Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I finished my first play through after 53 hours with the Blue Lions and I don’t regret any of it.

I’m now doing a Black Eagle play through, this time on classic since I’ve never played a Fire Emblem Game prior to this one.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Others might disagree but I really wouldn't use fishing to buff your professor exp unless you're close to leveling up. The XP gain is minimal.

a slight correction:
only fish (really) during "Fistful of Fish" events. this is when it makes sense to do it because you can get a level and a half (depending on how many hooks you saved up). this is how i got to Level A+ really fast

also also
Speaking of my second route, holy **** it's like 7/8 level ups are only two roll improvements. Ingrid for example is level 15 and still only has 8 attack.

that was like my ignatz. he only leveled up no word of a lie - in two stats in 12 level ups. the time skip saved him though.
Ingrid is going to make me so nervous because on my golden deer path i got her and while i had to fix some stuff she quickly grew into a beast for me. she basically solo'ed the first half of the final boss for me.

speaking off - i beat the Golden Deer path today and am starting the Blue Lions
that was just.... amazing. like. the story, the end goals, everything. I picked my S Support with Claude (In a way i wish you were able to pick it AFTER the final battle...... - but it is what it is. and no word of a lie - i never wanted to laugh, cry, and punch someone in the throat at the same time in a game like i wanted to do with Claude. it was literally, utterly perfect.

Hands down - this is now my favourite game on the switch, my favourite fire emblem of the series. and i can not wait for the DLC to come. there is a part of me that is gonna wish i took a break (when i did Fates i played all 3 paths and by the end i was burnt out, but thn the story was no where as complex, deep and dark as it is now).

right off the bat, i found out why Felix calls Dimitri a boar, and holy cow. just... wow.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Others might disagree but I really wouldn't use fishing to buff your professor exp unless you're close to leveling up. The XP gain is minimal.

a slight correction:
only fish (really) during "Fistful of Fish" events. this is when it makes sense to do it because you can get a level and a half (depending on how many hooks you saved up). this is how i got to Level A+ really fast

also also
Speaking of my second route, holy **** it's like 7/8 level ups are only two roll improvements. Ingrid for example is level 15 and still only has 8 attack.

that was like my ignatz. he only leveled up no word of a lie - in two stats in 12 level ups. the time skip saved him though.
Ingrid is going to make me so nervous because on my golden deer path i got her and while i had to fix some stuff she quickly grew into a beast for me. she basically solo'ed the first half of the final boss for me.

speaking off - i beat the Golden Deer path today and am starting the Blue Lions
that was just.... amazing. like. the story, the end goals, everything. I picked my S Support with Claude (In a way i wish you were able to pick it AFTER the final battle...... - but it is what it is. and no word of a lie - i never wanted to laugh, cry, and punch someone in the throat at the same time in a game like i wanted to do with Claude. it was literally, utterly perfect.

Hands down - this is now my favourite game on the switch, my favourite fire emblem of the series. and i can not wait for the DLC to come. there is a part of me that is gonna wish i took a break (when i did Fates i played all 3 paths and by the end i was burnt out, but thn the story was no where as complex, deep and dark as it is now).

right off the bat, i found out why Felix calls Dimitri a boar, and holy cow. just... wow.

Watching Dimitri's progression like
30r1af.png

Also as for your growths in your second run, Ingrid's attack growth sucks until she gets to her advanced class. I basically stopped using her and replaced her with best girl Petra. Though at the same time NG+ on normal was a mistake. The statue buffs are too strong and everyone is way overleveled. I've basically stopped doing "free day" battles and started auto instructing and still everyone is A rank in their goal stats and about 8 levels over recommended. I could probably play this game by autoing every turn at this point. My third playthrough I'm definitely going to play the game on Hard. Or insanity if it gets patched in by that point.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Watching Dimitri's progression like
30r1af.png

Also as for your growths in your second run, Ingrid's attack growth sucks until she gets to her advanced class. I basically stopped using her and replaced her with best girl Petra. Though at the same time NG+ on normal was a mistake. The statue buffs are too strong and everyone is way overleveled. I've basically stopped doing "free day" battles and started auto instructing and still everyone is A rank in their goal stats and about 8 levels over recommended. I could probably play this game by autoing every turn at this point. My third playthrough I'm definitely going to play the game on Hard. Or insanity if it gets patched in by that point.

LOL there was some of that in the GD path and I was like wow you went 0 to 100 really fast.
yeah - I think Ingrid is very much an "endgame" type of character.

I know in NG+ you can (or was told) you can change difficulty. I can consider doing it but for me normal is fine, it gave me (personally) enough to think what i was doing, and be worried if something missed. which is how i like it for myself.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
LOL there was some of that in the GD path and I was like wow you went 0 to 100 really fast.

I know in NG+ you can (or was told) you can change difficulty. I can consider doing it but for me normal is fine, it gave me (personally) enough to think what i was doing, and be worried if something missed. which is how i like it for myself.
I don't think you can change your difficulty to make it harder, but then again I haven't tried. It's just that after four in game months, my team was more or less unstoppable. The challenge is gone. And of course, I'm playing Blue Lions more to see the story but the combat has truly gone brain dead at this point. I mean I can push forward with Byleth, Petra, Felix, Sylvain and Dimitri and kill almost everything but demonic beasts and the odd assassin with high evade. But then I have Mercedes, Dorothea, and Annette who double just about everything.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

NG+ has made the default difficulty a bit too easy. Doing three battles has really power leveled my units.

When I do Golden Deer I’ll be upping it.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Slowly making my way through this game and holy hell is it fun. Chose Blue Lions as my first house, happy with my choice so far love all my characters. I haven't ever played a FE game before so I'm learning it all as I go, probably should've focused on who I wanted to recruit because my stats are all over the place and isn't high enough to get anyone yet. Poor Sylvain went down early (RIP) but otherwise everyones still going strong. Felix turned from a squishy liability to my MVP. Dude just slices through the competition.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Getting real sick of Dimitri's shit, I must say. Really hope this one note stuff starts getting developed.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Fire Emblem's my favourite video game series, pretty easily. I just don't have a Switch lol

I remember getting a Wii back in the day solely to play Radiant Dawn, and I'll probably do the same now with this game. It's just a matter of when. I've seen some stuff on Three Houses and it looks incredible.

Lol I caved and got it yesterday, I don't care it's so much fun and I'm not even far into it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What a great game. I love my Golden Deer crew to the point where I really don't want to sub anyone else in in battles. I recruited a whole bunch of people but I only use Felix with any regularity even though Ignatz and Raphael are my weak links.

Definitely was not expecting that "twist" with the Flame Emperor despite there being enough hints about it in hindsight.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What a great game. I love my Golden Deer crew to the point where I really don't want to sub anyone else in in battles. I recruited a whole bunch of people but I only use Felix with any regularity even though Ignatz and Raphael are my weak links.

Definitely was not expecting that "twist" with the Flame Emperor despite there being enough hints about it in hindsight.
I think people will always have a special connection with their first batch of students. Like for me, I absolutely adore Petra and I committed to making her the best unit in my Blue Lions run. And I like almost all the students and the lord a great deal (just not Bernadetta. She has the benefit of some of the funniest supports but the JRPG/anime cliche of the shy/introverted girl who is overly abrasive, loud, and rude about how shy she is will never not be annoying to me. As far as character writing goes she's clearly one of the most pandering archetypes in the game)

But I've developed a strong fondness for some Blue Lions (Mercedes, Dedue, Sylvain, Felix) and a couple Deer (Marianne and Leonie) I'd say it's still worth it to give the other students a try on different routes. You can use NG+ perks to make subsequent playthroughs faster.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
On the subject of liking characters I decided to rank the characters for fun, and cause I'm downloading Mario Maker 2 to take a little break from FE before I finish the Blue Lions route. In fairness to the Golden Deer I didn't play their route yet.

1CBXaN8.png

S tier:

Petra: Bestgirl/10, tons of funny supports, super endearing, and her S-support is incredibly heartwarming. Plus she's an absolute monster on the battlefield. #4 on the deployment charts, number one in my heart.
Sylvain: Really incredible how much depth they threw into this guy. You're meant to think he's nothing but a meathead wanna be lady killer but he has arguably, the most depth and intelligence of any non-Lord in the game. His supports are almost all some of the best written in the game. Pretty good in the Paladin class though I've read others had bad luck with his growth.
Claude: Even though I haven't played his route, I respect that he appears to be the most truly peaceful and honorable of the lords, and I have to give him credit, he's a charming character.
Dedue: How the game took a robot who seemed like a brainless shield for his King and turned him into one of the most sympathetic and heartwarming characters is beyond me but also rather incredible.
Mercedes: At first glance with her voice and religious ties I really expected her to be a goody two shoes captain positivity...and she is, but at the same time she's also one of the most endearing characters in the game and...I mean if you can watch one of her supports and not feel at least a little happier, then you're probably dead inside. She's also the best hybrid healer/mag attacker in the game.

A tier:

Edelgard: Still one of my favorites and I don't regret siding with her first. But, I can't ignore that she made some very questionable decisions along the way. It's all that's keeping her out of S tier because she is one of the more complex and divisive characters Fire Emblem has ever produced, and for those reasons, imo, one of the most interesting Lords ever written for a Fire Emblem game. Also an absolute titan on the battlefield.
Dorothea: Great supports with everyone, ended up being the character Camilla should have been all along. Incredibly well written, and no one else is a long range nuke like her. Would be S tier if she had more relevance to the story outside of getting along with everyone at the school and being a vehicle for "war is hell" messages.
Alois: Super endearing and friendly. Just an all around likable guy.
Lindhart: His sarcasm is the stuff of legends. Have him lower than S-tier because most people just recruit him to warp Byleth or the Lord to the boss to quick beat missions. Lindy deserves better.
Manuela: The answer to the complaints that FE was turning into a stupid waifu simulator. At first glance she seems like a pandering device to "sex sells" marketing, but she's written very well. Full of flaws and selfish wants, but also incredibly sympathetic to the victims of war. Only keep her out of S tier cause I don't really use her in battle ever. Headcanon is she's the war medic that doesn't fight.
Ferdinand: One of the best support convo redemption arcs. Starts out completely self involved and rather dumb. Turns his own ideals of nobility on their head to equate nobility to genuine gallantry, humility, and compassion for others. Would have him S-tier on his supports alone but he's pretty meh in combat. Which I suppose narratively is nice to tie into his humility but ultimately disappointing.
Rodrigue: Just a great all around character. His contribution to the Blue Lions story really makes the story richer all around. Can't spoil more than that but I really like the guy. Strikes me as like if Benjen Stark was even more likable.
Lysithea: I've enjoyed her supports, but what really strikes me is her backstory and how she can have an influence on Edelgard's story. Plus she's got the highest possible magic damage output in the game. No one else can down the Death Knight in one shot the first time he's encountered.

B tier:

Marianne: Just a very sweet but unfortunately reserved girl. Very useful unit. Gotta start making these shorter cause I'm running out of steam already.
Hilda: Seems like a fun girl. Don't like her more than the characters above but I do like her enough.
Dimitri: Redemption arcs are nice and the groundwork for why he loses it is well established but his
madness/murder
period is so one note and repetitive that at times I just found myself rolling my eyes every time he'd speak. Still a good character but that 5-6 chapter period really weighs down his strength as a character in my eyes. One of the best units in the game though.
Gilbert: If you took the humor out of Davos Seaworth, you get Gilbert. His loyalty and wisdom make him endearing enough.
Sothis: Annoying that we have to repeat the little girl is a goddess cliche, but she's better written than most and quite amusing. But her time in the game is a bit short.
Leonie: Teeters between likable and unlikable. A better potential Paladin than Ferdinand but not written with nearly as much depth.
Ashe: Basically the Ash Ketchum of the game. Lives for his desire to be a good/gallant guy but it also feels like he bases that desire on idealism rather than something that is intrinsic in his personality so I find it a little less than endearing. Also his voice is annoying. Lord Lohhh-NAHH-tooooe. Why do you have to pronounce it like that.
Annette: I appreciate her backstory and her general personality but I do somewhat find her a bit forgettable. Good mage but not the best.
Ingrid: Best support line is with Dimitri. I respect her dedication to being a knight but I find the rest of her to be rather vanilla and forgettable.
Felix: One of the best non Lord units in the game and serves as a good straight man for Dimitri's bullshit, but overall he's really just rude to people and I find it off putting more often than not.
Caspar: I like him more for how other Black Eagles react in his supports. The first and only character I let die. Watched his supports around the internet. Apparently he's good if you keep him alive but I didn't bother.
Jeralt: Mostly likeable but his specific lack of knowledge is plot convenience to preserve mystery and ultimately he's one of the more poorly written parts of the game. Still felt sad when
he died
Lonato: Very short part of the game but I really enjoyed his limited presence. His backstory with Ashe is very well written.
Seteth: Good backstory. I like his devotion to his sister. But he's often quite rude.

C tier:

Shamir: Great archer but also a recruit for people not good enough to train their own archer. Not crazy about her personality.
Ignatz: Boring. Never use him. Boy voice, man voice.
Lorenz: I've heard he's a well developed character but I haven't seen that development. Just strikes me as a smug dick.
Catherine:
Carries out Rhea's order to burn a village full of citizens and otherwise carries out Rhea's orders to purge heretics.
also I just don't really buy into her personality much. She and Shamir were made to be A supported.
Flayn: I just feel like she's unnecessarily tacked on to the story. Not a fan.
Hubert: Has some redeeming qualities but otherwise can't shake the feeling he'd literally kill a baby if Edelgard asked him to. Don't like him very much. Not in D tier cause he has some amusing supports and because he's a very good mage.
Kronya: Wish there was more development to her character. Just a stereotypical female baddie. Her appearance and connection to a certain character make her memorable but barely.
Death Knight: Wish there was more to him. Memorable enough villain but I do feel there was a bit of wasted potential there.
Byleth M/F: Deserves its own post but to keep it brief I can say that I understand why he/she wasn't voiced and I appreciate that they wrote around it, but with how much Byleth matters to the story, it was a wasted opportunity not to give the character more personality. The worst part is so many of the students talk about how important Byleth is to their lives but it's not credible when Byleth barely ever says anything. You have to invent your own headcanon for what Byleth might be saying/doing for them "off camera"
Raphael: Haven't played GD, but he seems like little more than a meme to me.
Hanneman: Just don't find his academic personality very relatable/endearing. Don't use him battle. Big man meh.
Rhea: Would have her lower if she wasn't so integral to the plot. Even putting Edelgard's story/ending aside, I find her to be quite unlikable/duplicitous/lacking interest in the value of human life before the time skip ever even happens. In my opinion, she's as much
the villain of this game if not more so than Edelgard

D tier:

Bernadetta: GUYS I'M SO SHY DON'T LOOK AT ME STOP LYING AND SAYING YOU LIKE ME DON'T COME IN MY ROOM DON'T EVEN LOOK AT ME OR SAY MY NAME I'M SO SHY/10
Cyril: His entire character/personality can be wrapped up in a few words: "I really like Rhea!" I really don't understand what the point of Cyril was other than to give Rhea another ally to fight if you chose Edelgard.[/SPOILER][/SPOILER]

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Just got this last night. The intro was kind of long but I get why with 3 houses to cover. It’s pretty addicting though, ended up losing track of time and playing 6 hours. I picked the Black Eagles

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Hilda is top tier for me. All of her interactions are hilarious. Definitely agree with you on Cyril and Bernadetta though.

I didn't notice the support tab in the menu until a long time in so I've got dozens of support clips to catch up on now.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've sunk an embarassingly large amount of hours into this game already and I'm still only on part one? I don't know how many parts there are mind you, and I don't want to know. But damn there's a lot to do. And I'm already thinking of the replay value, I wanna see how the game plays from the other two houses, they had some characters I wanted to use (and I'm still trying to if they joined my class already lol)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00