Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Being in the last year of his contact I just don’t see a firing happening even if we fall on our faces in the next 10-15 games. BA is probably already prepping his list for new head coaching candidates after this season and firing a coach mid-season can be bad for the locker room and PR
I disagree. Let Vardy and Stillman take over and see if the team gets better or not, or fire RT and hire a new HC now. I'm sure BA has been evaluating players and coaches since he got here. I would personally like to see a new coach now and let BA evaluate the players under a new coach.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

Should be the easiest decision ever. Should already be made, actually.

Great article, though... whoever wrote it has a pulse on what is happening as I see it. Totally agree with the part about the Avs too... they are a great team but they aren't blowing out every single team like they do to the Yotes. Obviously something going on there to have that disparity.

Again... totally agree with this article haha.

Reactions: PuckLife

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
One of Tocchet's priorities this season should have been developing Hayton into a regular contributor. 100% failure in this regard. Far too many times in this league, stubborn coaches are sidetracking younger players. I would fire him for this reason alone because he is placing himself above the team by playing more experienced players in order to achieve a .500 record or thereabouts. Being mediocre should never be your objective.

I don't think there is anything Tocchet can do to help Hayton right now. Coaching won't fix his ability to adjust to game speed.

But results aside I would fire Tocchet solely for getting Darcy Kuemper (his MVP) injured for the second year in a row, and then lying to the fans about it. Can't happen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I disagree. Let Vardy and Stillman take over and see if the team gets better or not, or fire RT and hire a new HC now. I'm sure BA has been evaluating players and coaches since he got here. I would personally like to see a new coach now and let BA evaluate the players under a new coach.
5 of the next 7 are against Minny. That’s 5 games that are essentially all 4 point games. If the Coyotes do very poorly in point acquisition in those 5 games, I could see Tocchet’s time being up.

Especially because it makes it crystal clear that we are on track to miss the playoffs. But firing him and replacing him still technically leaves enough time to save the season if we get a big enough spark from the change.

I think Wednesday March 17th is a day to circle on the calendar. If we manage only 5pts in those five games against Minny and get shit-kicked again by Colorado, then Tocchet may be fired before we play Anaheim.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think there is anything Tocchet can do to help Hayton right now. Coaching won't fix his ability to adjust to game speed.

But results aside I would fire Tocchet solely for getting Darcy Kuemper (his MVP) injured for the second year in a row, and then lying to the fans about it. Can't happen.
I agree with every word of this.

Reactions: moosemeister

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Very good article, especially for THW, which usually posts amateur crap. However its list of potential candidates beyond Gallant is a little ugly. Boudreau is solid but I question the fit and he is getting up there as well as he is 66 now. He'd be the oldest coach in the NHL. I don't like any of the other names on the list.

Reactions: Jakey53

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Good article as every one else has already chimed in. Only nitpick is not mentioning Varady as a current assistant in the system already, and maybe former Roadrunners' coach Van Ryn for potential new head coaches.

I really get the sense that it's not Tocchet who is determining if he stays on through the end of his contract, but rather the process of getting one of those currently unemployed coaches such as Gallant to agree, or Meruelo wants to save and not pay for two head coaches at once. I don't know how heavily they weigh making the playoffs this year, but if it's not seen as a high enough priority, we could be looking at Tocchet to finish the season barring a complete nosedive where they start to question him actually harming the team by forming irreparable habits and whatnot.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015

It takes ice time and confidence to adjust NHL speed. Both are within control of the coach.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
That was a great article.

The thing that bugs me about the entire situatuon is that we are just good enough to drown out the noise of past failures.

I don't know how many of us looked at the write-up as pertains to this season, but we have two game-tying goals in the last 5 seconds of the game (rarely does that happen ever), and comebacks from 3 goals down. All of those occur in 4 different games. Those are points that we escape with, which can happen, but that is alarming.

In some ways, I almost wish that Keller would not have scored late against STL, and then we never make the comebacks against Anaheim. That would make it so easy to look at the team and the head coach and say something is not working here. But we keep giving little glimmers of hope that wind up cooling the hot seat just enough. At some point, even if on a low temperature, when food sits in the oven or on the cooktop long enough, it will burn. We have kept Tocchet on a temperature check for so long that it is about to burn down if we don't remove it from the flame.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Realistically there isn’t going to be money available for any big name coach out there. Don’t see it happening. I think the best case scenario is we end up with Van Ryn as head coach and Varady/Stillman remain in as assistants. I think that’s a pretty good staff for cheap. Van Ryn is my top choice based on the combination of credibility and value.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Realistically there isn’t going to be money available for any big name coach out there. Don’t see it happening. I think the best case scenario is we end up with Van Ryn as head coach and Varady/Stillman remain in as assistants. I think that’s a pretty good staff for cheap. Van Ryn is my top choice based on the combination of credibility and value.

This is my gut feeling as well and I think it could be very very good for the team. We have players who have played with Van Ryn already. He probably has some insight into Chayka's processes and BA/DA's. He would be hungry for the head coaching spot. My only concern is having three evergreen coaches. One thing that RT potentially brings is tons of experience in the NHL as a player, "coach" and just kind of a face in the league. He is probably well connected and most likely able to communicate well with players and give them career advice as well. I remember his first year it sounded like he spent time one on one with each player and it sounded like the impact was mostly positive. Having a single vet presence on the coaching staff could be a good way to support a younger staff. The past couple years we sure have selected the wrong guys that fit this mold though haha.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Great article as many have said already. I don't think the decision is if he should be gone just when he is gone, at least that is what I hope anyway. I always felt like for the talent level we had, Tip got the best out of our guys most years anyway. Rt has never done that. We have had a few streaks with Vezina caliber goal tending, but for the most part I see two things. We underperform and we are way inconsistent. For whatever reason, the team isn't ready to play sometimes. We have had multiple roster changes and now have young guys performing much better but those two items remain, it's coaching.

Reactions: Jakey53

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
ESPN/Wyshynski touches on Tocchet. Though he credits him for getting a lot out of little, I think he's actually leaning towards there being plenty of blame for Tocchet in getting propped up by goalies and never getting any offense. I disagree with his tier placement (too high), as he seems to just look at the standings for a lot of small fanbase teams in determining that (see Anaheim), but this is more analytical than the Dregers's dredge.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What’s the reaction on this board today had we replaced Tocchet with Sutter? Very curious to see the responses.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What’s the reaction on this board today had we replaced Tocchet with Sutter? Very curious to see the responses.

Sutter is a dinosaur and the Coyotes don't have the personnel to play his outdated style.

He is a good coach to crack the whip and that's about it imo.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Good to relieve Tocchet, but less pleased with the replacement. I don't feel like Sutter would be as good because of where he is in his career/life. I think he's only made an exception because he's from Alberta and has a history with the club. I think we need some one who's willing to spend a few more seasons developing the club up which would come at the expense of personal record and accolades. Calgary is in a situation where they've missed on their trajectory and probably ought to take a reset to some degree, but because Treliving is likely on thin ice and Sutter is closer to full retirement, they won't do a reset and will try and eke out whatever they can now to take a run. It's risky because it'll put them into a longer drought should it fail, and it likely won't bear amazing fruit even if it does work out.

The Coyotes can afford to wait and go with some one more patient, so I would have liked the hire. Armstrong will probably replace Tocchet with some one who knows this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad