Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yup it Holland fault there no cap space . It’s his fault Koskinen is signed to 4.5 million . Might as well blame him for the weather as well . Damn Holland should have gotten a number one D ,3 top 6 forwards and a number 1 goalie .

If you were the owner no one would work for you .
I'm blaming him for the weather in Calgary too.

Fire Holland, hire a real weatherman!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Holland made a mistake with the Kassian contract but the good news is that I think he knows it, and the even better news is that it isn't *too* terrible as far as a one-off cap-eating albatross goes. This is why I think he's being so cautious with extending RNH. He doesn't want to repeat the same mistake on a larger scale.

And before the arguments of "well, everyone can learn from their mistakes" ... Chia didn't.

Reactions: McOilers97

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I think Holland made a mistake with the Kassian contract but the good news is that I think he knows it, and the even better news is that it isn't *too* terrible as far as a one-off cap-eating albatross goes. This is why I think he's being so cautious with extending RNH. He doesn't want to repeat the same mistake on a larger scale.

And before the arguments of "well, everyone can learn from their mistakes" ... Chia didn't.

There’s a real good opportunity for Holland to correct his mistake by dumping Kassian on Pittsburgh. Burke coming out guns a blazing with an “ugly hockey” philosophy is basically asking GMs to rip him off talent-wise.

IF Holland can flip Kass for a useful player at a position of need, I will give him credit. Bonus points if he avoids paying out the nose for RNH as you say. I don’t care if that requires trading Nuge, but the team literally cannot afford another mistake. I’d rather acquire a younger, cost-controlled asset for him than turn into the Edmonton Canucks.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Kassian and Khaira need the Tortorella treatment! Play my way or sit! It is unforgivable that most nites Archibald-Ennis-Yamamoto are our toughest forwards

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
There’s a real good opportunity for Holland to correct his mistake by dumping Kassian on Pittsburgh. Burke coming out guns a blazing with an “ugly hockey” philosophy is basically asking GMs to rip him off talent-wise.

IF Holland can flip Kass for a useful player at a position of need, I will give him credit. Bonus points if he avoids paying out the nose for RNH as you say. I don’t care if that requires trading Nuge, but the team literally cannot afford another mistake. I’d rather acquire a younger, cost-controlled asset for him than turn into the Edmonton Canucks.

Holland is a General Manager not a wizard.

Unless you feel ok with dealing away our 1st this year you’re not getting anything better than Kassian for Kassian at a similar contract. Not everyone is Peter Chiarelli.

I kinda understand why you’re angry with Holland. It’s easy to be mad at someone when you set such unrealistic goalposts.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland has done massive upgrades. OfC it gives some misses like Jurco etc. AA was hard to swallow because I could see it wouldnt work just teoretical. but I guess he took a chance.

Kassian, what to say. ok. He know now, and it is not as said an albatross contract

Last edited:

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Okay I’ve changed my mind. This elite goaltending that Holland has set us up with will win us many games this season. How can anyone watch this team and not think they are flawless from the net out?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
200 (1).gif

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
Okay I’ve changed my mind. This elite goaltending that Holland has set us up with will win us many games this season. How can anyone watch this team and not think they are flawless from the net out?
Mostly everyone agrees the goaltending isn’t good enough.

Holland couldn’t force Markstrom to sign with us. He choose The Flames because they were willing to beef up the contract and Lindholm is a friend of his. It is what it is at this point.

tonights game doesn’t make this thread any less hyperbolic than it already was

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

And yet we’re willing to exonerate the guy tasked with solving that problem. Exhibit A...

Holland couldn’t force Markstrom to sign with us. He choose The Flames because they were willing to beef up the contract and Lindholm is a friend of his. It is what it is at this point.

I mean if you’re happy with what you just watched I could agree with that take. I’m not, ergo...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Holland had lots of options, Smith should've been plan Z.

He gets paid millions to make the goaltending better. Sorry, at some point the excuses have to stop.

Reactions: barry halls

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He could have traded for Dubnyk or traded for Kuemper in the summer, there were still other options.

He's done some good but if the team misses the playoffs because of goaltending, that's all on Holland.

We should be 11-6 not 9-8 at least if we had addressed the goal tending.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
He should've ponied up for Kuemper or Fleury in the off-season. What a colossal mistake to not improve the goaltending.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Edmonton Oilers 2017/2018: 36-40-6
Edmonton Oilers 2018/2019: 35-38-9

61-78-15

"Here's a 5x5 contract to come in and do this right, Ken."

Edmonton Oilers 2019/2020: 37-25-9
Edmonton Oilers 2020/2021: 9-8

Edmonton Oilers under Ken Holland:
46-33-9

"So, Ken. I know we said 5 years, but what we really meant was 90 games, and based on how the first 88 have gone I think we can safely say moving on just feels right"

*Skype Disabled*

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
In a year where we play the Flames 9 more times, I'm partial to keeping Kass until the end of the season and trying to move on in the summer if he hasn't picked anything up.

Maybe it's silly but that's my opinion.

it ain’t. The Flames are already winning the physical battle and they are taking many cheap shots. We need SOME fight back.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Edmonton Oilers 2017/2018: 36-40-6
Edmonton Oilers 2018/2019: 35-38-9

61-78-15

"Here's a 5x5 contract to come in and do this right, Ken."

Edmonton Oilers 2019/2020: 37-25-9
Edmonton Oilers 2020/2021: 9-8

Edmonton Oilers under Ken Holland:
46-33-9

"So, Ken. I know we said 5 years, but what we really meant was 90 games, and based on how the first 88 have gone I think we can safely say moving on just feels right"

*Skype Disabled*

Yeah, Holland isn’t a miracle worker, but he is slowly turning a dismal cap situation into something palatable. Other than the Kassian contract, he’s been smartly very conservative in his player signings.

People can bitch all they want about the goaltending right now (we all know it needs to be better) but the biggest reason it hasn’t been improved is that awful $4.5m x 3 that Chiarelli gave Koskinen as the final F U to this franchise. If Koskinen wasn’t here, they could’ve offered Markstrom more money or been in on other goalies. I hope he can work some magic for a goaltender before the trade deadline, but if not, there will be an opportunity this summer. We have some cap space coming, and can buy out Koskinen for a reasonable $1.5m x 2 caphit if need be.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, Holland isn’t a miracle worker, but he is slowly turning a dismal cap situation into something palatable. Other than the Kassian contract, he’s been smartly very conservative in his player signings.

People can bitch all they want about the goaltending right now (we all know it needs to be better) but the biggest reason it hasn’t been improved is that awful $4.5m x 3 that Chiarelli gave Koskinen as the final F U to this franchise. If Koskinen wasn’t here, they could’ve offered Markstrom more money or been in on other goalies. I hope he can work some magic for a goaltender before the trade deadline, but if not, there will be an opportunity this summer. We have some cap space coming, and can buy out Koskinen for a reasonable $1.5m x 2 caphit if need be.

Yep it sucks but chia screwed us with Kosk.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Yep it sucks but chia screwed us with Kosk.

Absolutely. I really have no problem with Koskinen being on this team, but the contract totally miscast him from the start. He’s a backup that should play like 1/3 of the starts, and be paid like $1.5m accordingly. We’d all probably be just fine with him in that role. $4.5m is the kind of money you pay a guy that can handle 60+% of the workload and be an average caliber starter. Koskinen’s numbers are around league average since he got here in 2018-19, but he’s not an average starter because he can’t handle that kind of 50+ game workload.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Shit, it's not even Koskinen not being here it's simply him being overpaid.

He wouldn't have signed for less? Really?

3x3 should have been plenty (still an overpay), and they could have gone in on Markstrom or someone else easily.

Reactions: McOilers97

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Shit, it's not even Koskinen not being here it's simply him being overpaid.

He wouldn't have signed for less? Really?

3x3 should have been plenty (still an overpay), and they could have gone in on Markstrom or someone else easily.

That’s a good point too. It’s mind-boggling to me that they arrived at a $4.5m AAV for Koskinen. Would anyone else have even offered him $3m? They gave him money AND term when they probably could have just given him one of those things, because nobody else would’ve.

Like, 4.5m x 2 still would’ve been an overpay, given how little he had proven, and I have a hard time believing he wouldn’t have signed that. Chiarelli’s “negotiating” makes me think that he just instantly caves when agents pressure for more money.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad