Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
If it’s a development year, shouldn’t Hayton be getting more stability and ice time? Shouldn’t Soda be in the lineup?

shouldn’t we see him talking to young players at any point?

Tocchet doesn’t have a clue on development.

I hope the new assistants can pick up the slack.
I suspect this is because this staff doesnt view this season as just a development year. I think they believe this roster can compete for a playoff spot (which I agree with).

I think they are handling Hayton just fine up until this point. He has shown signs of improvement...still a long way to go with him, but I like what I have seen so far.

Reactions: PuckLife

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No D, No goal tending, 2 great players, the rest way below average except for RNH. They have had Eakins/McClellen/Hitch/Tip, don't think the problem is the coach:)
You spent half a decade defending what a great job he did with our terrible roster. He made them so much better than they were. I mean without Tipp just imagine how bad our 56 point season would have been.He only needs a few offensive players.

Lol

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
yup, then when Demers and Goose are moved at the TDL it'll give both NHL ice time the final 3rd of the season.
I would like to see Capo, Gross and Soderstrom play getting regular minutes to see what we have, but they might end up in the A, unless BA makes a couple of trades like you mentioned.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You spent half a decade defending what a great job he did with our terrible roster. He made them so much better than they were. I mean without Tipp just imagine how bad our 56 point season would have been.He only needs a few offensive players.

Lol
Pick one bad year LOL....RT is way worse, no question about it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Interesting to think about though (and not giving the benefit of the doubt to Tippett, 8 game sample size aside):

For the North and Central, there is a unique challenge in that there is a lack of familiarity with many of the teams that they have to face. Take Dallas, as an example. They have to play against 5 teams that the Stars would otherwise see only twice a year in Tampa, Florida, Detroit, Columbus, and Carolina. I wonder how much of a challenge that represents for teams who may not be as aware of the strengths of those teams, simply because of minimal exposure.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Really, who cares. When we have good talent coming up, then hire a highly paid name coach. RT is just a caretaker.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Lol
Did DT crap on your porch, piss in your Cheerio’s? For the love of God man, tell us what went down? :laugh:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Fact: Rick Tocchet's rebuilding squad has more points than Dino Dave's "today's game is the only thing that matters" Oilers with a game in hand.
Ill bet you a drink RT is out as coach before DT is? DT can't over come their poor goal tending, no coach can. You can't possibly be defending RT after 8 games?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Quick Reminder: if the season ended tomorrow, our forfeited 1st would have had the 4th best odds in the lottery:

NHL Stats

Yep. 4th worst P% in NHL.

Don't make me put you on the ignore list.

One of the main reasons I want them to make the playoffs is because of this. I finally looked at the standings today and was thoroughly bummed at how low we are but we also have played 2-3 less than a lot of teams.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don't make me put you on the ignore list.

One of the main reasons I want them to make the playoffs is because of this. I finally looked at the standings today and was thoroughly bummed at how low we are but we also have played 2-3 less than a lot of teams.
With the crazy covid stuff, we really have no choice but to look at P% rather than Pts. There are teams with twice the games of others. Pts won’t mean much to the in-season standing this year, I think.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
With the crazy covid stuff, we really have no choice but to look at P% rather than Pts. There are teams with twice the games of others. Pts won’t mean much to the in-season standing this year, I think.

@rt we've been playing Vegas and STL for all of our games this year. Also an extra win or two / extra goal here and there would bump up our points percentage to somewhere around the middle which is about where we should be right now imo.

Compare our games / schedule to 'elite' Minnesota who opened the season winning two games against LA (in overtime) and then split a bunch of 2-game series with the Sharks, Ducks, Kings (and COL, good result against Col but the rest of their results are far from impressive).

My first point is... our early schedule has been unreasonably tough, based on last game (and all the posts on these boards) our effort has been there this season. So, we're far from the fourth worst team in the league.

My second point is that it's still very early in the season, every team goes through hot streaks and 9 games is not very many (esp most against VGK / STL). Unless you want to argue that FLA are the best team in the league / stanley cup favorites...? Up to you

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
@rt we've been playing Vegas and STL for all of our games this year.

Did you blackout during the Sharks and Ducks games? :laugh: We are 2-1-1- against those teams, not exactly tough competition. I thought we looked good last night most of the time, but if we don't capture 6 pts during this road trip we are toast.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Did you blackout during the Sharks and Ducks games? :laugh: We are 2-1-1- against those teams, not exactly tough competition. I thought we looked good last night most of the time, but if we don't capture 6 pts during this road trip we are toast.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING

(well the first 2 out of 3 parts of that statement and I also thought we looked good for long stretches yesterday)

We're good against bad teams and decent against cup contending teams. That's enough for around .500 / maybe a playoff spot and so much better than 4th worst in the league.

Apologies for the bolding don't mean to be screaming. Well maybe I mean to be screaming you understand as you are a fellow internet poster ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING

(well the first 2 out of 3 parts of that statement and I also thought we looked good for long stretches yesterday)

We're good against bad teams and decent against cup contending teams. That's enough for around .500 / maybe a playoff spot and so much better than 4th worst in the league.

Apologies for the bolding don't mean to be screaming. Well maybe I mean to be screaming you understand as you are a fellow internet poster ;)
We are .500 against the so called bad teams, and .200 against the so called good teams. Overall .389. Also the season is 25% done. I don't care if we "looked good" or "can hang" with the good teams, it's about winning and banking points which we are not doing. Hopefully they can turn the rest of this trip around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad