Fire Tocchet #2

Should Tocchet be fired?

• Total voters

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The genius of John Chayka
"Rick was the best candidate by a wide margin," Chayka said.

"We really liked the odds of him taking us to the next level. We've had some bad luck in the past, everything seemed to come up snakeeyes the last few years, but we're going to roll the dice. These are the cards we've been dealt. We're going to try to parlay Rick's success as an assistant into a winning season with him at the helm. We're really going to up the ante this season; we need buy in. We're holding some cards close to our chest, but I think we have some good chips to trade for immediate help. The new owner is a high-roller. We're not bluffing.We're all-in on the playoffs. We think the battle for the Wild Card slot is wide open. We asked Rick about his interest, and he wanted a piece of the action",
Chayka added (probably).

Reactions: RemoAZ and Mosby

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

"We really liked the odds of him taking us to the next level. We've had some bad luck in the past, everything seemed to come up snakeeyes the last few years, but we're going to roll the dice. These are the cards we've been dealt. We're going to try to parlay Rick's success as an assistant into a winning season with him at the helm. We're really going to up the ante this season; we need buy in. We're holding some cards close to our chest, but I think we have some good chips to trade for immediate help. The new owner is a high-roller. We're not bluffing.We're all-in on the playoffs. We think the battle for the Wild Card slot is wide open. We asked Rick about his interest, and he wanted a piece of the action",
Chayka added (probably).
You're obviously BFFs with Chayka.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It just occurred to me, we are 1/4 of the way through the season and 5th in our division, having captured half of the pts available. RT has yet to produce a playoff-caliber team.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
My main concern coming out of the past couple of games is that Tocchet has been figured out and is being outcoached again. Aside from the top line, there isn't a lot of meaningful offense being created. It is still better than last year, but the Blues have done a good job shutting down nearly everything aside from that line, and it's happened in the past two games. This is where the adaptability of Tocchet gets the team in trouble, and the fortunes change a la last season. Somewhat comforting is that the top line can generate offense by its own skill and creativity and they can win games on their own, system be damned.

The other changes in the team and tactics this season should ameliorated a tailspin to the degree seen last season, but I'm still worried that with the way this season is laid out into series, opposing coaches are going to adapt to the lineup and tactics employed by the Coyotes more so than in regular seasons, and now there's footage out there of what the Coyotes were doing to be successful up and down the lineup and then what another team has done to stymie that to a large degree with no real change coming from the Coyotes. Just play this way against the Coyotes and unless Garland and Co. can carry the game, we'll grind it out.

Here's hoping the injection of assistants by Armstrong into the coaching staff can add some more versatility to the team tactics for this season's sake, but if I'm right on this underlying trend, Armstrong will be justified parting with Tocchet whenever he does so even if Tocchet improves on the record this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My main concern coming out of the past couple of games is that Tocchet has been figured out and is being outcoached again. Aside from the top line, there isn't a lot of meaningful offense being created. It is still better than last year, but the Blues have done a good job shutting down nearly everything aside from that line, and it's happened in the past two games. This is where the adaptability of Tocchet gets the team in trouble, and the fortunes change a la last season. Somewhat comforting is that the top line can generate offense by its own skill and creativity and they can win games on their own, system be damned.

The other changes in the team and tactics this season should ameliorated a tailspin to the degree seen last season, but I'm still worried that with the way this season is laid out into series, opposing coaches are going to adapt to the lineup and tactics employed by the Coyotes more so than in regular seasons, and now there's footage out there of what the Coyotes were doing to be successful up and down the lineup and then what another team has done to stymie that to a large degree with no real change coming from the Coyotes. Just play this way against the Coyotes and unless Garland and Co. can carry the game, we'll grind it out.

Here's hoping the injection of assistants by Armstrong into the coaching staff can add some more versatility to the team tactics for this season's sake, but if I'm right on this underlying trend, Armstrong will be justified parting with Tocchet whenever he does so even if Tocchet improves on the record this season.

I'd relax. The fact his buddies are on the radio talking about how great he is and how in demand he is going to be is great news for us. You don't hear that if his job and an extension was secure here.
I think when Vardy got promoted, many thought it was because of the shortened year, and then when Stillman was hired it thought he was a BA hire not RT. With these two moves I think what might have happened was either BA and RT had a talk and BA did not like what RT was saying OR BA already had his mind made up and put the wheels in motion to replace RT at years end.:dunno:

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bob Francis was fired midseason.

Too bad Rick Tocchet doesn't parle francais.

Ducharme would be a good pick for the full-time job in MTL.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I wonder what happens to RT after a three game (in regulation) losing streak? I also wonder how much the Strang article affects ownerships thoughts on firing a coach mid-season. I think a midseason slump could be enough of we are still hanging in there in the standings. Most likely nothing will happen until after the season.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I still think there is a small chance we extend him if we make the playoffs. Like a two-year extension. Whatever. We can still fire him down the road.

But I do think it's hilarious that supposedly there is going to be a bidding war for a coach who can win just slightly more games than he loses.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Unless the team overachieves, meaning makes the playoffs, wins a round, almost wins two, I think RT is gone. For budget reasons and for BA to evaluate players, I think is why BA/ownership hung onto RT. Its pretty clear BA has been cleaning house since he got here. BA will bring in the coach he wants by the summer. If BA is sure one of our assistants is the guy, he might do it mid season. Either way, I just don't see RT staying, he isn't BAs guy, and unless the team over achieves, BA won't keep him.

Reactions: 0point1 and Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Season basically ended after the St Louis series apparently

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
One of Tocchet's priorities this season should have been developing Hayton into a regular contributor. 100% failure in this regard. Far too many times in this league, stubborn coaches are sidetracking younger players. I would fire him for this reason alone because he is placing himself above the team by playing more experienced players in order to achieve a .500 record or thereabouts. Being mediocre should never be your objective.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
Being in the last year of his contact I just don’t see a firing happening even if we fall on our faces in the next 10-15 games. BA is probably already prepping his list for new head coaching candidates after this season and firing a coach mid-season can be bad for the locker room and PR

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->