Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I was listening to Craig's podcast and he defended Tocchet's powerplay because "he coached the powerplay in Pittsburgh and they won two Stanley Cups".

What a crock. In the two seasons that Pittsburgh won, they had the 16th and 3rd best PPs.

The three seasons since Tocchet left, it's finished 1st, 5th, and 16th.

I wonder if it could have something to do with having personnel like Crosby, Malkin, Letang??

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was listening to Craig's podcast and he defended Tocchet's powerplay because "he coached the powerplay in Pittsburgh and they won two Stanley Cups".

What a crock. In the two seasons that Pittsburgh won, they had the 16th and 3rd best PPs.

I wonder if it could have something to do with having personnel like Crosby, Malkin, Letang??

That's not even accurate because he had his PP duties taken away from him. Ask Pens fans.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

This is my criticism of Tocchet. Coach the f***ing team you have. Not the team you wish you had. Adapt to your roster!!!!

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Agreed. Nobody has roles. They just go out there and skate around. At least with Tippett it was, "Ok, Lauri Korpikoski, I need you to do this in order for us to win, and Okay, Boyd Gordon, this is your job...".

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
This is 100% it. Every player on that team knew exactly what their role is, it was black&white laid out for them.

This team seems like all 18 skaters are supposed to do the same 10+ assignments. It's just too much to retain.

I remember when Hall landed here, Tocchett said "he's the type of player that you change your systems to work for him".

Less is more. Ask the Islanders players. Ask the Blues players. Ask the Blue Jackets players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is my criticism of Tocchet. Coach the f***ing team you have. Not the team you sub you had. Adapt to your roster!!!!
He can't or does not know how. RT has shown nothing in the time he has been here to say he is a good coach.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I hope the reason he hasn't been let go is that they are going to let the new GM do that and hire a real coach.

That's my hope. But we all know what Yotes fandom does when you have hopes lol.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I hope the reason he hasn't been let go is that they are going to let the new GM do that and hire a real coach.

That's my hope. But we all know what Yotes fandom does when you have hopes lol.
That sounds reasonable, but it's also reasonable to let him go now if you're so unimpressed so coaches on the market can know this is an option. This lets them know we are actively doing a GM search and then will make the coaching hire, so please if you are a coach in search of a job, give us a sec to get things in order before you take the first job available.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That sounds reasonable, but it's also reasonable to let him go now if you're so unimpressed so coaches on the market can know this is an option. This lets them know we are actively doing a GM search and then will make the coaching hire, so please if you are a coach in search of a job, give us a sec to get things in order before you take the first job available.

Not really an issue for the type of coach that would take this job. Works for me, considering they are also likely a better fit. If Meruelo doesn't like Tocchet then keeping him employed headed into interviews is also useful to get a read on potential hires.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Giving RT at least part of next season (like @Summer Rose has voted) was my feeling back in February, but the playoff debacle combined with his comments convinced me he's not the guy. I think despite the vote tally above, RT will be back behind the bench in December.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Giving RT at least part of next season (like @Summer Rose has voted) was my feeling back in February, but the playoff debacle combined with his comments convinced me he's not the guy. I think despite the vote tally above, RT will be back behind the bench in December.
I believe he will be also. If we can get a great GM and he decides to keep RT for the last year of his contract, I might agree to that. A new GM and coach would be ideal, but like you said, I expect RT behind the bench.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

I suppose I really voted for what I think will happen and not necessarily what I want in an ideal vacuum. It being the last year of his contract makes a difference. Winning the play-in against Nashville should buy him the right to start behind the bench next season, even though he was on thin ice already because we were collapsing in February/March and it took a global pandemic shutting the season down to even give him an unforeseen chance at redemption. The series against Colorado should make the leash very, very short or the ice very, very thin or whatever metaphor you want to use. He has one final chance and if he screws it up he should be gone. Because of contract status the leash is maybe a tiny bit longer than it “should” be. If we have just a mediocre season with no egregious slumps, it’s very easy to move on from him in the form of just not renewing his contract.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad