Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Beat my first playthrough the other day with the Black Eagles, now I'm going through it with the Golden Deer. This is one of my favourites in the FE series I think probably 4th behind Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Sacred Stones the first two being undoubtedly my favourites and will never be dethroned. A few little things in my first playthrough that irked me a little bit or maybe could have been changed IMO.

The whole going back to the Monastery after every fight seemed a little weird to me. Not just actually going through the whole monthly/weekly process but just in terms of storyline it seemed weird that after a big battle, especially towards the end, we'd just go back to the Monastery for the month. Like after the battle for that big bridge, it seemed like a really big turning point in the story and I thought hey maybe we'd stay here now and then move forward from there, but nope they're like "hey big win guys, let's chill back at school for a bit now." I think ideally they could've made it so we did the same monthly routine but changed the setting of it, like imagine doing that stuff at the bridge after that chapter. That would've been a lot of work probably, and isn't that big of a deal, but would've made it so much better for me.

Maybe this is just me, but the whole making yourself the protagonist bit isn't that cool. Especially when there are these really cool cutscenes mixed in and there's so much happening but the main character says literally nothing. Like when your dad dies, not even a cry for help or "noooo" just dead silence and a few tears. That's such a big moment in the story and the main person is speechless. I'd much much much rather just play a fully fledged story as someone else being the main character and have actual dialogue.

For example, the Path of Radiance series is so amazing because I fell so into the story of Ike and everyone else. In direct comparison with this game's scene where the main character's father dies, the PoR version is so much better because of the emotion Ike has in that moment, it was so immersive for me and made the game that much better. Or in this game when your dad dies and you go through his diary, he just calls you "the child" lolol like what. That's your kid and you can't even write their name down because of the whole I'm the protagonist bit. "I faked the kid's death" like that's your kid man say their name lmao.

And the pacing seemed a bit rushed near the middle/end. So you find out Edelgard is The Flame Emperor and then the next chapter she's incited a whole army/rebellion already, like woaah slow down there buckaroo. Let this sink in for a second. Or towards the end when so abruptly the story just decides hey, a massive battle happened and Dmitri and Claude are pretty much gone. I feel like that's a massive story point as well and it's just dropped on you like it's nothing then you move on.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Finally dove in, and dove in pretty hard (15 hours in 2 days).

This game is awesome. I play slow and methodical (driving my wife who just finished her 90+ hour play through a little nuts :laugh:), and it's exactly what the gaming doctor ordered.

Lots of 2019 left, but this is the early GOTY favourite for me.

I went with the Black Eagles.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Beat my first playthrough the other day with the Black Eagles, now I'm going through it with the Golden Deer. This is one of my favourites in the FE series I think probably 4th behind Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Sacred Stones the first two being undoubtedly my favourites and will never be dethroned. A few little things in my first playthrough that irked me a little bit or maybe could have been changed IMO.

The whole going back to the Monastery after every fight seemed a little weird to me. Not just actually going through the whole monthly/weekly process but just in terms of storyline it seemed weird that after a big battle, especially towards the end, we'd just go back to the Monastery for the month. Like after the battle for that big bridge, it seemed like a really big turning point in the story and I thought hey maybe we'd stay here now and then move forward from there, but nope they're like "hey big win guys, let's chill back at school for a bit now." I think ideally they could've made it so we did the same monthly routine but changed the setting of it, like imagine doing that stuff at the bridge after that chapter. That would've been a lot of work probably, and isn't that big of a deal, but would've made it so much better for me.

Maybe this is just me, but the whole making yourself the protagonist bit isn't that cool. Especially when there are these really cool cutscenes mixed in and there's so much happening but the main character says literally nothing. Like when your dad dies, not even a cry for help or "noooo" just dead silence and a few tears. That's such a big moment in the story and the main person is speechless. I'd much much much rather just play a fully fledged story as someone else being the main character and have actual dialogue.

For example, the Path of Radiance series is so amazing because I fell so into the story of Ike and everyone else. In direct comparison with this game's scene where the main character's father dies, the PoR version is so much better because of the emotion Ike has in that moment, it was so immersive for me and made the game that much better. Or in this game when your dad dies and you go through his diary, he just calls you "the child" lolol like what. That's your kid and you can't even write their name down because of the whole I'm the protagonist bit. "I faked the kid's death" like that's your kid man say their name lmao.

And the pacing seemed a bit rushed near the middle/end. So you find out Edelgard is The Flame Emperor and then the next chapter she's incited a whole army/rebellion already, like woaah slow down there buckaroo. Let this sink in for a second. Or towards the end when so abruptly the story just decides hey, a massive battle happened and Dmitri and Claude are pretty much gone. I feel like that's a massive story point as well and it's just dropped on you like it's nothing then you move on.

Yeah, agreed on the pacing. Towards the end they really should just skip going back to the monastery, it really doesn't make much sense given what's happening in the storyline either.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
For the last 4 story chapters(Golden Deer) I just hit the skip button every time because it really didn't matter anymore and I was ready for the route to end anyway.

I really like the game but if I have one criticism it would be that the strategy RPG portion of it is far far too easy, even on hard/classic. Hopefully the incoming lunatic mode will help with this.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Finally finished the fourth route last night. Now to go back and re-do the Black Eagles route... properly.

...And then the other two. Hopefully before Link's Awakening comes out. Grah.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Man, I've gotta stop being so meticulous in battles with multiple playthroughs becoming a necessity. :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Finally finished the fourth route last night. Now to go back and re-do the Black Eagles route... properly.

...And then the other two. Hopefully before Link's Awakening comes out. Grah.

I am so glad not the only one. doing this. LOL

I am re-doing my golden deer route. (part of me wants to do the Blue Lion Route again) but i need my happy plucky hippy students again - and i have to hurry before Ori + Link comes out (and the beautiful thing is, in april when the new stuff drops i can play all over again)

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Anyone else that has played Black Eagles: is there any way to make Ferd do more damage?

I currently have him as a Cavalier, and he is finally a bit of a tank...but he hits like a sack of pillows.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong....

My quest for mobility is failing me. My team remains a hard hitting but slow moving blob. :laugh:

I tried making Flayn into a Pegasus Knight, but I'm starting to rethink that decision....

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Anyone else that has played Black Eagles: is there any way to make Ferd do more damage?

I currently have him as a Cavalier, and he is finally a bit of a tank...but he hits like a sack of pillows.

My quest for mobility is failing me. My team remains a hard hitting but slow moving blob. :laugh:

I tried making Flayn into a Pegasus Knight, but I'm starting to rethink that decision....
Maybe give him some Killer weapons. He's pretty much a jack of all stats.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Ferdinand is very mediocre. He's honestly better served being used as a physical tank than anything else (he's not a good magic tank since his res is low). On Eagles your best choice for a flyer is wyvern Petra. Though she's just as fantastic if not more so as an assassin. Her cap at damage output is lower than Felix but she has better evade and speed so imo she's one of the best infantry units you can run aside from the lords. Flayn's growths can be mediocre.

If your growths go anything like my BE run you're basically going to have Petra, Hubert, and Dorothea clearing mobs, Lindhardt doing heals and teleports, Edelgard and Ferdinand tanking damage (though in Edelgard's case she would almost always counterkill). I let Caspar die so I'm not gonna comment on the recruits.

EDIT: But like GK said maybe Killer Weapons can help with him but I just sort of gave up on him being an offensive option and just used him to pull physical attackers towards my main offensive weapons.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Ferdinand is very mediocre. He's honestly better served being used as a physical tank than anything else (he's not a good magic tank since his res is low). On Eagles your best choice for a flyer is wyvern Petra. Though she's just as fantastic if not more so as an assassin. Her cap at damage output is lower than Felix but she has better evade and speed so imo she's one of the best infantry units you can run aside from the lords. Flayn's growths can be mediocre.

If your growths go anything like my BE run you're basically going to have Petra, Hubert, and Dorothea clearing mobs, Lindhardt doing heals and teleports, Edelgard and Ferdinand tanking damage (though in Edelgard's case she would almost always counterkill). I let Caspar die so I'm not gonna comment on the recruits.

EDIT: But like GK said maybe Killer Weapons can help with him but I just sort of gave up on him being an offensive option and just used him to pull physical attackers towards my main offensive weapons.

I hadn't considered Petra for wyvern. She destroys worlds right now as a Thief (would be an Assassin if I had any advanced seals).

I'm not even sure what Killer Weapons are, but I'll keep an eye out. :laugh:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Read something about this game getting review bombed along with Astral Chain. Apparently this is how people react to this being a Nintendo exclusive.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I dropped Ferdinand from my lineup as soon as I could, didn't like his performance or personality. Also dropped Caspar and Linhardt.

Recruited Mercedes, Felix, Leonie and Lysithea to round out my BE team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Read something about this game getting review bombed along with Astral Chain. Apparently this is how people react to this being a Nintendo exclusive.
Astral Chain is one thing, but FE has been a Nintendo franchise for about 30 years.

The Console wars are a thing of the past. If you want to play the game then buy the system and stop whining.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Astral Chain is one thing, but FE has been a Nintendo franchise for about 30 years.

The Console wars are a thing of the past. If you want to play the game then buy the system and stop whining.

I believe Astral Chain is published by Nintendo in partnership with Platinum. Without knowing the details of who owns what in terms of the IP, I think that's still pretty clearly a Nintendo game.

While ideally I'd like all games available on as many platforms as possible, when the company that makes the system also owns or publishes the IP it's hard to blame them for exclusivity...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I dropped Ferdinand from my lineup as soon as I could, didn't like his performance or personality. Also dropped Caspar and Linhardt.

Recruited Mercedes, Felix, Leonie and Lysithea to round out my BE team.
Ferdinand's personality is next level after the time skip though.

Reactions: Turin

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I believe Astral Chain is published by Nintendo in partnership with Platinum. Without knowing the details of who owns what in terms of the IP, I think that's still pretty clearly a Nintendo game.

While ideally I'd like all games available on as many platforms as possible, when the company that makes the system also owns or publishes the IP it's hard to blame them for exclusivity...
Oh for sure, I don't disagree. People were really angry when Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive.

Astral Chain is a Switch exclusive but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it appeared on other platforms down the road.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Oh for sure, I don't disagree. People were really angry when Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive.

Astral Chain is a Switch exclusive but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it appeared on other platforms down the road.

Yes, although to be fair I understand the frustration with Bayonetta a little more as the original wasn't an exclusive. That said, there was talk that the sequel wouldn't have happened without Nintendo backing it, so.....

Either way, exclusives are not ideal, but there are trade-offs: typically they are better games and are actually optimized for the system. :laugh:

My biggest problem with it is that I don't think review bombing helps anyone, but I guess that's sort of the only way to have their feedback heard....not that I put really any stock into review numbers personally.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, although to be fair I understand the frustration with Bayonetta a little more as the original wasn't an exclusive. That said, there was talk that the sequel wouldn't have happened without Nintendo backing it, so.....

Either way, exclusives are not ideal, but there are trade-offs: typically they are better games and are actually optimized for the system. :laugh:

My biggest problem with it is that I don't think review bombing helps anyone, but I guess that's sort of the only way to have their feedback heard....not that I put really any stock into review numbers personally.
I think it's just screaming into the wind. Reviews, while still helpful, don't have the clout they used to have.

Exclusives are always going to be a thing and you're not likely to see Mario and gang on a PlayStation in official capacity anytime soon.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Just bought this game less than two weeks ago as the first real title for my Switch, and wow is all I can say. Haven't been this addicted to a game in years. Near the end of the Golden Deer path and the constant sense of progress, the engaging characters (even for a FE game), and the general plot have all been really enjoyable.

Kept everyone in my class alive, even the stuck up Lorenz has had something to offer (other than being a terrific mage).

Will probably finish this weekend, then take a breather before embarking on NG+ and the Black Eagles. Best game I've played in a years.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad