Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Finishing these DLC chapters in gif form

giphy.gif
Definitely harder. I just finished the third battle. I think the reason it’s harder is because everyone’s at the same level as you meaning you really have to pair them. Yuri is actually really good if you use him right though. Also his skill where he doesn’t get targeted is great.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Is.....is this bad?
No, given that the DLC is only 7 chapters it is good that the battles are longer. However, I'll say that going through another playthrough and then moving to this new FE3H DLC is tough to do from a narrative perspective. But then again The Witcher is a gold standard game for narrative.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
No, given that the DLC is only 7 chapters it is good that the battles are longer. However, I'll say that going through another playthrough and then moving to this new FE3H DLC is tough to do from a narrative perspective. But then again The Witcher is a gold standard game for narrative.

Dumb question, but is the DLC integrated into the main story lines or is it a separate thing altogether? I'm guessing by the reference to the Witcher it is more like those types of expansions?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Dumb question, but is the DLC integrated into the main story lines or is it a separate thing altogether? I'm guessing by the reference to the Witcher it is more like those types of expansions?
I haven't gotten that far into this yet but this is definitely like a "5th route" kind of thing since the events of the story start after Byleth gets the Sword of the Creator but before the time skip.

Although from what I understand, completing the 7 chapters makes the new characters recruit-able in the main game. So it's more like a canonical story insert that could or could not happen in each route's timeline.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I haven't gotten that far into this yet but this is definitely like a "5th route" kind of thing since the events of the story start after Byleth gets the Sword of the Creator but before the time skip.

Although from what I understand, completing the 7 chapters makes the new characters recruit-able in the main game.

Oh I see.

So more of "I should start a new playthrough" thing rather than a stand alone thing.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh I see.

So more of "I should start a new playthrough" thing rather than a stand alone thing.
No I should have been more clear. This is...in a sense a standalone thing in that it doesn't trigger from a new save file. In the main menu there will be a side story option. When you start, the House you chose to teach is left completely ambiguous and all three House leaders are in your team. Taken by itself it is like a completely separate story, but one that they try to integrate into the main story, and if you go back to the main routes after beating it you can recruit those characters as though what happened narratively in this DLC happened in any of the four actual playthroughs as a previously not seen adventure before the time skip.

So to put it another way, anyone who felt Black Eagles being too short at like 17 or so chapters can say, well it was 24 if we say that Cindered Shadows was part of that story.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
No I should have been more clear. This is...in a sense a standalone thing in that it doesn't trigger from a new save file. In the main menu there will be a side story option. When you start, the House you chose to teach is left completely ambiguous and all three House leaders are in your team. Taken by itself it is like a completely separate story, but one that they try to integrate into the main story, and if you go back to the main routes after beating it you can recruit those characters as though what happened narratively in this DLC happened in any of the four actual playthroughs as a previously not seen adventure before the time skip.

So to put it another way, anyone who felt Black Eagles being too short at like 17 or so chapters can say, well it was 24 if we say that Cindered Shadows was part of that story.

Oooh I think I get it.

That's an interesting way of doing it.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm doing BE, chapter 8, should I pause on that and do the DLC so I can add the new characters to my current squad? Or finish the BE story, then do the DLC, then start a GD file and get the new guys earlier in the story?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm doing BE, chapter 8, should I pause on that and do the DLC so I can add the new characters to my current squad? Or finish the BE story, then do the DLC, then start a GD file and get the new guys earlier in the story?
Might want to do the DLC before you continue.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Ended up picking up Cindered Shadows last night. Looking forward to deep diving back into this game.

Also started up a New Game+. I went for the Black Eagles (Edelgard route) in my first game. What should I do next lore-wise - Blue or Gold? Definitely going to finish both at some point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ended up picking up Cindered Shadows last night. Looking forward to deep diving back into this game.

Also started up a New Game+. I went for the Black Eagles (Edelgard route) in my first game. What should I do next lore-wise - Blue or Gold? Definitely going to finish both at some point.
Probably Blue Lions since Golden Deer is pretty separated from the other two in terms of lore.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The dlc is a touch harder and if I did classic I might've had three units for the last battle lol. Still took eight hours, just have to go back to Abyss Town while exploring to recruit them for the main story.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I just downloaded a new game like Fire Emblem because of this quarantine. It's called Shining Force and it's definitely an older game. It came in the Sega Classics (or whatever it's called). $30 bucks and it comes with Shining Force 1 and 2 and a few other games. A good turn-based game to pass the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->