Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Hakstolopithicus NorthDakotis

He still hasn't evolved to an NHL coach...

So let's see...Hakstol's milestones as a Flyers coach thus far

1) 1st time in team history to win 10 games in a row and miss the playoffs
2) 1st time in team history to be shutout 5 times in first 18 games (on pace for 20+ shutouts in the season)

Let's keep adding to this list of futility....

he's building himself a hell of a resume.. hahaha

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We have more offensive black holes in the forwards than on the defense. It's one ES goal in 18 games now for the Honey Bees. Hagg getting 17 minutes at ES and Sanheim getting 15 isn't why the entire bottom 9 are struggling to put the puck in the net.

To expand on this, if you put the Flyers defense in Toronto with the same ice time distribution I don't think their forwards would suddenly stop scoring.

Reactions: Alchemy

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I still laugh at him of all people took that dumb ass challenge in that Nashville game earlier in the year. He’s the most risk averse coach in almost everything he does but when he finally takes a risk it’s one that had little to no shot working in his favor. :laugh:

That's his excuse for not trying anything else that might seem risky. He was burnt once before, he won't get burnt again. However, that's an incredibly stupid philosophy to have.

I had high hopes for Hak when he was first hired because he seemed like he got it, but it's clear he's in over his head. Why Hextall can't see that is beyond me, but gut feeling us that because Hextall tired his proverbial cart to the Hakstol horse, if he fires him, it will mean admitting a mistake.

Someone mentioned who to replace Hakstol with. There's a few names I can think of. Mike Stothers would be a great choice. He's cut his teeth in the AHL and he's coached plenty of the LA Kings that are currently on the roster.

Someone mentioned Paul MacLean, who I think would be another good choice. He got the shaft in Ottawa because Melnyk wanted his own guy, Dave Cameron, in there.

I'd also have no problems with Jack Capuano. I think he got a raw deal in Long Islands and Garth Snow is basically doing all he can to survive there. He's got no problems throwing people under the bus and I think that sums up Capuano and what happened there.

Whatever direction the Flyers go in, my hope is that Murphy and Laperriere are also shown the door. I really believe Dillabaugh and Knoblauch are victims of circumstance there and they should be retained.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To expand on this, if you put the Flyers defense in Toronto with the same ice time distribution I don't think their forwards would suddenly stop scoring.
Maybe, but I doubt Babcock puts as much emphasis on getting pucks to the D for point shots as Hakstol seems to.

And I never said there weren't black holes in the forward group. In fact checkers I've definitely complained about them more than the defense. I was specifically talking about how much they try to get it to those the defensemen to shoot and how that is a terrible strategy with the current group we have.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd also have no problems with Jack Capuano. I think he got a raw deal in Long Islands and Garth Snow is basically doing all he can to survive there. He's got no problems throwing people under the bus and I think that sums up Capuano and what happened there.

Holy f*** noooooooooooooooooooooo

Go ask Islanders fans what they think of him. If you think Hakstols bad about playing favorites with bad players...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The biggest takeaway, conclusion if you will, that I have come to since last nights game, is that this team is completely f***ed. Not just now, but for the foreseeable future.

That's going to continue to be the case until we have a competent coaching staff. All the prospects in the world won't make them into LEGIT contenders with this coaching staff. Whether that requires Hextall to be shown the door as well remains to be seen. I'm not even sure his boss cares as long as attendance stays strong.

Reactions: SuchySays

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I used to think it was because we didn't have a decent defense was the struggles of this team. It appears that the forwards are the problems. We don't have enough guys that can score. We really don't have a go to guy to put pucks in the net. Sure Simmonds scores goals but he should be a secondary player because he isn't a gamebreaking shooter. He just collects the trash. Need more guys that can put the puck in the net.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I used to think it was because we didn't have a decent defense was the struggles of this team. It appears that the forwards are the problems. We don't have enough guys that can score. We really don't have a go to guy to put pucks in the net. Sure Simmonds scores goals but he should be a secondary player because he isn't a gamebreaking shooter. He just collects the trash. Need more guys that can put the puck in the net.

It really is a collection of players that simply hate to shoot the puck.

Look at Filppula last night. He busted up the middle and had a clear lane to the net and just threw the puck away.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What did Dave Tippett do besides bailing out on a crappy ran organization?

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Safe, structured, defense first, Siesta style hockey, loves veterans. Now that people mention him, Dave Tippett probably would be near the top of Hextall's list if he hit the emergency button and was looking for a new coach.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
What did Dave Tippett do besides bailing out on a crappy ran organization?

You know he was part of the problem right? He basically had every say in all trades, picks and acquisitions along with the GM. He basically had GM powers as a coach. He is as much responsible for f***ing up that team as anyone else.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah it’s Colorado all over again. They’re historically bad & the roster is much better than that.
I don't know man... I think if you asked me to take a guess at the record of a team that though trading for Leighton was a good idea, their record is probably close to my guess. :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know man... I think if you asked me to take a guess at the record of a team that though trading for Leighton was a good idea, their record is probably close to my guess. :laugh:

I was told Chayka was a top 3 GM though.

Reactions: BillDineen

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

But Leighton isn’t on their team. He’s in the minors. It was a pure money move. It cost them $200K for Leighton as their AHL goalie opposed to Domingue who was making $1.1M to play there. I’d imagine McGinn was added to balance the money some as he’s making $200K as well. Tampa probably wanted them to take his contract for an open contract slot too.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But Leighton isn’t on their team. He’s in the minors. It was a pure money move. It cost them $200K for Leighton as their AHL goalie opposed to Domingue who was making $1.1M to play there. I’d imagine McGinn was added to balance the money some as he’s making $200K as well. Tampa probably wanted them to take his contract for an open contract slot too.
Based on that record, Leighton lucked out by ending up on the better team in that organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->