#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wow dude. Just wow. Trading Hall for Larsson is now worse than the Gretzky trade in your eyes? Sorry man, but you've now lost all credibility in my eyes (which I'm sure you could care less about).

Gretzky trade was as much about Pocklington's finances, Pronger demanded a trade out.

I'm talking about situations that were completely unforced, what Chia did in summer 2016 is probably the most egregious unforced error in the history of the franchise.

2 years later we're capped out, shopping Lucic, Hall is a Hart trophy winner, and we missed the playoffs by a country mile. It's hard to envision a scenario from that gamble made that summer worse than this one.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Heres a solution If you can't sign Lucic, Then Don't ! You keep Hall. Cut your losses, move on to other options. Don't force the first option. In business there is always a winner or not a winner. There are no "great" business deals. No matter what the experts claim. Oilers are paying Lucic for the work done in Boston. In his time here there has not been 1 star player in his prime to sign here via free agency or the trade deadlne, yet 2 have been traded off and one who we could have attained via the draft. Just a bunch of serviceable players who have overachieved and then underachieved. Puljujarvi and Bouchard just fell into our laps for free. No work done there. Puljujarvi could very well go the way of Yakupov if he doesnt show anything this year.

I think people are seeing my name and assuming I'm arguing in favour of everything Chiarelli is doing. That's not the case. I have stated multiple times in this thread that signing for Lucic was a mistake. Please get that clear.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Gretzky trade was as much about Pocklington's finances, Pronger demanded a trade out.

I'm talking about situations that were completely unforced, what Chia did in summer 2016 is probably the most egregious unforced error in the history of the franchise.

2 years later we're capped out, shopping Lucic, Hall is a Hart trophy winner, and we missed the playoffs by a country mile. It's hard to envision a scenario from that gamble made that summer worse than this one.
what they needed to do is fold the franchise after the Hall trade

Reactions: McDraekke

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Hall would not have been a Hart winner on this team. McDavid playing here all but guarantees this. So please stop using this justification. I've also read (sorry I don't remember which thread it was in) that Hall talks about not meshing well with coaching staff in Edmonton as well as he has in NJ, and that's probably a big part of his second year success.

Calling the Gretzky trade an "unforced error" is a nice way to exclude him from any comparisons and really highlight your point while really being meaningless. It was the biggest blunder in NHL history, bar none, and you using it that way to try and make your point better is very ridiculous. Hall for Larsson was bad value, but you can't argue that Larsson didn't have his part in the team reaching the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall would not have been a Hart winner on this team. McDavid playing here all but guarantees this. So please stop using this justification. I've also read (sorry I don't remember which thread it was in) that Hall talks about not meshing well with coaching staff in Edmonton as well as he has in NJ, and that's probably a big part of his second year success.

Calling the Gretzky trade an "unforced error" is a nice way to exclude him from any comparisons and really highlight your point while really being meaningless. It was the biggest blunder in NHL history, bar none, and you using it that way to try and make your point better is very ridiculous. Hall for Larsson was bad value, but you can't argue that Larsson didn't have his part in the team reaching the playoffs.

Doesn't matter if he doesn't win the Hart here, he could still be 70+ point player with Draisaitl and give the Oilers the best top 6 in the NHL because we'd have the McDavid line which would obviously score and a Hall + Draisaitl line is as good as any no.2 line in the NHL.

Gretzky trade was about Pocklington's finances, the GM (Sather) did not want to do it and would never do it 1000/1000 times, that's clearly a very different situation.

Katz didn't put a gun to Chia's head to do what he did.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
what they needed to do is fold the franchise after the Hall trade

Or hold someone accountable. Like the person who thought it was a good idea. That's usually what happens in most jobs when you f*** up this big and now two years later have a giant mess on your hands.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Hall would not have been a Hart winner on this team. McDavid playing here all but guarantees this. So please stop using this justification.

Talking about Hall winning the Hart in New Jersey isn't about the idea he'd win it here, but it illustrates the calibre of player they sold off for a good, but not great, defender.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Just like how Malkin never could because of crosby right?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
TWO good players on one team? Are you crazy? You can't win like that!

cut.jpg

Yeah, good thing we just rode Gretzky alone to those Cups.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't want people who show up to criticize the team when thing are bad, then disappear when things go good

Thats not what has happened at all. I have said even in the heart of the playoff hunt last year when all of Edmonton was collectively in euphoria that this team was flawed and needed to be fixed and met with the same drivel that is team was a contender and all the players were great blah blah. It had gotten so bad I had to side with a friggin Flames fan who was pretty accurately pointing out that Talbot was bailing out the Oilers and the Oilers D wasnt as great as people thought and noone would listen to him

The criticisms are always there, people just might not see them when things are bad because whenever anything bad is brought up the majority of people will say "I dont care about the Lucic contract, we are winning and did you see his fight last game!!!1!" Or "Hall who? did you see when Larsson rubbed out Gaudreau along the boards, Hall never would"

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow dude. Just wow. Trading Hall for Larsson is now worse than the Gretzky trade in your eyes? Sorry man, but you've now lost all credibility in my eyes (which I'm sure you could care less about).

The Gretzky "trade" was a firesale for 15M which Pocklington desperately needed and promptly put in his pocket. Are you really going to be this disingenuous in this thread? Rhetorical question.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Talking about Hall winning the Hart in New Jersey isn't about the idea he'd win it here, but it illustrates the calibre of player they sold off for a good, but not great, defender.

Exactly, first of we don't know Hall wouldn't have been a Hart winner here. That is pure speculation. But, even if that is true, he would never have won the Hart here, Chia should have known he was a Hart calibre player and asked for a price accordingly. To say Hall would never have been good here doesn't make Chia look any better. He then should have known other teams would be willing to spend more to get a potential Hart player. Chia had Lucic locked up and rushed a bad deal, it is basically that simple.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

If I can just add respectfully that its much worse than that. Most egregious inforced error in the history of the franchise, we're capped out, only now without depth, without a topsix, without hardly any good wingers, we can't shop Lucic because nobody sane would take this contract or even this player, and we're stuck with him as his agent just reminded us yesterday.

Again Lucic isn't going anywhere. This is the worst news I've had in my life since Wednesday when Germany got booted...;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is it at all funny that nothing is happening, Its June 29, Chia has done nothing but participate in the draft and suddenly we have both a Chia appreciation thread and a Chai appreciation thread. I'm predisposed to the latter, with foamy creamy latte, goodness, and rich frothy lather.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
I'd be very, very surprised if Draisaitl wasn't traded within two years. An overpaid player won't make it in this market for long, especially when you're overpaid at the start.

There's more pressure to win-now than in the Eberle/RNH days, and they're running out of impact players (especially forwards) to trade. They made the playoffs and had a brilliant year, everyone was sharpening their knives for Eberle and RNH. It actually gets worse if the team plays well.

Patrick Kane's contract isn't great, but nobody says a word because he broke out and became the best player in the league right after it kicked in. That element of surprise shut everyone up. If Drai doesn't have it (it'd take 80+ pts as the 2C imo), it's more pressure to perform (that ruined Eberle) and more pressure to be traded.

You're banking on a big step like Kucherov, Thornton and Schiefele at the same age. You're banking on it with:

a) no legit top six wingers
b) possibly no legit top nine wingers
c) no PP personnel
d) a coach who appears to dislike him

Reminds of the 80's Oilers and how those scrubs from 1980 suddenly turned into the greatest team of all time. The Oilers seem to expect that transformation from all the core players, at least.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Aberg and Marody, truly the crown jewels of a cup contender.
This post bears repeating. Well said.
but it's been said over and over again
And over and over again, you have failed to rebut. In fact, I have yet to see you come up with one decent reason why Chiarelli deserves to keep his job.
I don't want people who show up to criticize the team when thing are bad, then disappear when things go good
Like who is doing that? Nobody.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bob Mackenzie saying what a growing number of HFOiler posters have been saying for a while, IE: If the Oilers miss the playoffs with McDavid yet again, that is extremely bad:

GM Peter Chiarelli decided not to make a blockbuster move so the team is the same outside of Mikko Koskinen in net and Tobias Rieder and Kyle Brodziak at forward, McKenzie said. “It is the same basic group that fell on its face last year that will be tasked with cleaning up their own mess of year ago. I think the way most people look at it, every year you have a Connor McDavid-led team that misses the playoffs that is a crime against hockey humanity. I think that would be especially true this season after they didn’t do it last season. I mean McDavid’s game is on its own level and it would be absolutely criminal if the Edmonton Oilers cannot find a way to surround him with enough talent to get this team back into the playoffs.”

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
100% agree with McKenzie and I hope Oilers ownership feels the same way. If the Oilers miss the playoffs again this year, Chia better be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->