Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What’s the reaction on this board today had we replaced Tocchet with Sutter? Very curious to see the responses.
Sutter is a winner. BS to this dinosaur and outdated style talk. His record is as good as Gallant and Gallant seems to be everyone's choice here. I think Sutter may become GM of Calgary when all is said and done.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't rate Gallant super highly, so I wouldn't mind missing him. He got a lot of praise for a very talented roster and chafed when Vegas ops offered any sort of feedback. I don't like that. DeBoer is a much better coach.

The Coyotes need a Bednar type. Someone who is tactically sound and is not wed to any ideas or styles (aka an up-and-comer with a history of minor league success). You find something that works best with the guys you've got. Someone flexible. Someone that won't be annoyed by having guys like BA and Stempniak (analytics liaison) chiming in. The HC should be the smartest guy in the room tactics wise but not so far up his own ass he can't listen to new information or ideas.

Van Ryn - Varady - Stillman is probably the perfect combo in terms of dollars vs output with all of that considered. Van Ryn did really well with Tucson and has credibility with the players. Varady isn't quite ready yet, and neither is Stillman.

Boudreau would be great for a HC - Associate situation with Varady, if he was open to it. But he'll probably hold out hope for a playoff team to come calling. Julien is an excellent coach but is too wed to his own ways and has a short shelf life. He'd also be great for a veteran group looking to get over the hump, like Sutter.

The Coyotes roster isn't atrocious like Detroit. There will be a lot of flexibility. They shouldn't have any trouble attracting someone eager to get a shot at HC.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't rate Gallant super highly, so I wouldn't mind missing him. He got a lot of praise for a very talented roster and chafed when Vegas ops offered any sort of feedback. I don't like that. DeBoer is a much better coach.

The Coyotes need a Bednar type. Someone who is tactically sound and is not wed to any ideas or styles (aka an up-and-comer with a history of minor league success). You find something that works best with the guys you've got. Someone flexible. Someone that won't be annoyed by having guys like BA and Stempniak (analytics liaison) chiming in. The HC should be the smartest guy in the room tactics wise but not so far up his own ass he can't listen to new information or ideas.

Van Ryn - Varady - Stillman is probably the perfect combo in terms of dollars vs output with all of that considered. Van Ryn did really well with Tucson and has credibility with the players. Varady isn't quite ready yet, and neither is Stillman.

Boudreau would be great for a HC - Associate situation with Varady, if he was open to it. But he'll probably hold out hope for a playoff team to come calling. Julien is an excellent coach but is too wed to his own ways and has a short shelf life. He'd also be great for a veteran group looking to get over the hump, like Sutter.

The Coyotes roster isn't atrocious like Detroit. There will be a lot of flexibility. They shouldn't have any trouble attracting someone eager to get a shot at HC.
I think you still need a D coach if your two ACs are Varady and Stillman.

I have been hoping for MVR as HC for a long time though. So I’m with you there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you still need a D coach if your two ACs are Varady and Stillman.

I have been hoping for MVR as HC for a long time though. So I’m with you there.
Isn't Steve Ott an up and comer? I thought he had been mentioned with other teams looking for a HC.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pessimistic. He’s funny so that’s nice. But I think the game has passed him by. I’d have to wait and see. Wouldn’t have high hopes.
Stop with "the game has passed him by" nonsense. Being a good NHL coach is like being a good NHL player. They have god given talent, and that is why these coaches keep on getting hired. The good NHL coaches have to understand their players and know when and how to push their buttons, when to give them ice time and when not to. RT with OEL is a good example of what not to do. RT giving Stepan stupid TOI and PP time is another. There is a reason RT is not successful as a HC in the NHL. There is also a reason Sutter and Torts for example, are good coaches. They understand their players and put them in a position to succeed.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
Not only has the team given up on Tocchet, but I am worried that they will give up on the organization. Why would they want to stick around. As soon as they have a chance they will be out of here. The Coyotes I feel have a reputation as a place to go spend the last few years of your career. Not a place to go to get your ring. Sad!

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think the only way Tocc is fired in season is if he steps out of AM’s inner circle (assuming he’s still in it) . After the season is a different story.

rt

May 13, 2004
Stop with "the game has passed him by" nonsense. Being a good NHL coach is like being a good NHL player. They have god given talent, and that is why these coaches keep on getting hired. The good NHL coaches have to understand their players and know when and how to push their buttons, when to give them ice time and when not to. RT with OEL is a good example of what not to do. RT giving Stepan stupid TOI and PP time is another. There is a reason RT is not successful as a HC in the NHL. There is also a reason Sutter and Torts for example, are good coaches. They understand their players and put them in a position to succeed.
1) Coaches age out just like players. Just like all humans in all things.

2) Tocchet being bad at his job despite not being old proves nothing about Sutter or old coaches in general. This isn’t an argument it’s a logical fallacy.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don’t think Tocchet will be fired in-season. The only chance of that is the current stretch of games though. If Colorado and Minnesota keep embarrassing us, this would be the time.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad