#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lucic could have been had for 5- 5.5 mill 7 years, Drai could have been had for 7.5 million long term, Russell would have signed at 3.5, These are negotiation tactics, GM's use. Chiarelli hands out ludicrous contracts on a whim.
agree... all bad signings.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lucic could have been had for 5- 5.5 mill 7 years, Drai could have been had for 7.5 million long term, Russell would have signed at 3.5, These are negotiation tactics, GM's use. Chiarelli hands out ludicrous contracts on a whim.

Again, hes a lazy GM. He wants things done as quick as possible so he doesnt actually have to negotiate. Give them what they ask for

Reactions: harpoon

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Chia specifically brought cap space in for the year because he assumed the Oilers would be in a position to use it at the TDL. Keyword being assumed. In hindsight the move was completely pointless, saving us cap space in a year we didn't need it.

And yet despite those savings we're cap strapped anyway because of his inability to sign value deals for basically anyone. So now we're cap strapped AND mediocre. Pretty much the worst possible place for a hockey team to be.
It would have been nice to be in play for Sheary from Pittsburgh. Pipe dream, we had to get rid of Maroon because Lucic is sitting around at 6 million. Instead of improving this team heading into McDavids 4th season , we are going the opposite direction. Collecting picks, making false plans

Reactions: harpoon

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
wot. No it wouldnt lol. Hall for Subban would have been smart. LD + Klefbom +1st would have bene even worse than Hall for Larsson.
yes, because MTL would have traded Subban for a non-physical top line winger instead of a physical top pairing RD with the best bomb in the league.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Again, hes a lazy GM. He wants things done as quick as possible so he doesnt actually have to negotiate. Give them what they ask for

I'm not arguing that these negotiations were a win for Chia, I'd like to make that clear.

But can you actually show that any other GM in the league could have signed them to the contracts that you believe they were worth without creating bad will among the players/not being able to entice Lucic to come here? All reports are that Lucic was offered similar/same $$ but less term and we had to bend to get him here. Not the right choice in hindsight, but it's not like Chia gave him a blank check. And I'd rather lose 1M in cap space than create a Smyth-type negotiation catastrophe or make Draisaitl angry and bitter towards management fighting him on what he believed he was worth.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can't even find the Lucic appreciation thread because its ancient history or maybe has been buried and set on fire with gasoline.

But nobody cited this latest news;

Edmonton Oilers forward Milan Lucic is not on the move according to agent

Lucic not going anywhere...are we supposed to feel good about that? Its the worst hit I've felt since Germany got knocked out..

Lucic's agent;

"Milan had a bad year"

later, same damn article, says

"Milan has never had a bad year"

heh, I just find statements like that funny. Shouldn't an agent be a little better at communication?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm not arguing that these negotiations were a win for Chia, I'd like to make that clear.

But can you actually show that any other GM in the league could have signed them to the contracts that you believe they were worth without creating bad will among the players/not being able to entice Lucic to come here? All reports are that Lucic was offered similar/same $$ but less term and we had to bend to get him here. Not the right choice in hindsight, but it's not like Chia gave him a blank check. And I'd rather lose 1M in cap space than create a Smyth-type negotiation catastrophe or make Draisaitl angry and bitter towards management fighting him on what he believed he was worth.
whoop d doo.. thats what negotiations are for. 6.5M was his worth before the ANA series. a few good games shouldnt get you one of the highest paid players in the league.
You open up the wallet for McDavid.. Draisaitl with his contract is hurting this team.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
whoop d doo.. thats what negotiations are for. 6.5M was his worth before the ANA series. a few good games shouldnt get you one of the highest paid players in the league.
You open up the wallet for McDavid.. Draisaitl with his contract is hurting this team.

I would argue a net positive for the team, but I understand that it is an overpayment. Not arguing that. But for a team that has constantly struggled with luring high-end FA's, it isn't that crazy to see an overpayment, and it's certainly hard to argue that he's only worth roughly half of what McDavid is worth. That being said, the major problem that I had with how this went down is that I would have liked to see Drai get signed first, so that those comparisons aren't as easy to make.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This summer is going to be so funny because itll highlight how bad the Oilers managed the cap. Lets take a look at the division:

The Kings: Signed Kovalchuk
Sharks: In the running for Tavares
Knights: Frontrunner for Karlsson
Oilers; In talks with Jason Chimera lol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I would argue a net positive for the team, but I understand that it is an overpayment. Not arguing that. But for a team that has constantly struggled with luring high-end FA's, it isn't that crazy to see an overpayment, and it's certainly hard to argue that he's only worth roughly half of what McDavid is worth. That being said, the major problem that I had with how this went down is that I would have liked to see Drai get signed first, so that those comparisons aren't as easy to make.
pretty sure Drai's camp wanted things the way they played out.

once again could be linked to bad negotiating skills.
even McDavid contract could have been closer to 10M if Chia knew how to bargain.

Benning and Caggiula signings are overpayments as well and he should have simply walked away from Strome due to his 3M QO

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Then dont sign Lucic lol. Other dumb GMs were driving up his price, so he was getting 6 mil somewhere. But that sholdnt be a reason of why WE had to sign him. Walk away and get someone better, or doing something smarter

Draisaitl was overpaid by 1mil+, not 200K. Other GMs negotiated hard with their young RFAs and none of the left or were bitter after

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
pretty sure Drai's camp wanted things the way they played out.

once again could be linked to bad negotiating skills.
even McDavid contract could have been closer to 10M if Chia knew how to bargain.

Benning and Caggiula signings are overpayments as well and he should have simply walked away from Strome due to his 3M QO

Once again, can you really argue that other teams could have/would have gotten McDavid's agent down to 10M? That's a pretty hard argument to justify, imo, especially when you add in good will and expectations that he will sign with us afterwards. We short him $20M and you think he has as much incentive to stay with us after 8 years?

And again, I'm not arguing that there weren't contract overpayments, I'm just arguing that some of them were inevitable.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Then dont sign Lucic lol. Other dumb GMs were driving up his price, so he was getting 6 mil somewhere. But that sholdnt be a reason of why WE had to sign him. Walk away and get someone better, or doing something smarter

Draisaitl was overpaid by 1mil+, not 200K. Other GMs negotiated hard with their young RFAs and none of the left or were bitter after

I did say that the Lucic signing was a bad idea. Thanks for reading.

And I never said Drai was overpaid by 200k, I actually stated exactly what someone else mentioned, that it was 1M, and I'm OK with that, re: my other posts about the team's history with overpayments, etc. We all can see that the days of high-end RFA's being signed to lowball deals is over. Was it an overpayment? Yes. But I'm OK with it in the grand scheme, because Drai is a great player who benefits this team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This summer is going to be so funny because itll highlight how bad the Oilers managed the cap. Lets take a look at the division:

I think it goes to show the dangers of rebuilding and betting hard on the UFA market.

You should not have 3 big money UFA contracts on your books, maybe 2 tops.

The whole "Hall for Larsson then sign Lucic for 7 years!" gamble was a giant mistake.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Funny that Kovalchuk is a big risk, as he hasn't played in the NHL in years, Tavares might earn a very large contract that exceeds the value of his point totals and Karlsson brings with him very real injury concerns. Not saying Chimera signing here would be good (I think it would be a mistake), but your examples aren't exactly clear wins either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
but it's been said over and over again

When it's likely the biggest unforced error in franchise history, it probably bears repeating. Gretzky and Pronger situations have extenuating factors, what the Oilers did in summer 2016 was completely unforced.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
When it's likely the biggest unforced error in franchise history, it probably bears repeating. Gretzky and Pronger situations have extenuating factors, what the Oilers did in summer 2016 was completely unforced.

Wow dude. Just wow. Trading Hall for Larsson is now worse than the Gretzky trade in your eyes? Sorry man, but you've now lost all credibility in my eyes (which I'm sure you could care less about).

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Heres a solution If you can't sign Lucic, Then Don't ! You keep Hall. Cut your losses, move on to other options. Don't force the first option. In business there is always a winner or not a winner. There are no "great" business deals. No matter what the experts claim. Oilers are paying Lucic for the work done in Boston. In his time here there has not been 1 star player in his prime to sign here via free agency or the trade deadlne, yet 2 have been traded off and one who we could have attained via the draft. Just a bunch of serviceable players who have overachieved and then underachieved. Puljujarvi and Bouchard just fell into our laps for free. No work done there. Puljujarvi could very well go the way of Yakupov if he doesnt show anything this year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Wow dude. Just wow. Trading Hall for Larsson is now worse than the Gretzky trade in your eyes? Sorry man, but you've now lost all credibility in my eyes (which I'm sure you could care less about).

He said unforced error. I'm inclined to disagree, but he's not completely wrong either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad