contract

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
OK Investigative sleuth. I disclosed who I was to moderation here in October 2017. There is no mystery. Anything else?

I was tired of the board for awhile (1year) but decided to give it a new shot and kind of preferred the new format. I like Drasaitl, wanted a new username befitting that.

back to the thread

Yes or no.

yeah, you conveniently went missing the year the Oilers had their best season in 25 years...hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad