#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont think he planned it out either, because as weve seen with the way hes torn down the Oilers, Chiarelli is not the kind of guy who plans

At least he wasn't plotting draft picks in Cancun sitting on a beach, bloated, with margaritas on hand. Older posters will know of that reference.

Nothing corrupts like success.

Unfortunately for us Chia's success was had in Boston. it could be that was his only moment.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
sure, it's not last year I'm worried about...it's this year and beyond
locked in to a #4-5 for this long is worrisome IMO

I guess. Just asking if there was any room for credit to be given. I'll take "sure" being as close to it gets.

Russell just turned 31. 34 isn't that old. Not sure if he'll be worth an extension, but with likely cap growth the Russell contract could end up very well for the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I guess. Just asking if there was any room for credit to be given. I'll take "sure" being as close to it gets.

Russell just turned 31. 34 isn't that old. Not sure if he'll be worth an extension, but with likely cap growth the Russell contract could end up very well for the team.

At the very best, Russell is performing at or around the 4 million mark value wise. This is with him being not a fit with the current D core (ie not a quality 2nd pairing level player, not a RD and with little to not much offensive ability, and who cant run a PP).

The Russell contracts hurts us in 2 ways

1) It limits our ability to acquire a 2nd pairing RD who actually fits our needs because we dont have the cap space AND/OR Chairelli already has it in his head Russell in the man for the 2nd pairing RD spot
2) With limited cap space we have to make a number of bad trades to free up cap space. IE Eberle for Strome. So the contract has already hurt us
Bonus #3) Russell destroys the stats of everyone he plays with, including Sekera last year, McDavid for the past 2 years and Benning last year. A rough estimate for the total points Russell has costed McDavid by having non-existent break out pass ability is around 30 over the past 2 seasons (using McDavids stats away from Russell and prorated over all his minutes)

The Oilers would be much better off with someone like Mike Green getting 5+ million but actually fitting our needs

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
At the very best, Russell is performing at or around the 4 million mark value wise. This is with him being not a fit with the current D core (ie not a quality 2nd pairing level player, not a RD and with little to not much offensive ability, and who cant run a PP).

Russell isn't right shot, but plays the right side pretty well for a leftie.

1) It limits our ability to acquire a 2nd pairing RD who actually fits our needs because we dont have the cap space AND/OR Chairelli already has it in his head Russell in the man for the 2nd pairing RD spot

We needed Russell last year. That's gotta play into the evaluation.

2) With limited cap space we have to make a number of bad trades to free up cap space. IE Eberle for Strome. So the contract has already hurt us

Interesting analysis. Doubtful Eberle would still be with the team. Also contradicts with your Mike Green point before.

Bonus #3) Russell destroys the stats of everyone he plays with, including Sekera last year, McDavid for the past 2 years and Benning last year. A rough estimate for the total points Russell has costed McDavid by having non-existent break out pass ability is around 30 over the past 2 seasons (using McDavids stats away from Russell and prorated over all his minutes)

The Oilers would be much better off with someone like Mike Green getting 5+ million but actually fitting our needs

Green is a pretty solid 4/5 tweener. Not sure about the stats? Can't rebut such a general statement but Russell definitely earned his money last season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Russell isn't right shot, but plays the right side pretty well for a leftie.

We needed Russell last year. That's gotta play into the evaluation.

Interesting analysis. Doubtful Eberle would still be with the team. Also contradicts with your Mike Green point before.

Green is a pretty solid 4/5 tweener. Not sure about the stats? Can't rebut such a general statement but Russell definitely earned his money last season.

He doesnt play the right side very well at all on the 2nd pairing. He is passable on the left side on the second pairing, he drowns on the right side 2nd pairing (unless paired with Sekera to keep the pairing afloat)

We needed any D last year to replace Sekeras injury. So I guess we did need Russell, but as we saw what happened, we needed someone alot better than Russell to man the second pairing (which hes not capable of doing)

I didnt mean to say wed have both Green and Eberle. Itd be either or, and both options would be better than Russell minus Eberle- which it what we have now. If we didnt sign Lucic than we could have both Green and Eberle, a far superior option

I would not call Green a tweener, he can either anchor a 2nd pairing and make it a solid one regardless of the partner, or with another guy like Sekera could turn it into a really good one. The other relam where Russell "earned" the 4 million was because he had to deal with alot more due to Sekera being injured. The results were defiantly not 4 million worth, but the difficulty of the job is something a D getting 4 million would handle. As the stats have shown for 2 years now, Russell is McDavids greatest kryptonite. Not sure how I feel about giving 4 million and prime minutes to a D who costs the NHLs best player so many points each year by being so poor at breakout passes

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The funny thing about the argument that we needed Russell to replace Sekera is that the expectation was that Sekera's replacement would be one of Nurse or Klefbom. Russell actually started the year on the third pairing.

Reactions: Aerrol

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Chia drops an F-bomb on camera while seemingly impaired at the draft.
That was the vibe I got as well.
I'm sure he wasn't impaired because what kind of a GM drinks on draft day, but ...
The funniest thing is CHIA INTENDED to drop that F Bomb. It was so scripted. Look I can slur and swear at the Draft. As if he's some rebel without a cause. Or clue, apparently.
Again, I agree. The way he said it did not seem accidental at all. Extremely unprofessional whether he intended to say it or not. I thought this was a man who was supposed to be clever. The last three times I've seen him speak in public were not impressive at all. I know we all get labelled as 'haters', but I honestly had no preconceptions about Chiarelli prior to him taking the job in Edmonton. I was hopeful, and expected him to be a lot better than what he has shown. It really is a shame the way he has let the fans in Edmonton down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was the vibe I got as well.
I'm sure he wasn't impaired because what kind of a GM drinks on draft day, but ...
Again, I agree. The way he said it did not seem accidental at all. Extremely unprofessional whether he intended to say it or not. I thought this was a man who was supposed to be clever. The last three times I've seen him speak in public were not impressive at all. I know we all get labelled as 'haters', but I honestly had no preconceptions about Chiarelli prior to him taking the job in Edmonton. I was hopeful, and expected him to be a lot better than what he has shown. It really is a shame the way he has let the fans in Edmonton down.

This is the Oilers org. I'm assuming drinks are happening at some point. I figured the interview was after a draft round thus me thinking he'd had a few from the slightly slurred speech. Plus this is the first time I've heard Chia in a year being jovial and extroverted. Normally he sounds depressed and annoyed. I doubt these guys are tea totaling out there.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I imagine most hockey guys are potty mouths :) Kevin Lowe has multiple swears in the documentary for building the 2010 (or 2014, I forget) Canadian Olympic hockey team, including an f-bomb when explaining to everyone that Perry and Getzlaf play well together (genius).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

On the 2nd anniversary of the trade, it's a good time to remind everyone that Peter Chiarelli should never work in hockey again.

Should have been on probation after the Wheeler trade and fired into the sun after the Seguin trade. Amazing how he can keep a job, I am actually really impressed. Basically inherits a team that just has one of the best offseasons in the past 20 years (Lucic, Kessel, Marchand drafted, Chara and Savard signed as UFA) to go with a young Bergeron and Krecji. That core goes on to win him the cup, with a few minor pieces Chiarelli picked up here and there. Chiarelli goes on to trade 3 skilled forwards and sign depth players to overpayments and put them in cap hell. Once this sinks one team, he goes to another team and inherits a generational prospect. He then goes on to do the exact same thing and trade 2 skilled forwards and sign nearly everyone to overpayments and put the Oilers in a cap issue situation

I aspire to be as bad at something as Chiarelli is at Generally Managing a team and still see the red carpet laid out of for me as Pistol Pete does

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Should have been on probation after the Wheeler trade and fired into the sun after the Seguin trade. Amazing how he can keep a job, I am actually really impressed. Basically inherits a team that just has one of the best offseasons in the past 20 years (Lucic, Kessel, Marchand drafted, Chara and Savard signed as UFA) to go with a young Bergeron and Krecji. That core goes on to win him the cup, with a few minor pieces Chiarelli picked up here and there. Chiarelli goes on to trade 3 skilled forwards and sign depth players to overpayments and put them in cap hell. Once this sinks one team, he goes to another team and inherits a generational prospect. He then goes on to do the exact same thing and trade 2 skilled forwards and sign nearly everyone to overpayments and put the Oilers in a cap issue situation

I aspire to be as bad at something as Chiarelli is at Generally Managing a team and still see the red carpet laid out of for me as Pistol Pete does
At least this will be his last GM job. I wouldn't wish Chiarelli on my worst enemy.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
At least this will be his last GM job. I wouldn't wish Chiarelli on my worst enemy.

The perfect thing would be if Calgary wasnt good in the next 2 years and fired Treliving. I could see them picking up Chiarelli if/when hes fired. He could cause some real havoc with that roster.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Should have been on probation after the Wheeler trade and fired into the sun after the Seguin trade. Amazing how he can keep a job, I am actually really impressed. Basically inherits a team that just has one of the best offseasons in the past 20 years (Lucic, Kessel, Marchand drafted, Chara and Savard signed as UFA) to go with a young Bergeron and Krecji. That core goes on to win him the cup, with a few minor pieces Chiarelli picked up here and there.
minor? Chara, Horton, Recchi, Boychuk, Ference, Seidenberg, McQuaid, Kaberle
how is this still a narrative? lol
Chiarelli goes on to trade 3 skilled forwards and sign depth players to overpayments and put them in cap hell. Once this sinks one team, he goes to another team and inherits a generational prospect. He then goes on to do the exact same thing and trade 2 skilled forwards and sign nearly everyone to overpayments and put the Oilers in a cap issue situation

he sunk the Bruins? they've never won less than 41 games since 2009-10

yeah, really "sunk" them lol

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

How are you crediting him for Chara when he wasn't GM when they signed him. LOL.

The rest of those pieces are all either complimentary part s at best or were actual flops.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Go ask Bruins fans what they think about Chiarelli. They warned us and we didn't listen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Plus a lot of their current resurrgence is with players from the Chiarelli era. ie Pastrnak, Krug, Heinen, Miller. A lot of their current success came of moves by the new management as well, but I'm just saying it's not as simple as saying that Chiarelli was the problem in Boston.

At any rate, it shouldn't matter. If he were bad in Boston, that shouldn't mean he should be fired in Edmonton, and if he were good in Boston it shouldn't give him special credit

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Chara was signed under Gorton. He did pick up other middle line players, but Lucic/Bergeron/Krecji drove that team offensively. They were the 3 leading scorers and Krecji/Bergeron dominated int he playoffs when they won the cup. Chara was a beast on D and Tim Thomas was insane (and not a Chiarelli find). On and Gorton got Rask as well

Chiarelli has found some good players here like Sekera/Letestu last year/Kassian/Maroon. But his knack for finding solid middle line and 3rd line players in trades doesnt outweigh his issues with trading away top line skill and overpayments throughout the roster

He put them in cap hell, he turned a stanley cup winner into non playoff team. he didnt cripple the Bruins like he has with the Oilers, but relative to what the team once was, he imploded that team. He also destroyed what could have been a dynasty. The Bruins had found gems in later rounders with Marchand/Bergeron/Lucic/Krecji and had elite level goaltending for year. That team could have been a force if they had kept Seguin, Wheeler and not sunk themselves with the cap and overpaying vets

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How are you crediting him for Chara when he wasn't GM when they signed him. LOL.

The rest of those pieces are all either complimentary part s at best or were actual flops.
because it's well known Chara signed due to relationships forged when Chiarelli was an assistant GM in Ottawa and Chara was there

and I guess the last GM that should receive any credit for winning the Cup is Dean Lombardi...since Washington and Pittsburgh and Chicago's GM all won due to others building a core...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
because it's well known Chara signed due to relationships forged when Chiarelli was an assistant GM in Ottawa and Chara was there

So you're literally giving credit to Chia for simply existing here.

and I guess the last GM that should receive any credit for winning the Cup is Dean Lombardi...since Washington and Pittsburgh and Chicago's GM all won due to other building a core...

There's a lesson in there but I don't think it's the one you think it is.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Plus a lot of their current resurrgence is with players from the Chiarelli era. ie Pastrnak, Krug, Heinen, Miller. A lot of their current success came of moves by the new management as well, but I'm just saying it's not as simple as saying that Chiarelli was the problem in Boston.

At any rate, it shouldn't matter. If he were bad in Boston, that shouldn't mean he should be fired in Edmonton, and if he were good in Boston it shouldn't give him special credit

Because the exact same moves he made in Boston hes making here. Remember all of the Bruins fans that came in the Chiarelli thread to discuss Chiarellis issues in a level headed manner, presenting a ton of insight. Remember how Oiler fans laughed them off saying that Chiarelli wouldnt do that here, and now he is doing those exact things here? Oh the bitter taste of karma

It is extremely relevant Chiarelli did in Boston, because humans dont really change much. He is not going to be a new person here. I mean that is why employers ask for references when you apply for a job. Because if you were bad at your old job, you arent likely to turn it around at the new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce