Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Hellebuyck and bounces are the main reasons, but the point stands that it was a series that could easily have gone the other way.
Absolutely. I also can't help but tip.my cap to the Jets collective stick work. They got a piece of almost everything all series. Nobody had any real clean looks because they were constantly in the way or getting a piece. Plus the amount of blocked shots was quite staggering last night.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hellebuyck and bounces are the main reasons, but the point stands that it was a series that could easily have gone the other way.

I agree. The main difference is Winnipeg played tighter and made fewer mistakes. In a series that close where bounces can change outcomes, it’s always going to favor the tighter less mistake prone team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They won because our stars choked let’s be real.

Not sure this is accurate. Drai got 2g 3A 5pts in the 4 games and was a horse. He was winning puck battles at times with two jets draped over him. Connor had 4pts. In both instances these are as much or more than Jets got factoring in the Jets stars had two empty net freebies in this series. A lot of players were snakebit. Kyle Connor, who I really like didn't get untracked until the series winning goal. Dubois barely even showed up. Similar for several of the Jets depth players they didn't get much done.

But still the difference is that the Jets did have more depth scoring, and that Schiefele did drastically elevate his game as well as Morrissey. But all of McD, Drai, Nurse played at a very high level, and didn't choke. They gave good accounts of themselves. Pulju started out good but got off his game which I'm fine with. He'll learn. For some reason Larsson was better in reg season than playoffs. Don't know whats up with that. The series had 3OT games,and the other was a 1 G game. The Oilers didn't get it done, and we need some answers but a lot of that is depth related.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm so sick of the "What could he have done?" excuse. When you get paid more than half the roster you ice you better be putting some damn good players on it. I understand that the cap was tight, we had limited assets (and both of these things are partially the current GMs fault), but other teams found ways of squeezing in players under the cap.

That TDL was underwhelming. You might as well have seen what RNH and Larsson got you.

I wouldn't even bother re-signing any of our UFAs. We've seen what they offer.

Reactions: EagerPug

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm so sick of the "What could he have done?" excuse. When you get paid more than half the roster you ice you better be putting some damn good players on it. I understand that the cap was tight, we had limited assets (and both of these things are partially the current GMs fault), but other teams found ways of squeezing in players under the cap.

That TDL was underwhelming. You might as well have seen what RNH and Larsson got you.

I think you have to see what Barrie is asking for. 60-70pt defensemen are just so rare and if we don't sign him people will look back and criticize Holland for letting go of the first good offensive defenseman this team has had in ages.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I doubt he gets fired but I think whatever stability that him and Tippett have tried to build upon has been erased by these playoffs.

The one thing that sticks out to me is that, Holland has said that you have to make more good decisions then bad. It makes sense, its a logical approach, and I think early on, that seemed to work out but now things are pretty murky.

I think people have to realized, he inherited a team with very little cap space. I think its naive to think that he was going to be able to wave a magic wand and fix everything. He said this himself.

I think Holland had a pretty good offseason personally. I think the Barrie signing was a good one. I think Smith was a good signing obviously. I think Kahun, even though he dissapointed a bit, was a good move. The way he handled JP was obviously great. Hes been a bright spot.

This is the first offseason hes had to put his finger prints on the team. And after this playoff fiasco, I wish him luck because I am not sure what you do with this team. Lots of difficult decisons. This team obviously has some problems and some holes.

There are a few things that scares me about Holland.

1) His trades have mostly been awful. Between him and the pro scouts, I have no faith that they will win trades. It seems like every player him and the pro-scouts target, not only have they not worked out, its not even close imo. Has he even won one trade? Even the Neal-Lucic trade at this point, is whatever.

2) I think he had a decent offseason (to me) because he had to be tight with cap space. I think it prevented him from making mistakes. Him having cap space, I think I see it more as a bad thing than a good thing. I dont have confidence he will use it properly because I have no faith in pro-scouting and their player targetting.

Its going to be an interesting offseason for Holland. End of season presser will be something. I think its going to be a lot of muttering about how the great 2006 Red Wings lost to the Oilers. I dont know if his patience will hurt him or help him. After a disasterous playoffs, he has a lot of difficult decisions. All I can say is good luck, hes going to need it.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019

the real danger with Larson lol the talk of his new contract being all but set coincides with his drop in play , just like it was raised around the time the media started to suggest we may be walking away from him

Edit: quoted wrong post

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I guarantee that if Holland traded the 1st for a rental and they managed to win 2 or 3 games this series (they would have still lost if the Jets - particularly Helly - played the same way) posters would be calling for his head for wasting the asset.

The 1st should be used on an actual asset with term

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad