Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Help the sky is falling

It isn’t, but this is not a very good hockey team and not coincidentally it is run by a bad GM. That’s what this thread is about.

Yeah, Holland isn’t a miracle worker, but he is slowly turning a dismal cap situation into something palatable. Other than the Kassian contract, he’s been smartly very conservative in his player signings.

“Smartly conservative” = trading three draft picks for Green and AA and not getting anything out of either this or last season.

I also can’t help but laugh at this (repeated) insistence Holland needs to be a “miracle worker”. In the North Division alone, four other teams have managed to add a goalie they didn’t have the season prior (Holtby/Van, Markstrom/Cgy, Allen/Mtl, Murray/OTT). I’m not saying they all have worked out, but if the sheer act is a miracle, we have a whole lot of future saints in Canada at the moment.

People can bitch all they want about the goaltending right now (we all know it needs to be better) but the biggest reason it hasn’t been improved is that awful $4.5m x 3 that Chiarelli gave Koskinen as the final F U to this franchise.

Yes, it was a terrible contract, but Holland has had nearly two years to remedy the situation and hasn’t. At some point blaming the previous GM stops being a reasonable excuse- probably after something like, oh, I don’t know, getting BTFO by Chicago in the play-ins.

To then come back with the exact same goaltending is unacceptable. Either Holland didn’t realize it was an issue, or he was too inept to fix it. Neither speaks well to his abilities as a general manager in today’s game.

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
He could have traded for Dubnyk or traded for Kuemper in the summer, there were still other options.

He's done some good but if the team misses the playoffs because of goaltending, that's all on Holland.

We should be 11-6 not 9-8 at least if we had addressed the goal tending.

Dubnyk isn’t an improvement over what we have.

Kuemper would cost a lot, I hope everyone realizes that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Dubnyk isn’t an improvement over what we have.

Kuemper would cost a lot, I hope everyone realizes that.
Arizona has no desire to trade either of their goalies right now. Likely not until they're mathematically out, at least according to most of the fanbase here.

HFOil can keep screaming Kuemper/Raanta from the rooftops until they're blue in the face but it won't change that. I don't see anyone just sending away their starting goalie right now. Gotta ride it out for a while.

Reactions: TB12

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
It isn’t, but this is not a very good hockey team and not coincidentally it is run by a bad GM. That’s what this thread is about.

“Smartly conservative” = trading three draft picks for Green and AA and not getting anything out of either this or last season.

I also can’t help but laugh at this (repeated) insistence Holland needs to be a “miracle worker”. In the North Division alone, four other teams have managed to add a goalie they didn’t have the season prior (Holtby/Van, Markstrom/Cgy, Allen/Mtl, Murray/OTT). I’m not saying they all have worked out, but if the sheer act is a miracle, we have a whole lot of future saints in Canada at the moment.

Yes, it was a terrible contract, but Holland has had nearly two years to remedy the situation and hasn’t. At some point blaming the previous GM stops being a reasonable excuse- probably after something like, oh, I don’t know, getting BTFO by Chicago in the play-ins.

To then come back with the exact same goaltending is unacceptable. Either Holland didn’t realize it was an issue, or he was too inept to fix it. Neither speaks well to his abilities as a general manager in today’s game.

so like at this point, are the goal posts in the back of a F-150?

That’s the only way I can think they’d be so mobile.

Reactions: TB12 and GOilers88

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Arizona has no desire to trade either of their goalies right now. Likely not until they're mathematically out, at least according to most of the fanbase here.

HFOil can keep screaming Kuemper/Raanta from the rooftops until they're blue in the face but it won't change that. I don't see anyone just sending away their starting goalie right now. Gotta ride it out for a while.

Agreed.

Also who is trading us a stud goalie?

It’s not a massive secret that if we managed to get above average goaltending the Oilers would be big time favourites for deep playoff runs.

Other teams aren’t exactly excited to see that happen.

Reactions: TB12

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
so like at this point, are the goal posts in the back of a F-150?

That’s the only way I can think they’d be so mobile.
Nevermind the fact that both Matt Murray and Braden Holtby have posted worse stats than either of our guys this year. Can you imagine how much this guy would be bitching at Holland if Holtby had taken a 2x4.3 deal here instead of Vancouver and we had 9 million committed to Koski/Holtby? How about Thomas Greiss and his sub .900 year so far? 8 million for a Greiss/Koski tandem looking just as good hey.

The only goalie killing it in this division is Markstrom. Even Hellebuyck is struggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Nevermind the fact that both Matt Murray and Braden Holtby have posted worse stats than either of our guys this year. Can you imagine how much this guy would be bitching at Holland if Holtby had taken a 2x4.3 deal here instead of Vancouver and we had 9 million committed to Koski/Holtby?

The only goalie killing it in this division is Markstrom.

Yep.

And both Price and Anderson aren’t winning the Vezina to say the least.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hey man, if you feel like departing with a young Dman along with another prospect and a high pick is worth 1/2 a year from a 30ish goaltender then we should go ahead with it.
Year after year of this goaltending and 97 won’t stick around. At some point upgrades need to be made. Where are they coming from?

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Year after year of this goaltending and 97 won’t stick around. At some point upgrades need to be made. Where are they coming from?

If 97 was gonna leave he would have done it already.

There’s a whole ton of FA goalies next year and we got cap space.

If you want to trade for a goalie make a move for Korpisalo or Elvis in CBJ. At 26, signed for multiple years, this is a much better option than backing up a dump truck of picks and prospects in Glendale.

Reactions: shoop

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If 97 was gonna leave he would have done it already.

There’s a whole ton of FA goalies next year and we got cap space.

If you want to trade for a goalie make a move for Korpisalo or Elvis in CBJ. At 26, signed for multiple years, this is a much better option than backing up a dump truck of picks and prospects in Glendale.
Assuming of course that the cap space doesn’t go to extensions for the likes of RNH, Barrie, Chiasson...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Apparently we should’ve offered Markstrom $8M to play for us.

Would be interesting to see how he’d play with a defence missing Barrie and Koekkoek, as well as an offence lacking Kahun, Turris, Ennis and Puljujarvi.
Oh man what would we do without the likes of Turris, Ennis, Kahun and Koekkoek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad