#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
That's pretty stupid, because you get a point, so the simpler thing would be to split them, take the total OT/SO losses, and make half wins (because you get a point) and half loses (Because you only get 1 point).

22 of the 31 teams in the league right now have a winning record by this standard. What does a winning record mean if you can be the 10th worst team in the league with a winning record?

Stuff like this leaves me thinking that decade of dark wasn't utterly undeserved.

No reason to be a dick about it, especially before you answer my question at the start of this post.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm not sure if having (Barzal), (Beauvillier), let's say John Quenneville, and let's say another second would make a big difference right now.....but it would sure be nice. That would be the frustrating part for me; that the cupboards seem needlessly sparse.

I'd also have wanted less term and money on Draisaitl and Russell.....and this just rolls of the tongue when they start out 4-8-1.

Reactions: Dawn Wall

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I'm not sure if having (Barzal), (Beauvillier), let's say John Quenneville, and let's say another second would make a big difference right now.....but it would sure be nice. That would be the frustrating part for me; that the cupboards seem needlessly sparse.

I'd also have wanted less term and money on Draisaitl and Russell.....and this just rolls of the tongue when they start out 4-8-1.

On point. In a draft where many teams got stacked on depth, we got waiver-reinhart.
And I think most of us were willing to move forward, the deals this summer are legit concerns

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Okay, playing devil's advocate, wouldn't you prefer Hall, Eberle and Pouliot to Strome, Jokinen and Larsson?

Actually, it's 16M of Hall, Eberle and Pouliot vs. 7.5M of Larsson, Strome and Jokinen to make it cap relevant, or I guess 8.5M+ if you include Pouliot's buyout caphut. But then again, 10M of Lucic and Russell so....
Kind of hard to defend Chia right now but I sure as hell hope that the Oilers start winning some games so the fake fans can go away. It was nice when they weren't here last spring.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I got so much **** this offseason for saying I wanted him fired. I don't think any Oilers GM has ever had a worse summer than Chia did.
I hate that I'm taking the bait here, but explain what could've been done...

The Oilers needed to re-sign their two most important players long-term. In turn, he had to ensure their cap situation was manageable long-term.

So...let's see your realistic plan in hindsight.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
On point. In a draft where many teams got stacked on depth, we got waiver-reinhart.
And I think most of us were willing to move forward, the deals this summer are legit concerns

But in his defence.....I love Larsson....Sekera.....Maroon....Talbot.....Kassian. If that was just a one-off cinderella team than so be it. It was a great team...IMO. A team that really deserved another round in the playoffs. Legitimately deserved it.

and also....when was the last time an Oiler GM was treated with kid gloves by the rest of the league? (Doug Weight? Ales Hemsky? Jeff Petry? I mean when did they ever get value back in a trade?)

I also think the team looked like it could handle the "thinning" on the forward group.....and needed a year to develop some of the young forwards. But if they really bottom out.....it will be on chia's head that they have scraps to show for it.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Okay, playing devil's advocate, wouldn't you prefer Hall, Eberle and Pouliot to Strome, Jokinen and Larsson?
Ok I'll play along:
Larsson over Hall all day every day. No question.
Eberle vs Strome return hasn't been great so far, but if you think Eberle gets them more than 1 maaaaybe 2 points extra this year I'd strongly disagree. The ability to play him at C is a plus.
Pouliot vs Jokinen. Who cares? Pouliot is notorious for playing great in contract years and then fading so he'd likely be as effective as Jokinen has while taking a bunch of extra penalties.

My turn. Talbot or Scrivens/Fasth/Bryzgalov? Sekera or Fayne/Nikitin? Maroon or Pouliot?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ok I'll play along:
Larsson over Hall all day every day. No question.
Eberle vs Strome return hasn't been great so far, but if you think Eberle gets them more than 1 maaaaybe 2 points extra this year I'd strongly disagree. The ability to play him at C is a plus.
Pouliot vs Jokinen. Who cares? Pouliot is notorious for playing great in contract years and then fading so he'd likely be as effective as Jokinen has while taking a bunch of extra penalties.

My turn. Talbot or Scrivens/Fasth/Bryzgalov? Sekera or Fayne/Nikitin? Maroon or Pouliot? Kassian or Klinkhammer?

Playoffs vs the draft lottery.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Can’t we just try a new coach/asst coach first?

As an interim for the rest of the season? Maybe.

No reason to hire a permanent coach if Chia is gonna get canned in the off-season. Makes sense the new GM would want to bring in his own guy.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I hate that I'm taking the bait here, but explain what could've been done...

The Oilers needed to re-sign their two most important players long-term. In turn, he had to ensure their cap situation was manageable long-term.

So...let's see your realistic plan in hindsight.
-Sign Draisaitl to a bridge deal so he could prove that he can drive his own line before he gets paid 8.5mil/yr
-Let Russell walk
-Acquire someone like Hjalmersson, Hamonic, or Demers
-Acquire a stopgap LHD until Sekera returns
-Keep Eberle unless a satisfactory deal can be reached (include him in a Hamonic trade maybe)
Keep Pouliot
-Sign/acquire a RW

Literally the only thing he did right this summer was McDavid's contract and that was a slam dunk. None of this is in hindsight either, going into the summer I wanted us to dump Russell, acquire a legit top 4 RHD, and sign a decent RW. I didn't like the Drai, Eberle, Russell, or Pouliot moves when they happened.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
-Sign Draisaitl to a bridge deal so he could prove that he can drive his own line before he gets paid 8.5mil/yr
-Let Russell walk
-Acquire someone like Hjalmersson, Hamonic, or Demers
-Acquire a stopgap LHD until Sekera returns
-Keep Eberle unless a satisfactory deal can be reached (include him in a Hamonic trade maybe)
Keep Pouliot
-Sign/acquire a RW

Literally the only thing he did right this summer was McDavid's contract and that was a slam dunk. None of this is in hindsight either, going into the summer I wanted us to dump Russell, acquire a legit top 4 RHD, and sign a decent RW. I didn't like the Drai, Eberle, Russell, or Pouliot moves when they happened.

I think signing Draisaitl to a bridge deal probably blows up in your face to be honest.

He's on a 80+ point pace, if that increases to 90 points, he would ask for Eichel money ($10 mill per) when the bridge is up and you're screwed.

We'd be over the cap with Eberle + Pouliot + McDavid's bonuses too, so there's that problem too.

Honestly the bigger mistakes were the two summer's prior. Not moving Eberle for a Kessel when he was available and moving Hall out of desperation were bad moves. Eberle, Pouliot ... these guys are not good enough to get the team out of the funk it is in now, you need better players than that.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I think signing Draisaitl to a bridge deal probably blows up in your face to be honest.

He's on a 80+ point pace, if that increases to 90 points, he would ask for Eichel money ($10 mill per) when the bridge is up and you're screwed.

We'd be over the cap with Eberle + Pouliot + McDavid's bonuses too, so there's that problem too.
No way he scores 80+ points away from McDavid. Pastrnak signed for 6.67 this summer and Drai is much closer to him than he is to Eichel.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No way he scores 80+ points away from McDavid. Pastrnak signed for 6.67 this summer and Drai is much closer to him than he is to Eichel.

There's no one better to play on the RW, unless you're going to hold the coach at gun point and tell him to purposely ice a weaker lineup so that you can save a few bucks on cap room. It's not realistic. He plays better with McDavid than anyone on the roster, he's going to get his time there, there's no two ways around that.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
There's no one better to play on the RW, unless you're going to hold the coach at gun point and tell him to purposely ice a weaker lineup so that you can save a few bucks on cap room. It's not realistic. He plays better with McDavid than anyone on the roster, he's going to get his time there, there's no two ways around that.
Chiarelli should have acquired a competent RW then. We shouldn't be paying Drai 8.5mil/yr if he's going to be McDavid's sidekick. If you're cap hit is top 15 in the league you better be driving your own line.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chiarelli should have acquired a competent RW then. We shouldn't be paying Drai 8.5mil/yr if he's going to be McDavid's sidekick. If you're cap hit is top 15 in the league you better be driving your own line.

Who even cares, he's a good player, you pay those players. Do Tampa fans cry about Stamkos + Kucherov playing better together? The problems are elsewhere, beginning with your second line and $6 million dollars of Lucic.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Who even cares, he's a good player, you pay those players. Do Tampa fans cry about Stamkos + Kucherov playing better together? The problems are elsewhere, beginning with your second line and $6 million dollars of Lucic.
He's a good player but he doesn't deserve what he's being paid. That extra 2mil he's getting is going to make a big difference when we're up against the cap and all of these bad contracts Chia's signing are starting to add up.

Reactions: thadd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad