#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
see I disagree

I think his drafting,the backbone of a frachise... is much better than it's been in the past...a massive positive
I think he identifies a core...specifically centres and defenseman...and built around it...a positive

he tend to overpay players...a negative
the Lucic signing looks bad...a negative

even the Hall-Larsson, while a loss in value (which I've said all along) isn't a disaster IMO because Larsson is still young, cost-controlled for a while, can easily play top-pairing minutes against the tough opponents...and I think in the long run, his defense will be needed more than Hall's offense

What Core D or Center is here due to Chia?

Larsson and Sekera by my count. Larsson who we traded the league MVP for and Sekera who is overpaid and bad.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Damn, good answer. heh ;)
If we're just sticking to players, I'd argue the Lucic contract is the worst in franchise history given the implications (possibly lead to Hall being dealt, losing Maroon, possible consequences in the next expansion draft). The Hall trade is also the worst hockey trade in franchise history (the Gretzky trade was about money). How can someone who made the worst signing and worst trade in the history of a 40 year old franchise still keep his job?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Letestu is no longer here
but Aberg is

Maroon was traded for a bucket of KFC wings
Cooper Marody actually...look him up, a good prospect

Kassian is back to being Kassian this season. Useless
down year, like most of the team
Sekera is done
why?
Talbot was a gift handed to the Oilers on a platter who now looks like a good backup as opposed to a good starter.

yeah and Reinhart was a MacT and Bob Green trade...book it!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
yeah, you conveniently went missed the year the Oilers had their best season in 25 years...hmmmmm

Are you blaming that I am here or not here? I'm having a hard time keeping up with what your concern is. No, its not a conspiracy that I'm here and the Oilers happen to be bad. Its not even my fault...;)

jk aside after the Trade of Hall I lost more faith in the club for awhile, as many did. Nor was it reinstilled the one year of success and for the reasons that Steven stated in post 11289.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Are you blaming that I am here or not here? I'm having a hard time keeping up with what your concern is. No, its not a conspiracy that I'm here and the Oilers happen to be bad. Its not even my fault...;)

jk aside after the Trade of Hall I lost more faith in the club for awhile, as many did. Nor was it reinstilled the one year of success and for the reasons that Steven stated in post 11289.
my concern is you only show up to complain

you weren't here last year cause there was nothing to complain about (@StevenF1919 also conveniently joined in October 2017...guessing he was banned too)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
see I disagree

I think his drafting,the backbone of a frachise... is much better than it's been in the past...a massive positive
I think he identifies a core...specifically centres and defenseman...and built around it...a positive

he tend to overpay players...a negative
the Lucic signing looks bad...a negative

even the Hall-Larsson, while a loss in value (which I've said all along) isn't a disaster IMO because Larsson is still young, cost-controlled for a while, can easily play top-pairing minutes against the tough opponents...and I think in the long run, his defense will be needed more than Hall's offense

Tough to say. While I love the Bear, Jones, Stafin. Yamamoto, Stafin etc picks, none have panned out yet. Even Puljujarvi is a ? at this point in time. We can revisit this is 3 years when those prospects are either NHLer or not

Ok, he identified the important positions that almost all the 30 other GMs did to as well. His contributions to building around those 2 positions have been Sekera. Larsson and Russell (McDavid was a gimme). He actually drastically overpaid to focus on the D core and really hasnt done much to make it great. He gave out 2 overpayments to Sekera and Russell and gave up the Hart winner for Larsson. So added 2 top 4 D and 1 bottom pairing D for alot of money and assets. The D core is still meh, although Nurse might save it (Not a Chiarelli pick).

You also forget the Eberle trade and the Reinhart trade. I wont rehash the Larsson trade, because if you dont see it as being a tremendous loss in value, then I wont convince you at this point. My point of contention is that you say he can "easily" play top pairing minutes against tough opponents. Well its not that simple, he can play top pairing minutes if his partner is playing very good (ie Greene or Klefbom). As we saw last year, he is not capable on his own of playing top pairing minutes

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
my concern is you only show up to complain

you weren't here last year cause there was nothing to complain about (@StevenF1919 also conveniently joined in October 2017...guessing he was banned too)
Cry about it.
For sure this applies with Sekera. With his play of the last year he couldn't eve be considered in a core. At least we don't have to suffer him as long as Lucic.
I have no qualms with the Sekera contract and Chia shouldn't shoulder any blame for that injury. My only criticism is giving him an NMC.
yeah, that's what I said
My point is that these are nothing players and if you have to list them as the good things that your GM has done, you've got a problem.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Chia deserves to be fired for giving Draisaitl that contract... overpaid him by 2M because he looked good in 5 playoffs games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We're posting on an Edmonton Oilers board on a fire Chia thread and you wonder about people complaining?

I would think it par for the course.

Why are you here?
I forgot how good last year was. A year where we had plenty of promise, cap space, and room to improve.

Instead Tobias decided to jettison our last remaining talented winger for a do-nothing bottom 6er, re-sign Russell to a puzzling deal, do nothing with the cap space we acquired, force a rookie into the lineup (thankfully only for 9 games), and then trade for a backup goalie long after the season was out of reach. And now we're facing a cap crunch for a pretty mediocre team that has fantastic center depth and essentially nothing else.

Man, how can anyone complain?

Reactions: Aerrol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
For sure this applies with Sekera. With his play of the last year he couldn't eve be considered in a core. At least we don't have to suffer him as long as Lucic.
we are also stuck with a sniffling molases taking up a huge chunk of our cap space.

giving up Draisaitl+Klefbom+1st (puljujarvi) for Subban would have been much better in the hindsight than the Hall\Larsson swap.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I forgot how good last year was. A year where we had plenty of promise, cap space, and room to improve.

Instead Tobias decided to jettison our last remaining talented winger for a do-nothing bottom 6er, re-sign Russell to a puzzling deal, do nothing with the cap space we acquired, force a rookie into the lineup (thankfully only for 9 games), and then trade for a backup goalie long after the season was out of reach. And now we're facing a cap crunch for a pretty mediocre team that has fantastic center depth and essentially nothing else.

Man, how can anyone complain?
you forgot to add the biggest signings ... McDavid and Draisaitl.
plenty of promise + cap space vanished after the 2 signings.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
you forgot to add the biggest signings ... McDavid and Draisaitl.
plenty of promise + cap space vanished after the 2 signings.
He still had a lot of cap space since McDavid's extension didn't kick in yet.

And he proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. To me that's his biggest offense.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The bottom line with Chia is he came in thinking he was going to build a great D core. He hasn't and has paid a ton to do it (Barzal, Hall, Overpays to Russel and Sekera). It is beyond me how you can fail so bad given you gave up so much. I would argue our best two Dmen over all are Nurse and Klef, they were here before Chia. Larsson is too bad offensively, any one who knows hockey at all knows its a two way game. You can never be a top dman if you just shut down the other team but can't move the puck.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He still had a lot of cap space since McDavid's extension didn't kick in yet.

And he proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. To me that's his biggest offense.
so he should have brought in someone for a year? because McDavid's brutal contract was going to kick in regardless.

I guess he shouldve given up 2018 1st for Mike Green.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The bottom line with Chia is he came in thinking he was going to build a great D core. He hasn't and has paid a ton to do it (Barzal, Hall, Overpays to Russel and Sekera). It is beyond me how you can fail so bad given you gave up so much. I would argue our best two Dmen over all are Nurse and Klef, they were here before Chia. Larsson is too bad offensively, any one who knows hockey at all knows its a two way game. You can never be a top dman if you just shut down the other team but can't move the puck.
yup.. we should trade Larsson for Jake Gardiner. the guy can move the puck up.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
so he should have brought in someone for a year? because McDavid's brutal contract was going to kick in regardless.

There are many things Chiarelli has done wrong., but McDavids contract is not one of them lol. Drasaitls maybe was an overpay, but McDavid is worth 15+mil to this team for his contributions. You dont get him for anything less. When the next round of the Tavares/Doughty/Karlsson contracts come out, McDavids deal will look great

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Chia specifically brought cap space in for the year because he assumed the Oilers would be in a position to use it at the TDL. Keyword being assumed. In hindsight the move was completely pointless, saving us cap space in a year we didn't need it.

And yet despite those savings we're cap strapped anyway because of his inability to sign value deals for basically anyone. So now we're cap strapped AND mediocre. Pretty much the worst possible place for a hockey team to be.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chia deserves to be fired for giving Draisaitl that contract... overpaid him by 2M because he looked good in 5 playoffs games.
Lucic could have been had for 5- 5.5 mill 7 years, Drai could have been had for 7.5 million long term, Russell would have signed at 3.5, These are negotiation tactics, GM's use. Chiarelli hands out ludicrous contracts on a whim.

Reactions: Draiskull

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
we are also stuck with a sniffling molases taking up a huge chunk of our cap space.

giving up Draisaitl+Klefbom+1st (puljujarvi) for Subban would have been much better in the hindsight than the Hall\Larsson swap.

wot. No it wouldnt lol. Hall for Subban would have been smart. LD + Klefbom +1st would have bene even worse than Hall for Larsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad