Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Changing lines isn't going to fix anything...i think all of these players have pretty much played together at some point and it's the same results year after year. It's like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. The ****liner is coming into port.

I agree that there's not a magic fix to be found in line shuffling, but the 1st and 4th line have stayed the same for every game except the two where Leier had a UBI.

Trying to prop up one of the middle six lines with Raffl's strong possession game should have been tried a while ago.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hakstolopithicus NorthDakotis

He still hasn't evolved to an NHL coach...

So let's see...Hakstol's milestones as a Flyers coach thus far

1) 1st time in team history to win 10 games in a row and miss the playoffs
2) 1st time in team history to be shutout 5 times in first 18 games (on pace for 20+ shutouts in the season)

Let's keep adding to this list of futility....

He ****ing stinks. I'd like to close the book on this terrible story. I mean, I guess I'd miss the jokes. That's about it. We'd think of something to joke about with a new guy, though, probably.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Who is even out there that you replace him with?

When the "brain" trust in Florida let Gerard Gallant go, a year ago, I really wanted Hexy to bring him into the organization to help with young player development and be a fall-back if/when they lost faith in Hak.

Unfortunately, our current coaching "depth" only gives Hak more job security than he deserves.

Looks like this was done by design. No bueno.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree that there's not a magic fix to be found in line shuffling, but the 1st and 4th line have stayed the same for every game except the two where Leier had a UBI.

Trying to prop up one of the middle six lines with Raffl's strong possession game should have been tried a while ago.

Like, why would you be so hellbent on not breaking up a 4th line that isn't scoring anyway? Sure, they have some good shifts here and there, but they have contributed a grand total of 3 goals and 2 of those came in 1 game. Move Raffl up and the assess if he can help another line while not killing the 4th line. Call up Martel to buzz around on the 4th line with the honey bees.

Try taking Jake off of the 1st line and putting Konecny there. See if G and Coots can still work there magic while Jake boosts another line.

Disclaimer: I expect none of this to happen.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Weal - Patrick - Voracek
Raffl - Filppula - Simmonds
Leier - Laughton - Martel

Experiment for christ sakes. DO SOMETHING.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When the "brain" trust in Florida let Gerard Gallant go, a year ago, I really wanted Hexy to bring him into the organization to help with young player development and be a fall-back if/when they lost faith in Hak.

Unfortunately, our current coaching "depth" only gives Hak more job security than he deserves.

Looks like this was done by design. No bueno.

Yep. Gordor will be even worse than Hakstol and Knoblauch isn't experienced enough.

Knob should have replaced Gordor at the Phantoms HC after his abysmal showing in the playoffs. Then after a year or two in LHV with the kids, he could have been brought up to replace Hak while already having a lot of familiarity with the kids coming through the Phantoms like Morin, Myers, Friedman, Lindblom, Vorobyev, etc.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How about Holmgren as interim coach for the rest of the season? That would be a fun throwback even if the results didn't improve.

I am 100% on board for this.

It would be entertaining as hell. Just looking at that mug on the bench would be enough to keep me watching games.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They are doing good but shut out 5 times has a lot to do with them and these last 2 tight checking game they were ****.

It really doesn't have a lot to do with them. Teams can focus entirely on the top line defensively. It's on the depth scoring.

You can't rely on a single line to win every night.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When Hakstol is inevitably fired after never being able to figure it out, I want everyone to remember who was the first on that bandwagon many many moons ago :naughty:
And when the next coach does exactly the same things, be sure to remember who called that too. ;)

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
It really doesn't have a lot to do with them. Teams can focus entirely on the top line defensively. It's on the depth scoring.

You can't rely on a single line to win every night.
I get it but there is no fight is what I'm saying out of anyone. I been great all year about leaving the top line alone.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't expect anyone to do this but it would be pretty damn funny if someone made one of these for Hakstol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And when the next coach does exactly the same things, be sure to remember who called that too. ;)

Kind of like Sullivan did in Pittsburgh? He's a carbon copy of Johnston, right? ;)

Lavy is a carbon copy of Trotz too. ;)

Torts is doing the same things that Todd Richards did in Columbus ;)

You get where this is going. The potential exists for his replacement to be just as maddening, but it's not set in stone. There is also the potential for the next coach to not have his head up his narrow ass and display some form of competence in some aspect of coaching.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I highly dislike how Hakstol refuses to show any emotion during a game. I don't think yelling at players constantly works but damn sometimes you need to fire your team up.

Reactions: Jtown and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was referring to the “winning ten games in a row in season & missing the playoffs” one. No team in league history accomplished that feat until the Flyers did last year.

In the 100th anniversary of the NHL no less.

World class embarassment.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I highly dislike how Hakstol refuses to show any emotion during a game. I don't think yelling at players constantly works but damn sometimes you need to fire your team up.
You should keep your mouth shut when you do not know what to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->