#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Chia had two jobs this summer.

1. Sign McDavid to max extension
2. Sign Drai to max extension

Nothing else mattered going into the offseason.

My only significant criticisms of Chia to date are:

- Reinhart trade
- drafting JP over Sergachev (who by all accounts was to be taken if Columbus had taken JP).

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Funny enough K. Lowe had some good deals and he was usually dealing from a position of weakness (salary or just bad club).
Maybe Chia stays to do the press conferences and they move towards more of a committee for GM'ing, seriously Chia is bad at trades, his track record is horrible.
And also remove contract negotiation from his portfolio too, perhaps hire Drai's agent...

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Are we blaming Chia that the entire bottom six, which many thought was among the best built in the league before the season, isn't performing?

Are we blaming Chia because Klefbom has been a bum all year?

Are we blaming Chia because Talbot looks like bad Dubnyk?
or the PK being an absolute embarassment
or the PP being awful despite having the exact same personnel as last year

Reactions: nabob

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
or the PK being an absolute embarassment
or the PP being awful despite having the exact same personnel as last year
And on, and on....

The team has also had a significantly tougher schedule than last season out of the gate. And as I've posted previously, we lost a lot of these games last year to the same opponents.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
#3 Wheeler #16Hall #22 Kessel #23 Seguin these are current position of players in the scoring race that were traded by Chia Larsson is the only player active for these teams all 3 other stars teams have zilch for trading these players. Chia cannot be allowed to trade anymore . He is Milbury bad.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Chia had two jobs this summer.

1. Sign McDavid to max extension
2. Sign Drai to max extension

Nothing else mattered going into the offseason.

My only significant criticisms of Chia to date are:

- Reinhart trade
- drafting JP over Sergachev (who by all accounts was to be taken if Columbus had taken JP).

Disagree

Reactions: ToddsBod

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
So we should of just stayed the same and never done a single trade. Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak should of all been untradeable. Should of stuck with that core until the end of times.

Because they are so f***ing god like eh

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
so who takes over? Lowe or MacT?

BUMAKAz.gif

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So we should of just stayed the same and never done a single trade. Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak should of all been untradeable. Should of stuck with that core until the end of times.

Because they are so ****ing god like eh

Eberle should have been traded in summer 2015 for Kessel. Hall should have been identified as a core piece and retained. D should have been added over time and Sergachev taken in the 2016 draft.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Eberle should have been traded in summer 2015 for Kessel. Hall should have been identified as a core piece and retained. D should have been added over time and Sergachev taken in the 2016 draft.

Pretty easy looking at the past and saying we should've done that!

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

Because they are so ****ing god like eh
Personally my anger at Chia comes from the following:
- Sekera was injured going into the season. No trade or signing other than Auvitu.
- Banking on multiple career years to continue (Benning, Maroon, Draisaitl, etc.)
- Russel’s contract is an abomination.
- Lucic’s contract is 4 years too long.
- Buying out Pouliot. One of our top PKers. One of our fastest players. The move also takes away 1mill+ of cap space next season when McDavids contract kicks in.
- Worst PK and Worst PP in the league. No changing to coaching staff.

This off season or maybe this season we will say good bye to RNH. We will get poor value because we have no leverage.

Without McDavid on this team how many wins do we have? 1? 2? What happens next year when we have even less cap space?

This team is going downhill. Another old boys club.

Reactions: Dawn Wall

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
#3 Wheeler #16Hall #22 Kessel #23 Seguin these are current position of players in the scoring race that were traded by Chia Larsson is the only player active for these teams all 3 other stars teams have zilch for trading these players. Chia cannot be allowed to trade anymore . He is Milbury bad.
This is why you can't get tunnel-visioned on players. Especially in the salary cap era. You see boards talking about cores of their team stretching several lines wide, consisting of 8-10 players. Realistically if you want to maintain a deep, competitive hockey team, you have to trade away some important players sometimes. Chiarelli has that group of players he's traded because he's been at the helm of some competitive hockey teams. We are one, currently playing some very uninspired hockey.

Question though. Those teams that Chiarelli traded those four marquee players to: how many playoff games have they won while their teams have had them? Altogether--only a few more than Pete has Championship rings on his fingers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

nchmKO8K.png

In my defence, I traded Wheeler so many star players ago that I don't even remember doing it.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yes I mean exactly those three. You added Benning, too, who I'm not entirely sold on but was still a good signing nonetheless. Regardless of why the players chose to play here or what it took to get them--that top four got is into the playoffs for the first time since Chris Pronger was an Oiler.

Chiarelli did what his predecessors were completely incapable of: Iced a legitimate NHL defense, acquired a legitimate NHL starting goaltender and built a playoff contending hockey team.

And don't worry...please pick on me. I'll call out bull**** when I smell it. A day after McDavid's line takes a game off and we lose 4-0 and Mat Barzal has a Sam Gagner game against a lottery team...here's a new thread from a fairweather fan.

I've never wanted to hire Chia and was against it from the very beginning. So obviously in still against him. Win or lose won't change my opinion. We will not win a cup under Chia.
Again an average NHL gm could have done what he did and likely without ruining our cap as well as losing value on many trades.

Also, what's up with calling other posters "bandwagoners" and "fair weather fans" because they disagree with your opinion? Stop drinking the koolaid, judge the situation from an unbiased pov. You'll see what we see, a golden opportunity being squandered by an incompetent general manager.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Are we blaming Chia that the entire bottom six, which many thought was among the best built in the league before the season, isn't performing?

Are we blaming Chia because Klefbom has been a bum all year?

Are we blaming Chia because Talbot looks like bad Dubnyk?

No we are blaming Chia for not doing his job.

Our bottom6 has always been lackluster I have no clue what you're talking about there. JJ was a decent gamble to be fair.
We're missing one of our best dmen to an ACL injury and we sign Avitu to replace him
And we have lacked secondary scoring since the Hall trade and there has been zero attempt to improve it.

We are also blaming Chia for losing value on trades and handing out depth crippling contracts.

It's called accountability

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This is why you can't get tunnel-visioned on players. Especially in the salary cap era. You see boards talking about cores of their team stretching several lines wide, consisting of 8-10 players. Realistically if you want to maintain a deep, competitive hockey team, you have to trade away some important players sometimes. Chiarelli has that group of players he's traded because he's been at the helm of some competitive hockey teams. We are one, currently playing some very uninspired hockey.

Question though. Those teams that Chiarelli traded those four marquee players to: how many playoff games have they won while their teams have had them? Altogether--only a few more than Pete has Championship rings on his fingers.
Or maybe Chia has no idea who a keeper is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They could have a new All-Star game format soon ...

"Players Peter Chiarelli Has Traded Away Vs. Everyone Else".

Wheeler, Seguin, Hall, Kessel are gonna be All-Stars this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The top nine of players Chia traded/passed on actually would be a pretty killer team, lol.

Wheeler Seguin Kessel
Hall Barzal Eberle
Pouliot Desharnais Yakupov

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawn Wall

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ok so step 1 is fire chia
Who will replace him?

Paul Fenton from Nashville would be a good choice. Honestly don't need Einstein, there is still McDavid + Draisaitl here. Just someone who's not going to do something stupid and continually trade players and is averse to skill on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad