Proposal: Fire Pierre Dorion... Unless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't hate this, I just feel like Joseph is redundant. He's a poor man's Formenton. But I do love his skating.

Reactions: Deku

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well on the bright side that makes Tampa even more difficult for the leafs to take down. That is one stacked team.

Good for Paul. Know nothing about who he was traded for

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The way PD is trading I think he is competing for the HNIC's Good Deeds cup instead of Lord Stanley!

Reactions: Cosmix

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
10 mill tied up in bottom pairing d-men as a budget team. For some of the staunch Dorion enthusiasts here, please at least try to rationalize this.
I'll try.

I think he's very conscious of the budget and the fact that Ottawa is not the most desirable location. So he feels he needs to hit some bargain-bin homeruns to compete with the richer teams. He needs players that contribute more per dollar than the Toronto's of the league.

He doesn't have the luxury of spending to the cap on safe bets; he has to take some chances. It's like if you need a million dollars tomorrow, but you only have a thousand dollars, so you spend it all on scratch tickets.

He understands the budget difference between most of the league and us, and I think like he believes that if he buys more proven/consistent players at market value, he'll probably get exactly what he pays for. Which is a below-cap team with a maximum ceiling on its performance, which will relegate us, at best, to a middling team in that no-mans land right on the edge of the playoffs. He can't buy 3rd liners that cost 3rd liner money and deliver 3rd liner results. Because that team will hit it's budget and consistently land in 10th place in the East.

But he also knows that's not an option because he knows that Ottawa is a weak market and another decade of bouncing back and forth between rebuild and middling playoff team is likely to spell the end of the Ottawa franchise.

So he's trying to become Pittsburgh. Take a team on the verge of financial insolubility to a healthy consistent performer. To do that, he needs to take chances. He either needs guys to overperform their salary or he needs elite talent via the draft.

If he takes safe trade bets and spends to his budget, he basically precludes either of those scenarios from happening. We'd never be bad enough to land a franchise altering player, and we'll never win the cup with a spending deficit as large as we have.

Would he like to acquire more desirable players? Yes, obviously. He's worked in hockey a long time and isn't (completely) stupid. He knows that Travis Hamonic isn't some saviour for this franchise. You know how I know that? Because literally no one would believe that. And I'd have to be pretty naive to believe that a professional GM believes that.

So maybe the fans just have limited information about the myriad of factors that go into these decisions? And maybe "just spend more on better players" isn't quite the level of analysis that these decisions deserve?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'll try.

I think he's very conscious of the budget and the fact that Ottawa is not the most desirable location. So he feels he needs to hit some bargain-bin homeruns to compete with the richer teams. He needs players that contribute more per dollar than the Toronto's of the league.

He doesn't have the luxury of spending to the cap on safe bets; he has to take some chances. It's like if you need a million dollars tomorrow, but you only have a thousand dollars, so you spend it all on scratch tickets.

He understands the budget difference between most of the league and us, and I think like he believes that if he buys more proven/consistent players at market value, he'll probably get exactly what he pays for. Which is a below-cap team with a maximum ceiling on its performance, which will relegate us, at best, to a middling team in that no-mans land right on the edge of the playoffs. He can't buy 3rd liners that cost 3rd liner money and deliver 3rd liner results. Because that team will hit it's budget and consistently land in 10th place in the East.

But he also knows that's not an option because he knows that Ottawa is a weak market and another decade of bouncing back and forth between rebuild and middling playoff team is likely to spell the end of the Ottawa franchise.

So he's trying to become Pittsburgh. Take a team on the verge of financial insolubility to a healthy consistent performer. To do that, he needs to take chances. He either needs guys to overperform their salary or he needs elite talent via the draft.

If he takes safe trade bets and spends to his budget, he basically precludes either of those scenarios from happening. We'd never be bad enough to land a franchise altering player, and we'll never win the cup with a spending deficit as large as we have.

Would he like to acquire more desirable players? Yes, obviously. He's worked in hockey a long time and isn't (completely) stupid. He knows that Travis Hamonic isn't some saviour for this franchise. You know how I know that? Because literally no one would believe that. And I'd have to be pretty naive to believe that a professional GM believes that.

So maybe the fans just have limited information about the myriad of factors that go into these decisions? And maybe "just spend more on better players" isn't quite the level of analysis that these decisions deserve?
I think it has more to do with spend less on shitty players than it is spend more on better players.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think it has more to do with spend less on shitty players than it is spend more on better players.
Stay within the budget and draw me up an alternative that doesn't land us as a bubble team.

Don't use hindsight and ty to incorporate Pierre's reality that Ottawa is not a desirable destination and there are 31 other teams to compete with.

I know people just want to ignore the realities of this team, but the GM can't do that.

I don't think Hamonic is going to be good either. I just don't ignore all the context to criticize that decision.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'll try.

That's cool, but why is he paying prices waaaay higher than the players he's receiving? I know why. Because he overvalues them. It's pretty clear from the prices of Gubranson, Stepan, and even going way back Brassard or Burrows.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'll try.

Or maybe, Pierre Dorion is making bad decisions and he'll eventually be fired and never get the same job at the NHL level again?

Some act like it's impossible for GMs to make bad decisions and construct bad teams. If only the fans had all the information the moves would makes sense!!

There have been hundreds of bad GMs in the NHL before Pierre Dorion, and there'll be hundreds more after him. It's okay to admit that Dorion is sitting comfortably in that group.

Reactions: cudi

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Or maybe, Pierre Dorion is making bad decisions, the team will never become good, and he'll eventually be fired and never get the same job at the NHL level again?

Some act like it's impossible for GMs to make bad decisions and construct bad teams. If only the fans had all the information the moves would makes sense!!

There have been hundreds of bad GMs in the NHL before Pierre Dorion, and there'll be hundreds more after him. It's okay to admit it.
I didnt say i thought he was a good GM. I was just explaining how i think salary restrictions are factoring into some of his decisions.

I'm pushing back on the lame, predictable knee jerk analysis done by fellow fans here. I'm not jumping on the Dorion bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad