#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a good player but he doesn't deserve what he's being paid. That extra 2mil he's getting is going to make a big difference when we're up against the cap and all of these bad contracts Chia's signing are starting to add up.

He's worth way more than $6 per. That's RNH and Lucic money and he's way better than both of those players. He's overpaid by maybe 500k.

Chia just needs to be fired, that's all there is to it with regards to the rest of the roster, but Leon I don't worry about. Long term I think that contract will actually become a bargain.

When Yamamoto is more seasoned he and Leon will be able to drive a line together.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He's worth way more than $6 per. That's RNH and Lucic money and he's way better than both of those players. He's overpaid by maybe 500k.

Chia just needs to be fired, that's all there is to it with regards to the rest of the roster, but Leon I don't worry about. Long term I think that contract will actually become a bargain.

When Yamamoto is more seasoned he and Leon will be able to drive a line together.
Drai's point totals away from Hall and McDavid are troubling. I wouldn't have given him more than 7-7.5.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai's point totals away from Hall and McDavid are troubling. I wouldn't have given him more than 7-7.5.

There was no way he was going to take that much less than McDavid. McDavid needed to come down from his ask, there's no need to be paid $2 million more than the next highest paid player at this point in your life.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Barzal-13 points
Eberle- 11 points
Pouliot- 6 points and valuable PKer
Also, it's depressing to see the players that were available with that 2nd round pick that was sent to the Islanders.

I hate Eberle, but we had no replacements.

Reactions: Dawn Wall

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Barzal-13 points
Eberle- 11 points
Pouliot- 6 points and valuable PKer
Also, it's depressing to see the players that were available with that 2nd round pick that was sent to the Islanders.

I hate Eberle, but we had no replacements.

Worst thing is that we KNEW Reinhart was a bust, Strome was a meh depth player and Eberle had a unlucky year. Its not even revisionist history. Its like seeing a 5 year old go to touch a hit stove- you know hes going to get burned and after you just have to laugh

Reinhart was meh in the AHL and with significant skating issues stemming from junior you knew he was a Tuebert clone. Strome had 3 seasons with poor production as well.

Itd be cool to see a Fire Chiarelli chant next game

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Bandwagoneers.

As opposed to blind followers? Come on man
Can fans not voice their opinions? Are fans not the ones who keep this team running?

Plain and simple, Chia has done a bad job. If I did a bad job where I work I would also be fired. Hockey execs are not gods who we must blindfully follow, if they make more bad decisions than good decisions they deserve the boot.

Our fans deserve a lot better.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I hate that I'm taking the bait here, but explain what could've been done...

The Oilers needed to re-sign their two most important players long-term. In turn, he had to ensure their cap situation was manageable long-term.

So...let's see your realistic plan in hindsight.

So why sign Russel to the albatross deal?

He also had to
- Find a legit NHL replacement for Sekera
- Find a reliable #3C
- Solidify secondary scoring

Saying he had the ENTIRE offseason to sign two players just isnt going to cut it. As a GM of an NHL franchise you are set to a higher standard.
Also, he overpaid for Leon agree or disagree. Pastrnak signed 6 years at almost 2 million less. So he didnt even do that great of a job at the tasks he did decide to do.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Playoffs came when we added three of our top four defensemen.

Im assuming you mean: Sekera, Russel and Larsson?

- Sekera chose us on all acounts due to the McDavid allure
- No teams offered Russ a long term deal after seeing that Russel decided he wanted to be in Alberta, Calgary didnt want him. Leaving us. Easy signing, stupid resigning.
- You had an asset like Hall, getting Larsson was not a coup, actually its the contrary.

To be fair the Benning signing was great, but he isnt a top4 Dman.

Chia is simply not good.

PS: Don't mean to pick on you alone belair, lol I guess we just disagree on many points.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
There was no way he was going to take that much less than McDavid. McDavid needed to come down from his ask, there's no need to be paid $2 million more than the next highest paid player at this point in your life.
McDavid deserves 15mil, he's taken a discount. Drai's the one who should have taken the discount, considering he's done f*** all away from Connor and Taylor. A fair deal based off of comparable players would have been 7mil.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid deserves 15mil, he's taken a discount. Drai's the one who should have taken the discount, considering he's done **** all away from Connor and Taylor. A fair deal based off of comparable players would have been 7mil.

Both should have taken less money. If McDavid wants 15 he needs to learn to shoot the puck and score more than 30-35 goals.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To be honest these threads bore me to tears after so many years of constant negativity. The Oilers are 13 games removed from a second round game 7 and there's already been multiple threads calling for personnel changes. Talk about an entitled group of fans. So yes, bandwagoneers. It's possible to discuss something you disagree with without picking up a torch or calling someone a #turd. Leave that for the kids.

@StevenF1919 I tried to respond to your post and had it nearly complete but my browser crashed deleting half of the response. To add to Soundwave's critique, offering Draisaitl a bridge deal after a 77 point campaign and leading the team in playoff scoring would've been an insult to him. There was also the very real possibility of the offer-sheet which was discussed at lengths in the off-season, which ties into the Eberle trade and Pouliot buyout which I was not a fan of either, but ultimately accepted.

Russell, again... 20 min D in the playoffs. Comparable matchups all last season to Klefbom/Larsson. Takes a $900k raise. Look at the available UFA options in the summer...some very bad defensemen got term. Kulikov and Alzner were the best D available. Hamonic wasn't an option (would've cost us Yamamoto++), Hjalmarsson neither (we didn't have a Murphy to give them). Top 4 RD on good contracts are just as difficult to acquire as they were prior to Larsson. That hasn't changed.

I agree with the RW critique. I wanted Justin Williams. Brian Gionta. Still want Josh Leivo. I'll take Ales Hemsky, Matt Read, Joe Colborne for cap dumps. Chiarelli really needs to address this position. But honestly, in a summer with a very weak UFA crop and two very important contracts to get done internally, staying away from another big UFA signing was the best thing he could've done.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
To be honest these threads bore me to tears after so many years of constant negativity. The Oilers are 13 games removed from a second round game 7 and there's already been multiple threads calling for personnel changes. Talk about an entitled group of fans. So yes, bandwagoneers. It's possible to discuss something you disagree with without picking up a torch or calling someone a #turd. Leave that for the kids.
thats cause everyone here are hindsight geniuses
literally no one was calling for his head over the summer and into training camp..now he's suddenly awful at his job

he's not perfect and made some mistakes (Reinhart deal) but he deserves a little slack for turning around a team that was 29th on the league to game 7 of the 2nd round..

so far all of his "Bets" have failed...Strome, Slepy, Caggulia, Benning have all had poor years

couple that with Klefbom forgetting how to defend and Talbot forgetting how to stop a puck, is a recipe for disaster

but this team isn't that bad IF they can get some great goaltending and their special teams get a whole lot better

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Perfect thread for the mods to lock up in my opinion.

I've read so many posts similar to this by you

Dude, you're not a mod, and I hope to god you never will be since you seem to love thinking you are
The Oilers have won 82 regular season games and lost 95 since Chia took over. OT losses are still losses.

The Oilers were 28th when Chia took over the team and they are now 30th.

At least use facts when trying to justify your homerism.

Become a mod then...

No thanks, don't need this dude power tripping

Last edited:
Reactions: shoop

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Im assuming you mean: Sekera, Russel and Larsson?

- Sekera chose us on all acounts due to the McDavid allure
- No teams offered Russ a long term deal after seeing that Russel decided he wanted to be in Alberta, Calgary didnt want him. Leaving us. Easy signing, stupid resigning.
- You had an asset like Hall, getting Larsson was not a coup, actually its the contrary.

To be fair the Benning signing was great, but he isnt a top4 Dman.

Chia is simply not good.

PS: Don't mean to pick on you alone belair, lol I guess we just disagree on many points.
Yes I mean exactly those three. You added Benning, too, who I'm not entirely sold on but was still a good signing nonetheless. Regardless of why the players chose to play here or what it took to get them--that top four got is into the playoffs for the first time since Chris Pronger was an Oiler.

Chiarelli did what his predecessors were completely incapable of: Iced a legitimate NHL defense, acquired a legitimate NHL starting goaltender and built a playoff contending hockey team.

And don't worry...please pick on me. I'll call out bullshit when I smell it. A day after McDavid's line takes a game off and we lose 4-0 and Mat Barzal has a Sam Gagner game against a lottery team...here's a new thread from a fairweather fan.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
so it's all McDavid for the Oilers being good last year..but all Chia's fault for the Oilers sucking this year

seems legit

Look, ill make this clear, Chia did alright last year but what I'm scared of is how he sets this team up for the future. I have zero faith in him to build a roster and manage a cap and all you have to do is look at his terrible trade history and cap managment skills. Boston fans wanted this guy gone, and now hes our problem.

So many of you give credit for what Chia's done last year, well guess what, thats the past now and he failed miserably in the summer and his deals and contracts are already starting to show that this guy isn't the guy to take us to a Cup.

But yes, everyone that supports Chiarelli is a bangwagon Oilers fan. I guess thats better than being a blind sheep.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Look, ill make this clear, Chia did alright last year but what I'm scared of is how he sets this team up for the future. I have zero faith in him to build a roster and manage a cap and all you have to do is look at his terrible trade history and cap managment skills. Boston fans wanted this guy gone, and now hes our problem.

So many of you give credit for what Chia's done last year, well guess what, thats the past now and he failed miserably in the summer and his deals and contracts are already starting to show that this guy isn't the guy to take us to a Cup.

But yes, everyone that supports Chiarelli is a bangwagon Oilers fan. I guess thats better than being a blind sheep.
You're upset he didn't go out and spend a bunch of assets for stop gaps which would of put us in cap hell.
And if he did all that and when we end up in cap hell, you would still complain.

So I think moral of the story here, is you just like to complain.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
thats cause everyone here are hindsight geniuses
literally no one was calling for his head over the summer and into training camp..now he's suddenly awful at his job

he's not perfect and made some mistakes (Reinhart deal) but he deserves a little slack for turning around a team that was 29th on the league to game 7 of the 2nd round..

so far all of his "Bets" have failed...Strome, Slepy, Caggulia, Benning have all had poor years

couple that with Klefbom forgetting how to defend and Talbot forgetting how to stop a puck, is a recipe for disaster

but this team isn't that bad IF they can get some great goaltending and their special teams get a whole lot better

We agree.

Chia's failing is basically on Klefbom and Talbot.

And to those who think the grass is greener....i mean maybe....but again when has Edmonton ever had a big trader.....ever....Edmonton gets poached again and again and again to the point that I'm not even sure a new manager would get a better result.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Are we blaming Chia that the entire bottom six, which many thought was among the best built in the league before the season, isn't performing?

Are we blaming Chia because Klefbom has been a bum all year?

Are we blaming Chia because Talbot looks like bad Dubnyk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->