Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Kind of like Sullivan did in Pittsburgh? He's a carbon copy of Johnston, right? ;)

Lavy is a carbon copy of Trotz too. ;)

Torts is doing the same things that Todd Richards did in Columbus ;)

You get where this is going. The potential exists for his replacement to be just as maddening, but it's not set in stone. There is also the potential for the next coach to not have his head up his narrow ass and display some form of competence in some aspect of coaching.
I've seen all of those fanbases complain about their coaches attachment to certain players when I've read their GDTs (which I often do when we beat a team... I like reading their sadness). It's just that when a team is winning people don't focus on the negatives nearly as much, same as on this board.

I remember people freaking out about Cooper on the Lightning board last year. I bet most on here would love to have him as coach, looking in from the outside.

Also, I think you have something in your eye... it's twitching a lot...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not one to jump on the "fire everyone" trains, but whatever Hak is studying, it isn't working.

I don't think Hextall would fire him unless he felt pressure himself and with Snider's passing, where would that come from exactly? I still think firing assistants (minus Knob) is the next step and then after that we'll see.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And when the next coach does exactly the same things, be sure to remember who called that too. ;)

You mean the next coach will play Lehtera, Weise, Raffl, and Leier?
And play MacDonald as well? And even Manning at times?
You mean a coach can only play who's on the roster?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You mean the next coach will play Lehtera, Weise, Raffl, and Leier?
And play MacDonald as well? And even Manning at times?
You mean a coach can only play who's on the roster?
It may be different players but lots of coaches are stupid enough to overuse bad players for no reason.

It doesn't absolve Hakstol of blame, it just means most are just as dumb as he is.

It's not about needing to use bad guys, it's that they want to use them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I agree that there's not a magic fix to be found in line shuffling, but the 1st and 4th line have stayed the same for every game except the two where Leier had a UBI.

Trying to prop up one of the middle six lines with Raffl's strong possession game should have been tried a while ago.

Yes, Raffl has a strong possession game, but geez, he's gone from mediocre to Rinaldo bad offensively.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It may be different players but lots of coaches are stupid enough to overuse bad players for no reason.

It doesn't absolve Hakstol of blame, it just means most are just as dumb as he is.

It's not about needing to use bad guys, it's that they want to use them.

The TOI just doesn't back that up.
But no matter who the coach is, the 3-4 weakest forwards will still get 8-10 minutes a game, unless you can get the entire team to train with Provorov.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've seen all of those fanbases complain about their coaches attachment to certain players when I've read their GDTs (which I often do when we beat a team... I like reading their sadness). It's just that when a team is winning people don't focus on the negatives nearly as much, same as on this board.

I remember people freaking out about Cooper on the Lightning board last year. I bet most on here would love to have him as coach, looking in from the outside.

Also, I think you have something in your eye... it's twitching a lot...

We aren't going to see eye to eye on the importance of good coaching so I will just move on.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
talent wins in all sports, but in football and in hockey , coaching is a big deal. Sometimes you just need a new voice, sometimes you need a guy to light a fire under their ass, sometimes you need a coach that you actually respect. I just get the feeling that the guys don't really play hard for Hakstol.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm not one to jump on the "fire everyone" trains, but whatever Hak is studying, it isn't working.

I don't think Hextall would fire him unless he felt pressure himself and with Snider's passing, where would that come from exactly? I still think firing assistants (minus Knob) is the next step and then after that we'll see.

I wouldn't mind this, actually. I think it would undermine Hakstok quite a bit and he'd be on thin and cracking ice at that point (as if he isn't already, and if he isn't, he should be), and that would hasten his exit. And that would please me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
talent wins in all sports, but in football and in hockey , coaching is a big deal. Sometimes you just need a new voice, sometimes you need a guy to light a fire under their ass, sometimes you need a coach that you actually respect. I just get the feeling that the guys don't really play hard for Hakstol.

This team NEEDS a coach that shows emotion SOMETIMES. We have seen this team play better when angry or emotional countless times before. Having a coach that can extract that out of them periodically would absolutely add points in the standings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Would we be okay with Knoblauch as the head coach? Or do we look elsewhere? Who are even the best candidates at this point?

I wouldn't want to set him up for failure, so I have no idea.

I kind of like Curu's idea of Holmgren as interim coach until the end of the season. It's kind of wacky, but Knoblauch would be the X's and O'x guy with Homer as the piss and vinegar guy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Would we be okay with Knoblauch as the head coach? Or do we look elsewhere? Who are even the best candidates at this point?

I don't even know, but it's the right question to be asking, or one of the right questions. It feels like it might be a little early, but I don't know. No one knows, I think. I would hate to burn through him before he's ready if he has the chance to be someone kind of special. I remember when the Blues let Q go, and how stupid I KNEW that decision was. That doesn't really apply to this situation, it's different, but the good ones are pretty few and far between, I'd say. Playing talent is more important, for sure, but I'd like to think we could find someone who amplifies our strengths instead of exacerbating our weaknesses. Maybe Knob can become that guy, but who knows if he is that guy right now? Tough call. And extra tough because the last dart that Hexy threw at the coaching dartboard was actually a human fart.

EDIT: The last 2 if you include Gordo, and we definitely should include Gordo, because he is also a human fart.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I don't think knoblauch is the answer. I think you need a guy that has some experience and some legit credentials. Sutter make sense, but he doesn't compliment our talent. I have always liked dave tippett personally.

Reactions: hatcher

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This team NEEDS a coach that shows emotion SOMETIMES. We have seen this team play better when angry or emotional countless times before. Having a coach that can extract that out of them periodically would absolutely add points in the standings.

we used to be the most emotional team in the league with lavy and berube. now we are just zombies out on the ice.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I want someone with possibly some experience but I don't want to be part of the recycled coaching carousel that goes around the NHL.

I wouldn't either, but the tolerable thing about Sutter - while acknowledging that it would suck quite a bit to have his style - is that he comes with an expiration date, presumably. Take him out of mothballs to come in for a year or two and he will be more than ready to return to mothballs after that, I'd think.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We aren't going to see eye to eye on the importance of good coaching so I will just move on.
But I'm not even talking about how important coaching is.

The only thing I'm saying is that even good coaches, like the ones you mentioned, do the things that this board hates.

Reactions: NYCFlyer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The TOI just doesn't back that up.
But no matter who the coach is, the 3-4 weakest forwards will still get 8-10 minutes a game, unless you can get the entire team to train with Provorov.
"Overuse" doesn't exclusively mean ice time.

Lehtera being on the PP is a perfect example of using a bad player more then absolutely necessary. That's definitely overusing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad